Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
Thanks all.

I will keep the to the main road for now on the climb.
I am looking for blue and blacks on the way down for my first day (I am experienced in downhill/dirt jumping, just new to the shore).

Trailforks has been extremely helpful in determining what I will choose to ride going down.

Thanks again - very much appreciated.

If there are any other tips that I should be aware of please feel free to share, other wise I may see ya out there this weekend. I will be on a 2014 Kona Process (Black and Blue)

Cheers,
Adam

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
Oh you will be fine if you have ridden DH/dirt jumping. Shore is different but the blues/blacks will be fine for you. Be aware that the parking lot on Fromme gets very busy on weekends with lines of cars waiting to park, which to me feels stupid to sit in an idling car for 10-15 minutes waiting for a spot. I would park farther down on Coleman Dr for example (mind the parking restrictions, you cannot park higher up than Coleman) and just pedal up Mtn Highway from there.

You could do a lap of Bobsled then Floppy Bunny, then head back up the road and do Expresso. From there you can take the Baden Powell back to Mtn Highway (shore style XC riding) or just take Lower Expresso to either Pennzoil or Lower Digger, then take the city streets back over Dempsey down the hill to Mtn Highway, short climb back to your car at Coleman.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
Thanks!

What time does the parking lot fill up at?

gramboh wrote:
Oh you will be fine if you have ridden DH/dirt jumping. Shore is different but the blues/blacks will be fine for you. Be aware that the parking lot on Fromme gets very busy on weekends with lines of cars waiting to park, which to me feels stupid to sit in an idling car for 10-15 minutes waiting for a spot. I would park farther down on Coleman Dr for example (mind the parking restrictions, you cannot park higher up than Coleman) and just pedal up Mtn Highway from there.

You could do a lap of Bobsled then Floppy Bunny, then head back up the road and do Expresso. From there you can take the Baden Powell back to Mtn Highway (shore style XC riding) or just take Lower Expresso to either Pennzoil or Lower Digger, then take the city streets back over Dempsey down the hill to Mtn Highway, short climb back to your car at Coleman.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
I haven't lived in Vancouver for a few years but weekends it was full shortly after the gates open. Don't even try to drive up in there on a weekend. Cars line up and it's hard to turn around and leave. Takes forever. I also think there is a 3 hour time limit? Not sure how well that's enforced. Just park on Coleman like somebody else suggested. It's a short pedal up the hill and then you can finish on Upper/lower Griffen and get some bonus downhill back towards where you parked.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
Thanks!

gbeaks33 wrote:
I haven't lived in Vancouver for a few years but weekends it was full shortly after the gates open. Don't even try to drive up in there on a weekend. Cars line up and it's hard to turn around and leave. Takes forever. I also think there is a 3 hour time limit? Not sure how well that's enforced. Just park on Coleman like somebody else suggested. It's a short pedal up the hill and then you can finish on Upper/lower Griffen and get some bonus downhill back towards where you parked.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
adam-finlayson-1990 wrote:
Hey All,

I am taking my first ride on the Shore (Fromme) this weekend and have a beginner's question.
I have been looking at Trailforks which does a great job of outlining the trails I want to ride but I am curious about how I get back up the mountain. Are the routes to get back up fairly obvious? I have an enduro bike so I am ready to ride up but am curious about how I will find the way back up as I do not want to ride/hike up a downhill trail.

Thanks,
Adam

If it’s your first time and you’re a beginner (sorry not clear if you’re new to MTB or to the shore) I wouldn’t necessarily do Expresso. The trail is not that difficult for a Black but heading back to the parking lot via Baden Powell is a slog and zero fun. Try Leppard/Crinkum/Kirkford/Griffens and work your way down from that side- plenty of harder parts you can ride around, and some nice flowy bits too.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
oneinoneout wrote:
Hey All,

I am taking my first ride on the Shore (Fromme) this weekend and have a beginner's question.
I have been looking at Trailforks which does a great job of outlining the trails I want to ride but I am curious about how I get back up the mountain. Are the routes to get back up fairly obvious? I have an enduro bike so I am ready to ride up but am curious about how I will find the way back up as I do not want to ride/hike up a downhill trail.

Thanks,
Adam

If it’s your first time and you’re a beginner (sorry not clear if you’re new to MTB or to the shore) I wouldn’t necessarily do Expresso. The trail is not that difficult for a Black but heading back to the parking lot via Baden Powell is a slog and zero fun. Try Leppard/Crinkum/Kirkford/Griffens and work your way down from that side- plenty of harder parts you can ride around, and some nice flowy bits too.

I really enjoy Baden Powell heading back to the parking lot.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
oneinoneout wrote:
Hey All,

Thanks,
Adam

I really enjoy Baden Powell heading back to the parking lot.

I’d say BP is a lot harder and more technical than Expresso. Steep rocky stair section after steep rocky stair section. Not my bag at all but different strokes and all that :-)

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 22:38 Quote
I've ridden Baden Powell hundreds of times and it is still the worst trail I've ever ridden. It's a hiking trail...that nobody hikes because it's also a shitty hiking trail. Which makes it an extra shitty biking trail. It's forever on the bottom of my list of enjoyable biking experiences. Ride something else if it will be your first or only fromme experience.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I've ridden Baden Powell hundreds of times and it is still the worst trail I've ever ridden. It's a hiking trail...that nobody hikes because it's also a shitty hiking trail. Which makes it an extra shitty biking trail. It's forever on the bottom of my list of enjoyable biking experiences. Ride something else if it will be your first or only fromme experience.
What a nonsense! The trail is nice and the trail builder did an amazing job lately.
Its a nice combo of uphill and downhill.
And there are plenty of hikers and trail runners who are using it.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:46 Quote
Bikewastl wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
What a nonsense! The trail is nice and the trail builder did an amazing job lately.

It's been a few years since I've ridden it. Moved away from van but last time I was in town it still sucked. To each their own, but I'm standing by my recommendation to not ride it haha. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Bikewastl wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

I agree that it used to be pretty janky and rough. It's a super fun technical up and down trail now.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 2:13 Quote
Honestly I love the BP from Expresso back to Mtn Highway as well. The one punchy climb before Stairs of Despair I cannot get, but the ride from Stairs to the road is awesome jank fun, you can ride it decently quick once you know your lines (obviously be aware for hikers/runners).

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Honestly I love the BP from Expresso back to Mtn Highway as well. The one punchy climb before Stairs of Despair I cannot get, but the ride from Stairs to the road is awesome jank fun, you can ride it decently quick once you know your lines (obviously be aware for hikers/runners).

I love that section, super tough climb right into some jank. There's a couple climbing lines, but it definitely is tough! It's basically a sprint climb to clean it

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
Instead of taking BP back, I usually just take lower expresso to the road and pedal up the road a bit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006044
Mobile Version of Website