Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 11:08 Quote
Looking for people to shuttle with who ride with dogs, since I almost always ride with mine. Pace is a bit slower with water stops. Prefer trails with technical sections so dogs keep up. Consider myself advanced intermediate. Usually take Corksrew, Boogieman or B-nights on Seymour. I don't know Cypress, but would like to learn it. Just would suck to get lost with 2 dogs, so haven't been. Have a jeep with 2" hitch I don't care at all about so it can get dirty and beat up. Fits 3 people and 4 medium-large dogs. If you're in the same boat, PM me and we can see if things work out to get some good laps in. Can text me at 778-386-9794 too.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 20:11 Quote
Hey guys
I'm headed to Fromme this Sunday for the first time. (childhood dream to ride some north shore trails) Any suggestions on trails to absolutely do or to stay away from? My plan was to ride 7th Secret, Bookwus and Upper Oil Can, then it looks like there's lots of options after that. I'm in decent shape but i think after hitting those 3 trails and riding back up each time i may only have one more run in me. Should i do Ladys Only, Espresso, Pipe Line or something else to get back down?
thanks in advance.

cheers

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 6:05 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
Hey guys
I'm headed to Fromme this Sunday for the first time. (childhood dream to ride some north shore trails) Any suggestions on trails to absolutely do or to stay away from? My plan was to ride 7th Secret, Bookwus and Upper Oil Can, then it looks like there's lots of options after that. I'm in decent shape but i think after hitting those 3 trails and riding back up each time i may only have one more run in me. Should i do Ladys Only, Espresso, Pipe Line or something else to get back down?
thanks in advance.

cheers

If you are riding those and are successful with them then pipeline or ladies will be your trail. If you are burned out and done and just want a flow trail to rip out then espresso is a good option. I recommend for the full childhood dream experience to contact Endless biking guides (www.endlessbiking.ca) they can guide you through all of that and the other gems.

A few years back a loan rider from the states crashed and died on (pretty sure it was pipeline) and the unfortunate following group found him down. Had that fellow had a guide he would have known the stunt moves the way it does and would likely not fallen off and if he did fall off at least someone would be there to help and call for more.

Please come and enjoy our trails responsibly and consider making a donation to the local trail association www.nsmba.ca.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
Thanks man that's good info. I'll definitely check out endless biking. And yeah, I'll be there with 3 other people so no loan riding for me

Cheers

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 9:01 Quote
JHollowell wrote:
Hey guys
thanks in advance.

cheers

I personally think bookwus and oil can suck compared to other options. Just my opinion. I usually recommend a warm up on Floppy Bunny or Bobsled. Pedal up to 7th and ride down Leopard, Krinkem Krankem, and Kirkford. Then the Griffens. If you're not tired, pedal back up for Ladies Only or Espresso. Espresso requires a straight garbage ride out via the Baden Powell hiking trail, which in my opinion is the worst trail on the mountain (possibly all of North van? Up for debate). If you want to avoid that you can go down lower espresso and then down towards Dempsey street and ride the road all the way back to the parking lot. It's a haul though.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 20:24 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
JHollowell wrote:
Hey guys
thanks in advance.

cheers

I personally think bookwus and oil can suck compared to other options. Just my opinion. I usually recommend a warm up on Floppy Bunny or Bobsled. Pedal up to 7th and ride down Leopard, Krinkem Krankem, and Kirkford. Then the Griffens. If you're not tired, pedal back up for Ladies Only or Espresso. Espresso requires a straight garbage ride out via the Baden Powell hiking trail, which in my opinion is the worst trail on the mountain (possibly all of North van? Up for debate). If you want to avoid that you can go down lower espresso and then down towards Dempsey street and ride the road all the way back to the parking lot. It's a haul though.

JHollowell. If you're not good at or don't like slow speed tech or steeps then listen to what gbeaks said. FYI gbeaks not calling you out - simply acknowledging that not everyone likes slow speed janky tech

If you like slow speed technical trails and steeps then your original plan is fine.

If you have 3 other people then go with Endless Biking. The cost is not bad spread out among 3 and you'll have a great time.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 20:35 Quote
Thanks guys for the info. I'm liking what gbeaks is saying and good to know what are steep tech and what isn't. Probably going to hit the tech steep first then the flowy trails out. Thanks again for the info

Cheers

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 21:37 Quote
leelau wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
JHollowell wrote:
Hey guys
thanks in advance.

cheers

JHollowell. If you're not good at or don't like slow speed tech or steeps then listen to what gbeaks said. FYI gbeaks not calling you out - simply acknowledging that not everyone likes slow speed janky tech

If you like slow speed technical trails and steeps then your original plan is fine.

If you have 3 other people then go with Endless Biking. The cost is not bad spread out among 3 and you'll have a great time.

No worries bud, totally get it. Different strokes for different folks. In my experience I brought some friends from other bc areas to ride the shore and they weren't digging slow speed turbo-jank. And my suggested loop tends to be the best bet for first time shore riders. But after a few shore trips, the harder stuff does get interesting and I ended up liking them too. Just not as much.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 21:41 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
leelau wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

No worries bud, totally get it. Different strokes for different folks. In my experience I brought some friends from other bc areas to ride the shore and they weren't digging slow speed turbo-jank. And my suggested loop tends to be the best bet for first time shore riders. But after a few shore trips, the harder stuff does get interesting and I ended up liking them too. Just not as much.

Not to deraill Jhollowell's question but I took some German visitors down Corkscrew-Salvation- Boogieman first lap and there was a lot of "Scheisse" going on. So I hear you on that

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
Hey guys,

So first off i just want to give a big thanks to everyone that builds and maintains those trails. We had an awesome time yesterday. We ended up sticking with our original plan and rode 7th Secret, then Upper Oil Can, then Bookwus to Ladys Only then we made a wrong turn and missed Lower Ladys Only and rode the Baden Powell trail out. Which was probably a good thing because we were pretty whipped at that point. But man, you guys have some incredible trails out there. Loved the bridges on Oil Can and we rode most of the features with only some minor mishaps. I'll definitely be back to hit the rest of them and thanks again for all the info.

cheers

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
is it a bad idea to ride these days with all the smog thats out there? anyone have any experience lately going up?

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
is it a bad idea to ride these days with all the smog thats out there? anyone have any experience lately going up?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some sort of pre-existing lung condition

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
DandelionDan wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some sort of pre-existing lung condition

cool thanks for the heads up! i guess it just looks a lot worse than it is

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
Did 4 laps this morning and felt fine about it

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 18:54 Quote
kinlodesigns wrote:
DandelionDan wrote:
kinlodesigns wrote:

cool thanks for the heads up! i guess it just looks a lot worse than it is

Or you can trust the special air quality alert issued by Environment Canada.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030178
Mobile Version of Website