Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: May 15, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
Yep, outside of North Van and Burnaby, there's squat for fun trails in Vancouver. I was hoping there would be some sneaky DH tracks down from Marine drive to wreck beach, built by hardcore UBCers, but I don't think there is anything like that, at least nothing I can find so far. Given the lack of trails and jumps around UBC, I don't think any students mt bike, dj, or bmx, I swear.
Best bet if you're bored in corona land is stuff like jumping stair sets at UBC around campus, those big ledges by the bookstore are kinda cool. Pacific spirit is a zoo with dogwalkers, but you can practice steezy drop skills off the reservoir up by 16th. That's kinda it around here. There's dirt jumps and pump track at Vanier, but closed right now. Otherwise you gotta go to Burnaby, Richmond, Delta, which you might as well just go to North Shore or Squamish.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2020 at 19:45 Quote
pedalandshredit wrote:
Yep, outside of North Van and Burnaby, there's squat for fun trails in Vancouver. I was hoping there would be some sneaky DH tracks down from Marine drive to wreck beach, built by hardcore UBCers, but I don't think there is anything like that, at least nothing I can find so far. Given the lack of trails and jumps around UBC, I don't think any students mt bike, dj, or bmx, I swear.
Best bet if you're bored in corona land is stuff like jumping stair sets at UBC around campus, those big ledges by the bookstore are kinda cool. Pacific spirit is a zoo with dogwalkers, but you can practice steezy drop skills off the reservoir up by 16th. That's kinda it around here. There's dirt jumps and pump track at Vanier, but closed right now. Otherwise you gotta go to Burnaby, Richmond, Delta, which you might as well just go to North Shore or Squamish.
there's a club, h7t I just don't think the land is around. Where are you supposed to build trails, they'd be taken down immediately in the Pacific park.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 0:41 Quote
pedalandshredit wrote:

Damn thats a bummer. I also thought there might be some hidden gems around there. I guess stair sets will be my post class go to. Anyway, for weekend rides definitely seems worth it to grind my way to Cypress or Seymour.

Is there any bus to squamish that allows bikes? And who knows my try to hunt down some fellow UBC riders and try to do some convincing to build a trail.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 0:42 Quote
iridedj wrote:
pedalandshredit wrote:
there's a club, h7t I just don't think the land is around. Where are you supposed to build trails, they'd be taken down immediately in the Pacific park.

h7t is a UBC mountain bike club? If so do they have an IG page, website or somewhere to join?

O+
Posted: May 16, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
iridedj wrote:
pedalandshredit wrote:

I know, I was kinda joking, ribbing on the UBC stereotype that the're just into Lamborghinis, pokemon, and maybe road cycling... Agreed that building unsactioned trails in Pacific Spirit would be hard to do undetected, it is heavily managed and quite busy. It is a beautiful forest area though, and a nice place to go get some fresh air.
But a steep DH track from Marine drive to wreck beach would be rad AF... maybe it exists, but is a well-kept secret? Alternatively, it would be great if we could just build a skills park like the one in Burnaby. I think the demand definitely exists from UBC and the neighborhood, given that there is literally nothing else around.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:
iridedj wrote:
pedalandshredit wrote:

h7t is a UBC mountain bike club? If so do they have an IG page, website or somewhere to join?
haha bad spelling. There is an outdoors type club with mountain bikers and skiers, I can't remember the name. Hard time to try to meet people as well.

Posted: May 16, 2020 at 23:41 Quote
iridedj wrote:
DylanRodriguez28 wrote:
iridedj wrote:

haha bad spelling. There is an outdoors type club with mountain bikers and skiers, I can't remember the name. Hard time to try to meet people as well.

Ah ok. Sounds cool though I'll definitely try and check it out!

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
Hello there,

I've been riding the North Shore for about 2-3 seasons now. I'm an intermediate rider looking to challenge myself with new trails. I find it difficult to assess which trails would be ideal for me next without trying them all.
As I think that Trailfork, even though it's awesome, has it's limitations, my attempt here would be to ask you what you think a good Mt Fromme trail progression be (I also think it could be useful for newcomers).

For me, based on what I know, and from easy to hard:

Roadside attraction
Pennzoil
Bobsled
Griffen
Lower Expresso
Leppard
Kirkford
Expresso / Crinkum Crankum / Floppy Bunny / Natural High
Seven's secret
Executioner
Pipeline

What do you think? Did I get it right?

Trails I didn't ride yet (where would they fit in terms of difficulty?):

Upper/lower Oilcan
Bookwus
Pile of rocks
Grannies
Upper/lower Crippler
Digger
Ladies Only
The Skull
Boundary

What do you think I should try next?
Did I miss something as easy as Expresso or Seven's Secret?

Many thanks!

Ben

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
Pile of rocks
Lower digger
Lower oil can
Lower crippler
Grannies/upper crippler
Ladies only
Upper oil can/bookwus
Skull
Upper digger
Boundary

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 19:38 Quote
Awesome, thanks Sushifor2!

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
I would sleep on Upper Oil Can for a bit, unless you really want to ride skinnies and technical woodwork.

Lower Oil Can is awesome though, and at worst as some chunder that you can approach at whatever speed you feel comfortable with.

Lower Digger is kind of like a slightly more advanced Lower Expresso, super fun.

Lower Crippler is fun, but quite technical.

Ladies Only has a bit of everything, but is probably more fun than most of the other trails listed that I haven't already mentioned.

All the others am not in the habit of riding. What about Seymour, do you ever ride there?

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
xTwoSnakesx wrote:
I would sleep on Upper Oil Can for a bit, unless you really want to ride skinnies and technical woodwork.

Lower Oil Can is awesome though, and at worst as some chunder that you can approach at whatever speed you feel comfortable with.

Lower Digger is kind of like a slightly more advanced Lower Expresso, super fun.

Ladies Only has a bit of everything, but is probably more fun than most of the other trails listed that I haven't already mentioned."

All the others am not in the habit of riding. What about Seymour, do you ever ride there?
Thanks, very helpful tips!!

I go to Seymour sometimes but not as often. So far I mostly tried John Deer and Forever After, both really fun I thought. Any other recommendations in Mt Seymour?

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
Benji9612 wrote:
xTwoSnakesx wrote:

Ladies Only has a bit of everything, but is probably more fun than most of the other trails listed that I haven't already mentioned."

Thanks, very helpful tips!!

I go to Seymour sometimes but not as often. So far I mostly tried John Deer and Forever After, both really fun I thought. Any other recommendations in Mt Seymour?

Corkscew to pingu then pangor is a fun lap. Lots of tech and optional wood. Boogie nights is amazing for flow and jumps.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
Anyone know if the Fromme Lot has been opened up again?

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
neiller wrote:
Anyone know if the Fromme Lot has been opened up again?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014291
Mobile Version of Website