WHY are carrera banshee,s so bad?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
WHY are carrera banshee,s so bad?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 13:47 Quote
hiya folks, im just wondering, everywhere i look says carrera banshee,s are $hit, total crap, waste of money ect. but no one ever says WHY their so bad.

so come on then, why are they so bad Wink

dave

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
^^^ Learn to spell (and give reasons for your pathetic comments)
Indeed
bikeradar
[Quoten]
Despite the bike's low price, the 140mm Epicon fork comes from high up the SR/Suntour range. It combines an easily adjustable air spring for accurate impact response with external rebound and compression/lockout damping adjustment. The rear coil shock has a lockout lever, so while schlepping 16kg of bike uphill is a labour of love, at least you don't have to fight against suspension bounce. Fast-rolling Tioga tyres help massage speed, but the edge tread is too shallow and spaced out for aggressive cornering on slippery trails.

With this much weight and downhill appetite under you though, the Tektro cable brakes need watching. Truvativ cranks and SRAM gearing do a dutiful job of powering the Banshee bulk, although the shifts are a bit plasticky and the cranks slightly flexy. A nine-speed rear cassette avoids any awkward ratio jumps

With its long shock and tall fork added to a high-rise bar and short top tube, the Banshee is very upright. Given it's designed for heading down steep stuff rather than charging up it, that's no bad thing. It certainly adds confidence when things get out of control and you just have to hang on and hope for the best, and it helps lift the nose off drops too. We stopped short of full scale hucking and Shore drops because the wheels and cranks aren't designed for impacts that big.

Overall handling balance is good, with the wide bar and short stem giving a bit of power steering assistance to the naturally steady steering angles.While the basic spring rate is fine, it also takes some balancing of the damping lever to sort the rear shock. We did eventually stop it pogo-ing dangerously without it slamming against the compression damping, although it always tended to kick back hard with a savage top-out clunk. The Tektro brakes started working better after a few runs where there wasn't much stopping, just a burning smell. However, control was always slightly random.

A fair amount of flex in the fork and some from the rear of the frame added to an often wayward feel, and we were constantly pulling the Banshee back from the edge of disaster during testing.

[/Quoten]

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
a need to learn how to spell shut ya sh*t and what i said is a good reason and they snap very easy like my friend did after 8 mouth

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
littlelenny5 wrote:
a need to learn how to spell shut ya sh*t

Sort yourself out FFS.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
littlelenny5 wrote:
a need to learn how to spell shut ya sh*t

Why is it bad just because it comes from halfords? They sell some half decent Konas you know..

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:52 Quote
littlelenny5 wrote:
a need to learn how to spell shut ya sh*t and what i said is a good reason and they snap very easy like my friend did after 8 mouth

lol

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 8:53 Quote
LittleLenny, You have been Lol'd at by DM. That is serious.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 9:07 Quote
Gaz6R4 wrote:
LittleLenny, You have been Lol'd at by DM. That is serious.

The Internet. Serious Business. Or not..

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
dirtjumpur wrote:
Why is it bad just because it comes from halfords? They sell some half decent Konas you know..

Well kona's are a personal opinion but even if they sold top end bike the vast majority of the staff are monkeys and can't correctly assemble a bike.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:03 Quote
rossgirvan wrote:
dirtjumpur wrote:

Well kona's are a personal opinion but even if they sold top end bike the vast majority of the staff are monkeys and can't correctly assemble a bike.

That is true, but it doesn't really automatically make Banshees bad though.

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 11:23 Quote
I used to work in halfords so i know these bikes. They are pretty awful, fair enough the linkage is proven to work, but the shock is positioned all wrong, the leverage ratios aren't the same as a kona (the old ones) and the shock just doesnt perform. The frame isnt great, its heavy and makes some horrible sounds under pressure.

So starting with a bad frame to hang everything off isnt a good start. The forks are pretty shoddy as well, really jerky and top out with a loud clunk. I know the bike is only 500 quid but the spec is rubbish, for that you could buy a half decent hardtail or a good second hand bike.

So yeah overall your reasons for it being crap isnt because 'its from halfords' its just not a very well designed or thought out bike, with some geometry changes and sorting the suspension out it could be a alright frame to upgrade parts on but until they sort out the frame (if they ever will) I would personally stay well clear.

P.S The guys at bike radar dont have a clue, they wouldnt give a bad review of AIDS!

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
know what you mean there I rode a banshee for about 5 meters and was the worst feeling bike id ever ridden, a hard tail of the same price is just bliss compared

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010639
Mobile Version of Website