Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Giant Reign X Frame - Help me out!
O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
get teh one with sweet shox

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
I rode a fully blown float in a DH race and finished my run it wasn't stuck down if your air shock gets stuck down its because you have blown yourrebound and copression chambers the same thing would happen should you blow your rebound in an coil.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Reign89 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

If you're in a DH run, and your wheels taco, would you finish it? Nope. You better get the absolutely heaviest wheels you can find, then.

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean, but that doesn't mean it makes sence... if your shock blows up, do your wheels still turn? not the same situation as a tacoed wheel...

I'm using it as an example, I'm not literally saying a blown shock is going to stop your wheels from turning...

my point is you can still finish a run with a blown shock. not with a tacoed wheel.
finishing a run with a stuck down air shock will make your bike a hardtail and finishing a run with a blown coil shock will make your bike feel like a trampoline...

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:57 Quote
samnation wrote:
I rode a fully blown float in a DH race and finished my run it wasn't stuck down if your air shock gets stuck down its because you have blown yourrebound and copression chambers the same thing would happen should you blow your rebound in an coil.

not really, cuz the coil with make it rebound. as it was said before, when the air shock gets stuck is because the positive air pressure gets into the negative pressure chamber causing it to stick

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
At the shop that I work at, I think I saw 4 blown DHX Coils. With 2 DHX air's with stick down issues. Not buying something because it might fail is just silly, when performance is the gain. Personally I love the ride of the AIR over the COIL. The coil to be feels like shit (I have ridden them tuned to my weight, I just found it very dead feeling and boring), the AIR's that I have riden are much more plush, way smoother and in my experience better small bump absorption.

How about this ground-breaking idea? Buy the frame ride it until the shock sticks down/blows up. I bet you won't have a problem with it. There is no point changing the shock before you have a problem on speculation that it might fail.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
PS, if the frame already comes with a DHX air, why spend more money to save money?

Mod
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 13:25 Quote
sherbet wrote:
PS, if the frame already comes with a DHX air, why spend more money to save money?

Do you not read what I post? I already asked the same thing! Razz

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Do you not read what I post? I already asked the same thing! Razz

Just bringing it back up. Most of the points you said have already been ignored.

Just as they say "your carefully worded arguments can, and will, be ignored"

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 15:01 Quote
Sherbet and Laurie - I'm not planning on buying a Reign X frame brand new. I worded my original statement wrong to make it sound like I was going to buy a Reign X and then switch out the shock - that is not the case.

My plan is to buy a used small 2008 Reign X frame, and since there are a lot of them around, I was bringing this up because many of the frames available on Pinkbike have different shocks, and I want to know what I should look for. Buying a Reign X frame with a DHX Air and then buying a new rear shock for it would be a complete waste of money just for subtle differences and some different features.

Most Reign X frames on PB have different shocks because they usually were purchased as a bike - the Reign X1, X2, or X0. Every build in the Reign X series has a different rear shock. That is the reason for my inquiry.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 15:21 Quote
merkel wrote:
Sherbet and Laurie - I'm not planning on buying a Reign X frame brand new. I worded my original statement wrong to make it sound like I was going to buy a Reign X and then switch out the shock - that is not the case.

My plan is to buy a used small 2008 Reign X frame, and since there are a lot of them around, I was bringing this up because many of the frames available on Pinkbike have different shocks, and I want to know what I should look for. Buying a Reign X frame with a DHX Air and then buying a new rear shock for it would be a complete waste of money just for subtle differences and some different features.

Most Reign X frames on PB have different shocks because they usually were purchased as a bike - the Reign X1, X2, or X0. Every build in the Reign X series has a different rear shock. That is the reason for my inquiry.

truffles frame is a small has a dhx 3 and is 2008 for 1000

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
Truffles' frame has been mentioned about 4 times throughout this thread, (not chewing you out or anything) and I am seriously considering his frame because it is almost brand new and with a great shock, not to mention a great price (he told me he would go down to 900).

But many people are locally (southern Ontario) selling Reign X full bikes, and I have contacted a few of them to ask if I can buy the frame only. Somebody who lives in Hamilton (about 20 minutes away from me) Said he would do $900.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
I'm sure you would be more than satisfied with that purchase.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
I have a few more stupid little questions about the Reign X frame:

1. Are there different rear shock mounts to adjust travel/BB height/wheel base?

2. How is the headtube angle with a 160mm fork, because I hate having a really stretched out front end - it seems to hinder the performance of forks.

3. How is the seat tube length for "modulating" your seat height for different rides? I like putting my seat pretty high for XC but really low obviously for DH or anything of the sorts.

4. This is a stupid question - but how is the frame for dinkin' around on out on the street or riding around town? Is it a bitch to pedal around pavement with the longer rear travel?

Thanks a lot!

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:03 Quote
merkel wrote:
I have a few more stupid little questions about the Reign X frame:

1. Are there different rear shock mounts to adjust travel/BB height/wheel base?

2. How is the headtube angle with a 160mm fork, because I hate having a really stretched out front end - it seems to hinder the performance of forks.

3. How is the seat tube length for "modulating" your seat height for different rides? I like putting my seat pretty high for XC but really low obviously for DH or anything of the sorts.

4. This is a stupid question - but how is the frame for dinkin' around on out on the street or riding around town? Is it a bitch to pedal around pavement with the longer rear travel?

Thanks a lot!
1. you can't change the shock position
2. the headtube angle is the one on the giant site because it comes with a 160mm fork
3. with a full lenght, uncut seat post, you have about 3.5-4 inches of seatpost showing...
4. if you're sitting down, so get very minimal to zero suspension movement

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
merkel wrote:

truffles frame is a small has a dhx 3 and is 2008 for 1000

The Reign X comes with an air shock...the Reign X1 comes with a coil. The frames are identical. Why buy a Reign X and swap the shock when you can get a Reign X1 with a coilover.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010615
Mobile Version of Website