Who else works on there bike?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Who else works on there bike?
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 17:53 Quote
i do almost all my rrepairs and all my mantnece, i find its really fun to work on your bike, and you know that your sucure with your bike and if it f*cks up. your faulBig Grin

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 17:58 Quote
It's fun to work on your bike and learn how it works.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 17:58 Quote
[Quote="javzx7"]
suckafreedmr wrote:
Only dumbass rich posers bring their rides to the shop

Or people that don't know how to do a specific repair and don't want to risk f*cking up their bike so they go to a shop where they have a buddy or know the guys, pay for the repair, and see first hand how to do it so they no next time? (I'm not talking about minor repairs, I'm talking about say a hub rebuild, when your new your going to end up putting it back together backwards)

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 18:02 Quote
I work on all my bikes. I have built 6 hardtails and am building a FR bike now. I try and do all my repairs. Hell I have even made some of my own tools for specific jobs.
I am never afraid to ask a local shop for help when needed though. I like to support the shops, because they hook me up.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 19:31 Quote
-nate- wrote:
suckafreedmr wrote:
Only dumbass rich posers bring their rides to the shop

I send my bike to the shop for everything, lubing the chain, changing a flat, anything - I personally hate working on bikes. And hey, if noone took their rides to shops, there wouldn't be any shops. To each his own, eh?

nate

I second that

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 19:39 Quote
Everything described in the Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair (by park tools) should be done by yourself. everything else should be done by a bike shop that you trust with your bike

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 19:43 Quote
I work on just about everything on my bike, the only thing I can't do if like fork adjustment as I havn't tried as I ride bmx and lacing wheels and truing them.

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:16 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
hey, i put my headset races on my fork with pvc pipe... does that make me a dirtbag?

oo, and i banged chain pins in with a rock!

Ha! The Rock is pretty caveman-ish. Sounds like me. When I'm at my moms house, she has no tools, so I usually have to substitute common household objects for tools (butterknife = flat head screwdriver).

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:20 Quote
you name i can fix it but only if i can see it, the only thing i can't fix is the fork and shock they are too complex

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
yeah, the rock was pretty bad, but it was getting dark, and my buddy popped the pin all the way out with a chain tool, and the damn tool couldnt get the pin started! well, its colorado right? so i found the nearest flat faced rock, held the pin with twigs, and SMASH :-) worked mint

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:51 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
yeah, the rock was pretty bad, but it was getting dark, and my buddy popped the pin all the way out with a chain tool, and the damn tool couldnt get the pin started! well, its colorado right? so i found the nearest flat faced rock, held the pin with twigs, and SMASH :-) worked mint

Couldn't you have just take another link out, got it back togeather and nursed it home?

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 16:53 Quote
My bike is in the shop to have a wheel trued, that's all it ever goes in for.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 17:01 Quote
paulmboyle wrote:
It helps when you work at a shop. Then you can work on your stuff for free and have help right there when you need it. I like working in shops a lot.
not all shops allow that though

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 17:02 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:

Couldn't you have just take another link out, got it back togeather and nursed it home?

possibly, but not without seriously stressing the rear mech. It was a tight chain already, and on a single pivot, one that suspension gets compressed, that chain gets longer :-) so it was def worth smashing it :-)

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 at 18:04 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:

possibly, but not without seriously stressing the rear mech. It was a tight chain already, and on a single pivot, one that suspension gets compressed, that chain gets longer :-) so it was def worth smashing it :-)

Gottcha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019310
Mobile Version of Website