Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
leelau wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
If anyone was able to get a key to the fromme gates and be allowed to shuttle that road as a business with the permission of the city, they'd make an absolute killing.

NO

Haha, I know. I didn't say I support such a thing. Just saying...it would do well.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
Hah, Fromme shuttles would cause an uprising. For me, I don't mind paying $22.50 for someone to shuttle me and avoid doing vehicle retrieval/driving up and down over and over again which wastes a lot of time. I only shuttle once in a while to get extra laps in (helps with the baby at home), most of the time I just pedal as I enjoy and need the exercise of climbing. I got in 4 shuttles + 1 GSM climb in just under 3 hours so 5 descents total. If we were running retrieval it would take another hour at least and a 3 hour Seymour pedal for me is an Old Buck + 2 GSM's... riding time is precious for me these days.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 14:48 Quote
More tiring for sure, but unless you're doing an epic all day shuttle (or doing odd man out), I think climbing can be just as fast as shuttling, and you can get just as many laps in. The parking lot chit chat and vehicle retrievals are time and flow killers.

Not saying I never shuttle.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
Oh yah shuttling is fine. I do that; and take helicopters and fly in planes etc so to say otherwise would be hypocritical. I just like that the character of a place where you have to put in effort to get to the top (like Fromme and other places) is totally different than a place where you can get up without much effort.

I like variety and having places where it's hard to get to the top means variety. Shuttling would change the character of the trails and make them all the same imo

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Hey has anyone else seen the posts going around on Instagram saying that the dnv is removing all teeter totters on Fromme? I'm pretty sure it's nonsense, but can anyone confirm?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
Stainer wrote:
Hey has anyone else seen the posts going around on Instagram saying that the dnv is removing all teeter totters on Fromme? I'm pretty sure it's nonsense, but can anyone confirm?

It's true.

DNV risk managers have some Ontario case weighing heavily on them. It's a kneejerk reaction but bad for TTFs like teeters. May result in even more trail sanitization but who knows on that score really

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
leelau wrote:
Stainer wrote:

It's true.

DNV risk managers have some Ontario case weighing heavily on them. It's a kneejerk reaction but bad for TTFs like teeters. May result in even more trail sanitization but who knows on that score really

Sucks. Case law precedent in Ontario? I know there was an unfortunate death a few years ago on Pipeline wasn't there? That said, it would seem to me high speed jumps are higher risk for injury (see A-Line and the Whistler study) so it's odd to take down skinnies/teeters but allow jumps and high speed stuff... but such is life in insurance world I guess. Of course I support leaving/building more wood and jumps and would hope users assume all risk and no liability on land owners.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
gramboh wrote:
leelau wrote:
Stainer wrote:

It's true.

Sucks. Case law precedent in Ontario? I know there was an unfortunate death a few years ago on Pipeline wasn't there? That said, it would seem to me high speed jumps are higher risk for injury (see A-Line and the Whistler study) so it's odd to take down skinnies/teeters but allow jumps and high speed stuff... but such is life in insurance world I guess. Of course I support leaving/building more wood and jumps and would hope users assume all risk and no liability on land owners.

Well damn that sucks

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
Planning to spend a day at Mt Fromme soon.

Will be heading there on hire bikes using public transport to the Mt Fromme parking lot at the end of Mounatin Hwy.
Any tips for riding the bus with a bike? We'll be picking bikes up from endless biking and I'm lead to believe its only a short bus ride from there.

As we don't have our own transport we will be kinda stuck there for the day. Is there any food options near the parking lot? And how about water? Is there a drinking fountain at the parking lot?

And lastly, any must do trails? I was thinking starting with bobsled and floppy bunny then doing a big climb up, but not really sure which options to pick on the way down... 7th secrect into expresso maybe??

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
There is no food at the gate/parking lot but there is a shop on the road heading up to the parking lot. Might be a bit of a bike though and uphill to the gate.

There is a water fountain just down from the gate and a bikewash station at the gate so I assume a fountain as well.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
gpmcg wrote:

And lastly, any must do trails? I was thinking starting with bobsled and floppy bunny then doing a big climb up, but not really sure which options to pick on the way down... 7th secrect into expresso maybe??

Cheers!

How good are you? What do you like to ride? Flow? Steep? Steeper? Tech? Gnar??

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
gpmcg wrote:
Planning to spend a day at Mt Fromme soon.

Will be heading there on hire bikes using public transport to the Mt Fromme parking lot at the end of Mounatin Hwy.
Any tips for riding the bus with a bike? We'll be picking bikes up from endless biking and I'm lead to believe its only a short bus ride from there.

As we don't have our own transport we will be kinda stuck there for the day. Is there any food options near the parking lot? And how about water? Is there a drinking fountain at the parking lot?

Cheers!

Depends how much climbing you wanna do and such, but based on what you were thinking of doing I would suggest riding 7th > Leppard > Crinkum Crankum > Kirkford, then can climb a bit to boblsed, and back up to expresso. Or if you want something a bit more difficult go rip Ladies!

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 20:04 Quote
tvan5 wrote:
Depends how much climbing you wanna do and such, but based on what you were thinking of doing I would suggest riding 7th > Leppard > Crinkum Crankum > Kirkford, then can climb a bit to boblsed, and back up to expresso. Or if you want something a bit more difficult go rip Ladies!

Cheers! That looks like a good option! We'll be coming off 16 days in Whistler on DH bikes, so will have to wait and see if we'll have the legs for that mych climbing lol

leelau wrote:

How good are you? What do you like to ride? Flow? Steep? Steeper? Tech? Gnar??

Pretty good(ish).. only real weakness is raised skinnies and big gap jumps... So don't want to waste all that climbing effort to go down a trail thats all big mandatory gaps and super sketchy skinny stuff...But in saying that, it'd be shame to not see some classic north shore features. So I guess, I'd be looking for a bit of everthing, but nothing double black. I can ride Australian double black... but from what i hear thats like a green trail in Canada lol lol

SeniorBrucio wrote:
There is no food at the gate/parking lot but there is a shop on the road heading up to the parking lot. Might be a bit of a bike though and uphill to the gate.

There is a water fountain just down from the gate and a bikewash station at the gate so I assume a fountain as well.

Sweet, thanks! I guess water is the main thing. Pretty easy to carry enough food I think.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
Whar tvan5 said is a good route then. Take Ladies for some challenge and off to Lower Ladies for even more challenge

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
Ladies Only is a classic, so you might wanna do that one. Lower Ladies is tougher.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013084
Mobile Version of Website