XC Bikes

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 14:27 Quote
lumberjerk wrote:
looks like you need a few more things with 'S's on them haha - nice stable!
My last name starts with "S", I just thought I'd go with the theme.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 14:32 Quote
SWenduro wrote:
Why buy a sworks epic and an sworks hardtail? That seems like some serious overlap. Im all for multiple bikes, but they have to be different bikes.

After years of riding FS bikes I was missing the feel of a HT, I had an epic a decided to buy the 2010 S-works 29er HT, I was hooked.
Truthfully I like riding the HT the most out of the 3, it is very responsive and is basically a tarmac for the Dirt. I actually ride it allot on the street. I take the epic out if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to pick lines. Some of the race courses in TX are real rocky and very suitable for the Epic, others are smooth and fast, Best on the HT.

For as fast as the epic is, it feels like a dog compared to the HT.

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 6:36 Quote
I Will Ride Anything in the Winter.
my epic will be here soon...
GO RIDE! SOMETHING!
Hell i m going to ride Something

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 3:45 Quote
2012 Cannondale Flash 29er Carbon 2.
2012 Cannonale Flash Carbon 29er 2.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 Quote
nice. I like the lefty in white, looks better imo.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 12:43 Quote
Drea wrote:
I've just moved the parts to a S-Works Stumpjumper HT 29 frame yesterday.. I want to try a high-end carbon VS my Ti bike to see if it's as good as I think.

I will keep the one I like the best.. Performance overrules..

Interested to hear what you think of carbon vs titanium.

I've known lots of carbon converts. Basically it comes down to titanium frames seem to be built like steel frames, so they get kind noodly. I'd like to try a custom made 140mm 29 HT with short stays and long top tube similar to a Kona, only made from titanium. It'd have the weight of a aluminum frame while being more compliant.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 17:33 Quote
Take a look at the Raijin from Kona. Shortish chain stays, and ti, can be used as a trail bike. I have looked into getting a Honzo frame made in Ti, but no one wants to try I guess it is to far from the norm to be made easily out of standard ti tubes. Closest some one was willing to do was going to $5000 for the frame. It wouldn't be much lighter than the stock honzo frame.

As for feel, carbon feels faster than ti, but some how more harsh. It absorbs the low frequency vibrations well, but doesn't have the same feel as ti. For a trail bike I would take steel or ti over carbon, for a race bike, carbon all the way.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 1:58 Quote
2.74 pound frame. Shits cray cray

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://daily.liftluxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/art.jpghttp://daily.liftluxe.com/categories/play/13262/a-bike-frame-that-weighs-less-than-a-macbook-air/

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 12:57 Quote
Scott beats that easily.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 14:11 Quote
The Scale doesn't look nearly as awesome though.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 15:51 Quote
I-CanDoRideTheBike wrote:
The Scale doesn't look nearly as awesome though.
It also doesn't get filled with mud.

Posted: Mar 4, 2012 at 18:34 Quote
Exactly. A few rides I've been on would have changed that frame from 2 to 35lbs by the time I finished.

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 at 7:20 Quote
Kootenaycycle wrote:
Closest some one was willing to do was going to $5000 for the frame. It wouldn't be much lighter than the stock honzo frame.

Your not looking in the right places.

I spoke with XCAD of China, sent them Honzo specs and frame drawings. They quoted me $1100 shipped to my door. This would include a CNC'd chainstay yoke, bent seat-tube, 660mm top-tube, 425mm chainstay, all the good stuff.

I'm flat broke, but there are way of changing some things on the bike to reduce the cost of the CNC'd yoke and bent seat tube. I think you could probably get XCAD to build you one for under $1000 shipped.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 2:35 Quote
You are right, I did not look at overseas production. I personally prefer a hand build by someone in North America. Still would not be much lighter than the stock Honzo frame, for a heck of alot more money. Max weight savings would be .5lb. According to the Ti guys I talked to, modern Chromo and Ti tubes are much closer in weight when it comes to the strength one would want in a frame like the Honzo.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 at 7:13 Quote
Kootenaycycle wrote:
You are right, I did not look at overseas production. I personally prefer a hand build by someone in North America. Still would not be much lighter than the stock Honzo frame, for a heck of alot more money. Max weight savings would be .5lb. According to the Ti guys I talked to, modern Chromo and Ti tubes are much closer in weight when it comes to the strength one would want in a frame like the Honzo.

Dead on. I'd probably be looking at around 5.5-6lbs in Ti vs the 6.5-7lbs in Chromo.

I've eyed the chinese carbon 29ers that are getting good reviews on MTBR as some folks are running 120mm forks with them and still hitting sub 25lbs.

Now if only someone would develop a 140mm slack and short stay 29er in carbon...hmmm

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040346
Mobile Version of Website