Commencal DH, Transition Blindside, Chumba F5, or Santa Cruz V-10.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Commencal DH, Transition Blindside, Chumba F5, or Santa Cruz V-10.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 20:10 Quote
I am in the market for my first downhill bike, and I have found very good deals on all of these bikes. They are all very different bikes and I will be using it for technical DH like Exit 27. I am 13 and weigh 130 pounds.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
Come on guys, i really need some help here. will any owners of any of these bikes post

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
They're all too big for you.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
sherbet wrote:
They're all too big for you.
not really, i can handle my friends yakuza kumicho just fine.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:09 Quote
I'm almost a buck sixty, and those bikes are borderline too big for me. A shorter travel bike would do you the best. The Commencal is the shortest, but it has braking and pedaling feedback. Best bet for first time DH rider? Buy a hardtail. You'll be a ton faster when you get a fully.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:12 Quote
i already have a hardtail that i DH on. a trek 4300. it sucks really bad and i only survived this long by being pretty smooth

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:13 Quote
Keep riding it for as long as you can. How long have you been DH riding?

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:15 Quote
yeah dude at 13 its not worth it. i got a full suspension after graduating 8th grade and now as a sophomore i already need/want a new, better, bigger travel bike. buy either a used full suspension that will work for 2 years or so. look on craigs list. they have really good stuff for sometimes cheep

sherbet wrote:
I'm almost a buck sixty, and those bikes are borderline too big for me. A shorter travel bike would do you the best. The Commencal is the shortest, but it has braking and pedaling feedback. Best bet for first time DH rider? Buy a hardtail. You'll be a ton faster when you get a fully.

For once I agree with Sherbet, lol.
If you go for a fully get something with shorter travel, some people think no matter who you are you can ride ANY bike, But I compare it to dirtbikes, lol. If you get just any bike you could end up hurt.
If I was you I would get a HT, I almost am resilient to buy a fully, Because I like to show up these kids with there v10's etc, But seriously get a HT, like a Manik(I have one, its for sale, upgraded to the nines, lol) or something along those lines. I'm 14, 120 pounds and my cousin Big Hit is bigger than I prefer.
Hope I helped a bit.

about 8 months. i will probably be riding the hardtail until around december

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:18 Quote
pake wrote:
yeah dude at 13 its not worth it. i got a full suspension after graduating 8th grade and now as a sophomore i already need/want a new, better, bigger travel bike. buy either a used full suspension that will work for 2 years or so. look on craigs list. they have really good stuff for sometimes cheep
i'm definately looking used. i'm 13 so i am not getting some $8000 top of the line rig

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
freeride-life wrote:
sherbet wrote:

If you go for a fully get something with shorter travel, some people think no matter who you are you can ride ANY bike, But I compare it to dirtbikes, lol. If you get just any bike you could end up hurt.
If I was you I would get a HT, I almost am resilient to buy a fully, Because I like to show up these kids with there v10's etc, But seriously get a HT, like a Manik(I have one, its for sale, upgraded to the nines, lol) or something along those lines. I'm 14, 120 pounds and my cousin Big Hit is bigger than I prefer.
Hope I helped a bit.
i've tried my friends stuff w/ domains for DH. i don't like the feel of the long forked hardtail. it makes the front end and the back end seem like 2 different bikes

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:23 Quote
Ride hardtails for a year or two. Replace as it breaks. Work and save up for a sick new ride in the meantime. If you're a little older and weigh a bit more, you can get a bike that will last for years, without much change.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Ride hardtails for a year or two. Replace as it breaks. Work and save up for a sick new ride in the meantime. If you're a little older and weigh a bit more, you can get a bike that will last for years, without much change.
thanks man, i probably will. with the way the economy is right now a bike is probably not the best investment

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 at 21:27 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
freeride-life wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Hope I helped a bit.
i've tried my friends stuff w/ domains for DH. i don't like the feel of the long forked hardtail. it makes the front end and the back end seem like 2 different bikes

Stuuf's aren't really made for big forks, my geometry on my manik feels amazing with my domain 302's(180 mm) and with a HT you really learn to use your legs to absorb obstacles to.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008986
Mobile Version of Website