Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
mobweb wrote:
I'm planning on spending 5-7 days on the North Shore (or anywhere else that is convenient and close to YVR?) to ride single trail in early June before heading up to Whistler.

Can anybody recommend a good area or even a hostel/hotel/place to stay at? I will not be renting a car so it should ideally be close to the trail heads.

Any recommendations?

The Holiday Inn In North Vancouver is quite close to Mt. Seymour, and Mt Fromme.

Without a car our public transit system offers bike racks on the front of the bus, and many routes get you close to the trailhead. However, you could also pedal right from the hotel To Mt Seymour!

Another option would be looking at an Air BnB rental (or other similar vacation rental by owner) and finding a location on the North Shore in a similar close by location.

YVR airport is in RIchmond, and not at all close to the North Shore, So i'd definitley recomend staying on the Shore if riding everyday is your plan!

Let me know if you have more questions. Salute

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
mobweb wrote:
I'm planning on spending 5-7 days on the North Shore (or anywhere else that is convenient and close to YVR?) to ride single trail in early June before heading up to Whistler.

Can anybody recommend a good area or even a hostel/hotel/place to stay at? I will not be renting a car so it should ideally be close to the trail heads.

Any recommendations?

There is certainly enough riding in North Van to keep you busy for 5-7 days, but it would also be worthwhile trying to get up to Squamish for some of those days, if you can. The riding there is awesome, it’s halfway up to Whistler, and I bet you can find a cheaper place to stay as well.

I second the other recommendations - try to stay in North Vancouver if your plan is to mostly ride. However, you may also want to consider staying right in the city if you want to explore the city a bit. Just make sure wherever you stay has a good solution for bike storage; lots of theft here. Don’t stay near YVR. There’s nothing out there for you.

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
There is the Cambie hostel in downtown Vancouver, not sure how cheap it is though. You could get to the North Shore fairly quickly from there via the seabus. There’s also a hostel in the middle of Squamish I believe.

Not sure if they would let you bring a bike in or if you are renting. Might be sketchy to leave your stuff at a hostel and go explore if you don’t have a locking door.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Anyone think that any NS trails would be in shape at the end of this week?

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
vw4ever wrote:
Anyone think that any NS trails would be in shape at the end of this week?

No

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
Yup it's possible. Rain next 2 days with warm sunny temps afterwards. I'm riding Seymour next weekend. A bit of slush is fine.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
I dunno, looks like a bit more snow today/tonight then warm rain and temps will go above freezing overnight for first time since January. That said, there's a lot of snow/ice on the trails and it's going to be a mess when it melts. Might be good to give the shore a pass even if it's warm next weekend as it's going to beat the shit out of the trails just coming off melt/freeze cycle... although I'm sure the masses will be out if the weather is nice.

I'll probably hit SFU, has the best chance of being dry and not muddy.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
gramboh wrote:
I dunno, looks like a bit more snow today/tonight then warm rain and temps will go above freezing overnight for first time since January. That said, there's a lot of snow/ice on the trails and it's going to be a mess when it melts. Might be good to give the shore a pass even if it's warm next weekend as it's going to beat the shit out of the trails just coming off melt/freeze cycle... although I'm sure the masses will be out if the weather is nice.

Yup - no offence Thunderchunk but you're being optimistic.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
gramboh wrote:

I've been riding sfu. Still covered in snow and VERY muddy. I'm gonna hold off as riding is destroying the trails there. At least at Seymour it's mostly rock. riding in the wet will not ruin the trails.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
leelau wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Yup - no offence Thunderchunk but you're being optimistic.

I'm not saying it will be clear/dry but could be ridable. I'm an all weather rider. I will still go in snow/slush but I stick to the trails that are armoured with rocks.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 18:51 Quote
Fair enough. 10 cms new at top of Lynn Valley now fyi

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
leelau wrote:
Fair enough. 10 cms new at top of Lynn Valley now fyi

Uggggh. This snow needs to go! I have a new bike and it sucks just riding lower Burnaby or surrey.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
Any of the lower stuff on Seymour or Fromme ok this weekend?

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:55 Quote
Delta water shed is mint right now!

Never hurts to take a cardio ride tup

Just think of how much better the shore will be next weekend

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016935
Mobile Version of Website