trying to pull Race Face Evolve DH cranks lose from the frame.......

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
trying to pull Race Face Evolve DH cranks lose from the frame.......
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 19:11 Quote
.......so I can replace the external BB. I just cannot get the interface at the splines to budge at all, an the cranks won't move a mm. I'm worried about forcing it too hard with a tool for leverage. Should I put on some anti-seize lube and wait a while?
ADVICE??

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 19:14 Quote
this is a prime example of why e-type sucks and why howitzers are ten times better your best bet is too remove the bb cup on the side that the crank arm is still on.

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 19:14 Quote
You really need a crank puller/extractor. Your lbs will have one forsure. I think it can be done with leverage, but so much more easily done with the right tool.

Trevor

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 21:25 Quote
ajaxpowder wrote:
this is a prime example of why e-type sucks and why howitzers are ten times better your best bet is too remove the bb cup on the side that the crank arm is still on.

yah great advice if either of the crank arms were off at all....I cannot get either side to budge.

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 21:29 Quote
magicaltrevor wrote:
You really need a crank puller/extractor. Your lbs will have one forsure. I think it can be done with leverage, but so much more easily done with the right tool.

Trevor

I have crank pullers for isis and for square tapers, but I wasn't aware that there was such a tool for these external types. I don't visualize how it would work, given that there isn't much for a puller to grab or get a grip against.

any other ideas??

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 21:29 Quote
k... first of all do you have x-type?! if you do have x-type it has a built in crank puller... its really simple to take the crank off... rightey tightey lefty loosey....

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 21:49 Quote
louis2468routier wrote:
k... first of all do you have x-type?! if you do have x-type it has a built in crank puller... its really simple to take the crank off... rightey tightey lefty loosey....

yah I just figured out why that outside cap moved as a separate piece, I thought it was intended as just a bolt guard for the face of the 8mm underneath. DUH..blonde moment.
thanx.

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 22:15 Quote
No problem dude!!! you shouldve seen my friend try to take off his when he first got it... FUNNAY!!!

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 8:47 Quote
Impact gun. It's the only reasonable way with Race Face. You might bend or snap a regular allen key, or bruise your hands trying. I've had a couple strip out the "self removing" cap and had to use a torch, the vise and large ugly tools. Those things are on there TIGHT.

Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 9:06 Quote
put synthetic grease on the threads....

Posted: Oct 28, 2007 at 13:32 Quote
louis2468routier wrote:
put synthetic grease on the threads....

yep, consider it done.

and for that matter....it's all good now. I was just not having a very "on" evening in the garage yesternight.

I needed sleep I think.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
thanks guys this also helped me out too the 4 step one worked wonders.

Posted: Jun 11, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
canadianrider22 wrote:
if the crazks are x-type this is how you get the cranks off.
Here is what you need:

an 8mm and 10mm allen wrench..thats all.

step 1:

loosen off the 10mm cap not all the way(so about 2-3 threads are still in tact.

step 2:

loosen off the 8mm bolt on the inside until you back it right into the 10mm cap.

step 3:

tighten the 10mm cap. (it may not seem possible and may feel like you may strip something but you wont). tighten its all the way in, you should be able to see the cranks slowly making its way off the axel.

step 4:

repeat the steps 1-3 until you can pull the crank arm off
(you usually have to do it about 3 times)

and voila!

wrong forums but heres what i was talking about.

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 9:07 Quote
canadianrider22 wrote:
canadianrider22 wrote:
if the crazks are x-type this is how you get the cranks off.
Here is what you need:

an 8mm and 10mm allen wrench..thats all.

step 1:

loosen off the 10mm cap not all the way(so about 2-3 threads are still in tact.

step 2:

loosen off the 8mm bolt on the inside until you back it right into the 10mm cap.

step 3:

tighten the 10mm cap. (it may not seem possible and may feel like you may strip something but you wont). tighten its all the way in, you should be able to see the cranks slowly making its way off the axel.

step 4:

repeat the steps 1-3 until you can pull the crank arm off
(you usually have to do it about 3 times)

and voila!

wrong forums but heres what i was talking about.

by doing that i stripped the crap out of the little shitty 10 mm bolt, what now

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 9:56 Quote
heres an easier way to get this done,

keep the 10mm bolt on

and keep loosening the 8mm benieth the 10mm

then it will come off so easy

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008609
Mobile Version of Website