Downhill Training

| Next Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
This is what I do circuit training with strength training, I do a 3 day split day one push circuit movements, day 2 pull circuit movements and day 3 is pure strength movements. The circuit day is minumum 5 exercises 25 reps per set 5 sets no rest between exercise other that the time to move from machice to machine, then rest 30seconds between sets and repeat. Add an exercise from 5 till 10 every 2 weeks the strength day is deadlift, benchpress, squat, barbell curl, dips. 3 sets max 4-8 reps per set. I do 10min cardio to warm up and abbs and lower back then as much cardio as I can do at the end of every workout.

This is what I do in the gym to get ready for the race season, I back off the gym work when race season starts I don't like to overtrain. The most critical points to remember is technique over weight always, the weights will come up in the circuit after a while this is a ton of work to do keep the weight low enough to get no less than 20 reps. Keep track of workouts weights etc, this is a must no guess work. You will see gains over time, look over an entire training season and the gains are huge.

As for supplements protein is always good, your body uses protein to repair tissue that is broken down during the training process. Lots of clean protein sources is a must during training, the magic supplement is L-Glutamine it's the only one you need ever. The basic purpose of L-Glutamine is recovery from training and maintain immune system. The most important aspects of training to make gains is Recovery
When starting this kind of intense training you must listen to your body if you need to take a days break then do so, another aspect of training that I implement is plyometrics.

Posted: Jun 20, 2008 at 14:08 Quote
This is a good thread and very useful. Thanks.

One of the things I do is I do weekly road races and I do some road riding down hills. The only time I have gone over 110km/h is on a road bike. It gives you a feel for the intense speed. This confidence transferred to DH can help.

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
TwO words .... cross country

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 at 21:27 Quote
shimaceo wrote:
What is "eating right" when training to race DH?

I suppose it's relative to where you are in your training as well to some degree. Otherwise, is it all protein-shakes, eggs and pasta or is it more of a lean version of the common-sense diet: don't over-eat any one thing, stay away from too much fat/cholesterol, lots of fruit and veg, smaller portions and snacking throughout the day?

PS - for those of us who don't have the time of money to go to Colorado, what's a more realistic approach? James Wilson's course sounds amazing mind you! It would be very nice to have someone in the BC Lower Mainland who could supply something similar. I suppose Shaums' courses come pretty close.
shaums has some of the best tips youll ever hear about cornering and looking ahead hes an awesome coach and super cool guy.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:22 Quote
Theirs plenty of drills and whatever to practise but i'll give you a few

Everyday find time to practise sprinting, you can just do it in your driveway or on the road

Ride cross country as much as you possibly can.

Dont be afraid to push yourself thats how you get better

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
What is everybody doing for "off season" training?

I go to the gym anywere from 2-4times a week. I try and eat healthy. But what about the other aspecs of DH. like Balance? is there any balancing exercies that any of you care to share?

I like the idea of doing the sprinting on the bike bike everyday and Im going to start that but once again... what about juring the winter?

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 9:24 Quote
Weight lifting 4 times a week, every week of the year.

Monday: legs

Wednesday: upper arms, abs and calves

friday: back, neck and forearms

sunday: chest and shoulders

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
nipps wrote:
What is everybody doing for "off season" training?

I go to the gym anywere from 2-4times a week. I try and eat healthy. But what about the other aspecs of DH. like Balance? is there any balancing exercies that any of you care to share?

I like the idea of doing the sprinting on the bike bike everyday and Im going to start that but once again... what about juring the winter?

http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/ All you need.

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 21:48 Quote
Riding a Bmx or a Dj bike.. Which would be better cross training bike to ride

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009824
Mobile Version of Website