Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 18:26 Quote
sitobello wrote:
MatthewStranaghan wrote:
Was up at Fromme the other day and noticed they were building a new trail in between Bobsled and Floppy Bunny. There is a wooden bridge right by the turn in to the parking lot assuming that's the exit they haven't built the entrance yet. Anyone have and insight on what type of trail this will be? Flow, Tech or something else.
It will be a new exit for bobsled. I'm not sure if they will discontinue the current exit or have both

Interesting thanks for the insight.

Posted: Nov 19, 2017 at 20:17 Quote
MatthewStranaghan wrote:
sitobello wrote:
MatthewStranaghan wrote:
Was up at Fromme the other day and noticed they were building a new trail in between Bobsled and Floppy Bunny. There is a wooden bridge right by the turn in to the parking lot assuming that's the exit they haven't built the entrance yet. Anyone have and insight on what type of trail this will be? Flow, Tech or something else.
It will be a new exit for bobsled. I'm not sure if they will discontinue the current exit or have both

Interesting thanks for the insight.

DNV wanted the new spur to keep kids off the road and away from cars. It'll be a big asset to parents doing Bobsled laps with their kids.

The old exit will stay open for those of us that park further down the hill.

Posted: Nov 25, 2017 at 14:54 Quote
Anyone here driving to the Air Rec Center indoor bikepark during any weeknights? Im renting a bike there and can chip in for gas! Cheers

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 11:42 Quote
Construction of the Upper Mountain Path will impact Lower Tall Cans, Roach Hit, Brutus and Jump Line Exit. Brutus and Jump Line will be hit hardest, becoming part of the paved path.

Expect flagging and warning gates to go up soon and clearing to start in January. For safety reasons, during active construction trail crossings will be blocked but they'll try to make them passable at the end of the work day.

photo

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 10:22 Quote
Hy!
In January 2018 I will move to Nanaimo for my master's studies. As I am an enthusiastic downhill (and uphill) biker, I am already checking out several trails in the area. Therefore, I was wondering how I can transport my bike to the trails at mount seymour, cypress.

On trailfork.com I read that bikes are shuttleable (except mount framme), but do they mean that I have to transport the bike with my own car or is there any service that offer bike shuttling? Unfortunately I do not have an enduro, only a big bike (200mm travel) and doing uphill with that kind of bike is not so funny Smile
I have a hardtail bike too, but I dunno if it is fun riding with such a bike.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
Hy!
In January 2018 I will move to Nanaimo for my master's studies. As I am an enthusiastic downhill (and uphill) biker, I am already checking out several trails in the area. Therefore, I was wondering how I can transport my bike to the trails at mount seymour, cypress.

On trailfork.com I read that bikes are shuttleable (except mount framme), but do they mean that I have to transport the bike with my own car or is there any service that offer bike shuttling? Unfortunately I do not have an enduro, only a big bike (200mm travel) and doing uphill with that kind of bike is not so funny Smile
I have a hardtail bike too, but I dunno if it is fun riding with such a bike.

You would have to shuttle with your car or someone you know, though people here organize group shuttle rides. As far as I know, there's no company that does a shuttling service in Vancouver.

Also, you said you're moving to Nanaimo, which is on Vancouver Island. Does that mean you'll be taking the ferry to the mainland to ride the local mountains?

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 at 15:06 Quote
Probably mean Nanaimo Street right?

Hardtails are fine. Lots of people ride Chromags etc here as long as they are ok technical skills

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 at 4:33 Quote
Thank you for your reply!
Yes, I mean Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, which means, that I'd need to take a ferry ride to come to mainland.

I know that on Vancouver Island is a bikepark at Mt. Washington, but riding one park all the time will probably become boring after a while. Therefore, I am looking for alternatives for weekend rides.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 at 13:31 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
Yes, I mean Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, which means, that I'd need to take a ferry ride to come to mainland.

I know that on Vancouver Island is a bikepark at Mt. Washington, but riding one park all the time will probably become boring after a while. Therefore, I am looking for alternatives for weekend rides.

Riding on the island is awesome, man. You'll be able to find all sorts of sick spots without having to ferry over. It's like $90 or something insane like that to ferry across with a car if you were heading to the shore.

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 at 17:13 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:

Riding on the island is awesome, man. You'll be able to find all sorts of sick spots without having to ferry over. It's like $90 or something insane like that to ferry across with a car if you were heading to the shore.

You have for your DH bike Prevost, Mt Washington, Forbidden etc, For your hardtail you literally have more kms of singletrack in South Island then in many small European countries. You won't lack for riding opportunities

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 at 17:24 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:

Honestly there is so much riding to do on Vancouver Island that I doubt you will even want to come back to the lower mainland haha. If you do it's an easy ferry ride to get out to West Vancouver from Nanimo and you can shred the northshore!

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
As others have said, DH bike will be more fun at Mt. Prevost (Stevie Smith home trails) and up at Mt. Washington. Cypress is good for DH but Seymour it is overkill IMO, more fun on trail/enduro. Obviously you should also go to Whistler if you have not been.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 at 19:49 Quote
I agree, Seymour doesn't need a dh bike. Some of thr trails are gnarly, for sure. But i rode it lots on a 140mm trail bike. There is a good climb trail in the middle that def beats grinding up the road.

I never did ride cypress when u lived in Vancouver. Had enough fun at fromme, Seymour, and SFU.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:55 Quote
Anyone interested in shuttling between Dempsey and mt.hwy parking lot tomorrow around 11am? Pm me if interested I have room for 1 bike.

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
gramboh wrote:
As others have said, DH bike will be more fun at Mt. Prevost (Stevie Smith home trails) and up at Mt. Washington. Cypress is good for DH but Seymour it is overkill IMO, more fun on trail/enduro. Obviously you should also go to Whistler if you have not been.

T-ROB wrote:
Honestly there is so much riding to do on Vancouver Island that I doubt you will even want to come back to the lower mainland haha. If you do it's an easy ferry ride to get out to West Vancouver from Nanimo and you can shred the northshore!

Thank you so much guys! I will check out Mt. Prevost for sure - do I need to shuttle my bike on my own?. I have already heard about Mt. Washington. Have you ever been there? How is it? I will definitely check out Whistler as well, but first I would like to check out trails and bike parks close to Nanaimo as it is more comfy. Probably will check out Cypress one day.

I did the mtb bike park in Rotorua where I had to paddle up and then rode trails, this was the best actually. Here in Austria it doesn't make much sense to have a trailbike, as it is mostly forbidden to ride on non-bikepark trails.
Sorry for being offtopic folks!

[Quote="leelau"]
gbeaks33 wrote:
You have for your DH bike Prevost, Mt Washington, Forbidden etc, For your hardtail you literally have more kms of singletrack in South Island then in many small European countries. You won't lack for riding opportunities

Where exactly is "forbidden", can't find it Frown If you know more trails for a downhill bike - let me know Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013214
Mobile Version of Website