Anyone have trouble fitting 08 Marzocchi DJ3's with a FSA DH PRO headset?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Anyone have trouble fitting 08 Marzocchi DJ3's with a FSA DH PRO headset?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 7:42 Quote
I bought a FSA DH PRO headset (1 1/8") to throw on my DJ bike build and I am having trouble fitting the headset tight to base of the steer tube on my DJ3's. If I leave the race on the bottom of the headset it doesnt slide all the way to be base of the steer tube and if I take it off the cartbridge isnt protected very well. anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
that steel washer is called the headset "race" you need to have it on the fork for the bearing to be seated on. If it wont slide down you should push it down with a hammer and a straight blade screwdriver until its all the way seated flat on the top of your crown.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:00 Quote
peach wrote:
that steel washer is called the headset "race" you need to have it on the fork for the bearing to be seated on. If it wont slide down you should push it down with a hammer and a straight blade screwdriver until its all the way seated flat on the top of your crown.

Is the fork originally made for ball bearings and if it is will a sealed cartridge still work? Im thinking it would be worth taking to my lbs to do, would it?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
airmunkey wrote:
peach wrote:

Is the fork originally made for ball bearings and if it is will a sealed cartridge still work? Im thinking it would be worth taking to my lbs to do, would it?
Did you take your old headset race off the fork? Every headset uses a different race. You can't use your new headset with your old bearing race still on the fork.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
Unless Im blind I did ya. It just doesnt seem like the race can be hammered on without ruining something.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
It should fit on really tight, if you think its to tight then you can always take a file and make the hole in the crown race a hair larger so it will go on easyer.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
Hmm. I'll give that a try and take a more in depth look at the whole setup. I hate taking such petty things to the lbs so thanks for the help. If I have any more questions, I'll post. Thanks Peach

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:12 Quote
If you can't work out how to fix the problem. Post a pic so I can see whats going on with it.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:14 Quote
peach wrote:
If you can't work out how to fix the problem. Post a pic so I can see whats going on with it.
Ya for sure...just got a sick Canon Rebel SLR so the pic would be crystal clear...I'll do that when I get a chance.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:15 Quote
i had the same problem with my fsa the pig headset you just have to gently tap it down with a soft hammer it wont damage it when it gets going it get easyer

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:17 Quote
joshie-beardy wrote:
i had the same problem with my fsa the pig headset you just have to gently tap it down with a soft hammer it wont damage it when it gets going it get easyer

sweet, a rubber mallet and rubber coated screw driver work best?

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:18 Quote
all steerer tubes get a little "thicker" about 1/2-1" from the base...u need to get the crown race to that point then hammer it down...a piece of pvc pipe works the best....just slide the pvc pipe over your steerer tube so it makes contact with the crown race and hammer the top of the pvc pipe...u can put a block of wood over the top of the pipe so it distributes the force somewhat evenly over the crown race....or just hammer the pipe in a circular pattern

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 8:18 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
all steerer tubes get a little "thicker" about 1/2-1" from the base...u need to get the crown race to that point then hammer it down...a piece of pvc pipe works the best....just slide the pvc pipe over your steerer tube so it makes contact with the crown race and hammer the top of the pvc pipe...u can put a block of wood over the top of the pipe so it distributes the force somewhat evenly over the crown race....or just hammer the pipe in a circular pattern

Thanks guys

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.036238
Mobile Version of Website