WHY are carrera banshee,s so bad?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
WHY are carrera banshee,s so bad?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 1:03 Quote
itlnrider wrote:
I ride a Carrera Banshee 2009, I am sorry for all those riders who feel happy to put their lovely a..s on a £1300 Kona ...they have just wasted £1300!!!
Sram x-5 2009, Truvativ crank and parts, Raidon suspensions..and a strong box frame on the front..just to say a little about the bike! I bought my bike in 2009 and after 30 minutes I already understood that the Mechanics from Conswater in Belfast can probably do better if they sell vegetables, not build Bikes!
The brake hoses were almost empty and the fork wobbling!!! Halford did not want do anything for free has I didn't want pay for their insurance...however I am mechanical Engineer, so I fix, repair and INVENT any bike part if necessary!
I have seen a "Specialized" bikes and a Kona literally folding the fork on the same jump that my Carrera Bashee X 2009 consider a good " tires warm up"! Not a single puncture in 2496 miles/5 years of ride!
I have upgraded the bike with Marzocchi Forks and rode in Cannock Chase the "Walleater" just last week after 5years of ownership..sorry guy, what a wonderful Cheap Piece of Mechanical art I bought!
if you don't know how to maintain a bike feel free to pay mechanics that will put your bike in the condition to break soon and buy their crap stuff from their shop!
Thanks

Ive got a banshee and i was looking for some upgrades, what fork and rear shock are you using? i currently have the radion rear shock as the original bottomed out as it was well entruely f****d and yeah... what travel are you using?

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 1:03 Quote
noxxie wrote:
haha! it actually does...

i was just going to say, ive got a banshee, it was the best frame i could afford at the time. its pretty good, i built it from a frame, and ive ridden a standard one. older ones tend to shake them selves apart after rough treatment. like the bushing bolts all work their way out, youv got to make sure that shit is threadlocked.

anyway, ive got a 2009 frame and its fine. the rear triangle is a bit flexy though, its kind of annoying gets quite noticable sometimes. I'm going to try using a 10mm bolt through axle to stiffen it up, see if that helps or not.

also, the rear shock really is crap, theres no setting that feels just right. and the thing is unbeleivable fragile. ive had 2 of them now, both the raidon and the epicon, the nitrogen in the bottom of the damper sometimes gets past the ifp and locks your shock to like half travel. after that is f*cked. you just cant get an adapter to repressurize them. i have no dea how suntour do it, its just a bolt that holds the nitrogen in. so yeah....

what fork and rear shock are you using now? also what cranks, and are you still running the 24 speed as standard?

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 16:23 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
but its the truth, carrera bikes like apollos are specially made for halfords. So therefore they are crap. Its just like tescos own stuff. It looks a bit like the original product only its the cheap crap version that no one really likes. lol

Read The Labels you fool then you will see what is the real crap Tesco only use natural ingredient in their food big brand companies are under are a lot more pressure to keep you wanting what they are selling as they speshalise in what sell were as companies that sell a multitude of thins can afford to sell them cheapaire i wish more people would learn to think for them selves instead of listening to big brand advertising all the time there would be a lot more great stuff available at a lot more reasonable prices then

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 13:13 Quote
Iv heard there meant to be bad aswell but iv got the 2013 version as a replacement to my Azonic Saber and will say that when I got it and took it home it was a horrible ride but after doing some upgrades to it from the parts off my old frame e.g removing the god aweful front forks and rear shock plus a couple of other things the bike has improved alot and I now use it for DH, I will say that it will never be as good as the more expensive brands but it works fine for me plus does well on DH and was a nice upgrade as it was slightly lighter than my Saber, also my page says it all its a solid bike

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 23:09 Quote
Bought my son a banshee 2nd hand for £100 and it's almost identical to my 2004 kona dawg deluxe but is much lower spec on components.
Decided the Forks felt terrible in comparison so bought 2nd hand 2 year old solo air rock shox. The rear shock already had adjustable rebound and lockout so I put a 550lbs spring on the rear shock in place of the 750LBS spring and all feels nice.
Standard spec is what it is and ok for everything but doesn't feel as nice as with the higher spec parts which is a no brainer isn't it.
it isn't difficult to grab cheap upgrades.
Might upgrade to an air rear shock if I find one sensibly priced.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 8:36 Quote
I know this is old but some people on this feed are dumb. How the f*ck can a hard tail be more comfortable that a full suspension??? Granted the shop rear shock that comes on the banshee is crap absolutely horse poop. I swapped it out for a fox triad and it's smooth as soaks up everything I hit. Still today I trial on a carrera banshee and don't see what's everyone's problem with them

I've ridden numerous full suspension bikes... granted the carrera banshee is no lapiere (excuse the spelling) zesty but its a good full suspension bike

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 22:50 Quote
Defo agree the banshee is a cracking bike bar the sus it came with which was terrible but loved mine to the bitter end, do miss it
Potter420 wrote:
I know this is old but some people on this feed are dumb. How the f*ck can a hard tail be more comfortable that a full suspension??? Granted the shop rear shock that comes on the banshee is crap absolutely horse poop. I swapped it out for a fox triad and it's smooth as soaks up everything I hit. Still today I trial on a carrera banshee and don't see what's everyone's problem with them

I've ridden numerous full suspension bikes... granted the carrera banshee is no lapiere (excuse the spelling) zesty but its a good full suspension bike

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 15:24 Quote
I have a carrera banshee x dont no what year but some of them was made by kona just like kona made some x-rated hardtail jump bikes for halfords aswell that had 3 peice crank and chain roller with better forks. As halfords was the only ones at one point who had kona contract in the uk and had frames made at the same time but put there own carrera name on them.

A lot of company's use the same frame manufacturers but have there own colour and stickers for them.

But back to my carrera it has a rock shox on the back and waiting for a pair of new rock shox for the front have better brakes on it i weigh 17.5 srone and it handles my weight and the abuse i give it have hucked it down 15 stairs done downhill and a little north shore on it and it is fine.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
littlelenny5 wrote:
a need to learn how to spell shut ya sh*t and what i said is a good reason and they snap very easy like my friend did after 8 mouth

Omg mate you can’t even spell month????

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Ha love all the Carrera Banshee hate on here, makes me want to fix mine up and go ride more!

I have just just acquired a very cheap...£40 "murdered out" black Banshee X frame, looks pretty cool to be honest, it has an X- Fusion coil spring rear?

Planning a frame up build from a donor TREK Series 5 I have had in the garage for years, Shimano deore drivetrain + brakes etc, so not bad gear, 140mm Fox front fork should do it or RockShox equivalent, see what eBay can wash up, going to be a cheap build, but should be fun, hopefully set it up as a 1x9 single speed also, with some IXF cranks

Why is everyone so hung up on brands? I have a Calibre Gauntlet 650b Hardtail and a Specialized Epic FSR also, with the Calibre being my go to bike at the moment, I am sure someone will have an opinion on Calibre also as a "catalogue" brand from GoOutdoors, but the specs are pretty impressive on these bikes.

Looking forward to embarrassing some snobs on their £3k bikes soon, on my Halfords special frankenbike Big Grin

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
I have a CB SE model bought new from Halfords for £320 in 1999 - YES last century. Still got it in 2021 and still a good bike.
If you're hardcore and want to spend big bucks then go ahead but for the price the Carrera Banshee is a lot of bike for the money. Cheap enough to get into a sport without busting your wallet and will service you well.
Anybody who states different is a bit of a bike snob, remember the more money you spend always has depreciating returns on quality, lightness, in vogue, etc., once you reach a tipping point. for me that tipping point is around 5-700£.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020134
Mobile Version of Website