Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Do you guys have year round biking down there? I have to go to Vancouver for medical reasons next week and it’ll have me sitting there doing nothing for 3 days.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
Yes

Typically 2/3 of Mount Seymour and Fromme are without snow. Cypress varries.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Do you guys have year round biking down there? I have to go to Vancouver for medical reasons next week and it’ll have me sitting there doing nothing for 3 days.

Not in North shore but I went to Eagle mountain last week and most of the trails are good not too wet. Also went down for essential travel.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
You'll have no problem finding something to ride, although it will be super muddy, and many trails are not in very good shape right now with all the rain we've had. There may or may not be snow higher up, depending on freezing levels.
Poachninja wrote:

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
goytay wrote:
gramboh wrote:
Taz123 wrote:
A buddy of mine worked at Cypress in Maintenance a few years back - apparently they sold off the chairs that are designed to carry bikes about 3 years ago. So the idea of a re-start will require a decent capital expenditure...making it that much more unlikely.

That's too bad. Of course they will never match Whistler, but with how bad Sea to Sky traffic has gotten in the summer, if Cypress could build even 5 decent trails (say 1 blue flow, 1 black flow, 1 blue tech, 1 black tech, 1 double black tech.. maybe sub the double black tech for a legit fun green trail) I think they could do alright, especially if they were open evenings in summer. I'd buy a $500-600 pass for that if the trails were decent.

I agree, local hills are missing out!! Squamish has plans for a 4 season resort in the next 5 or so years so...

Squamish used to be a small town a resort will change that big time.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
drdetail wrote:
You'll have no problem finding something to ride, although it will be super muddy, and many trails are not in very good shape right now with all the rain we've had. There may or may not be snow higher up, depending on freezing levels.
Poachninja wrote:

I rode fromme yesterday. It was a bit wet but still fantastic conditions.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
Does anyone have any advice about riding Cypress, like where to park, good loops, and what not. I usually ride Fromme and Seymour, but am feeling a little adventurous.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
Rooivalk16 wrote:
Does anyone have any advice about riding Cypress, like where to park, good loops, and what not. I usually ride Fromme and Seymour, but am feeling a little adventurous.
Haven’t been up in a while but cypress generally gets more snow than fromme and Seymour, might not be much rideable right now. Plus the trails are mostly unsanctioned and don’t have very good armour or drainage for riding in the wet. I would wait until spring, but maybe someone who has been there more recently can chime in.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
Fifth Horseman is pretty good in the wet.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
I encourage everyone to provide input on the NSMBA's Strategic Plan. Looks like this will be thru Jan & Feb? https://nsmba.ca/strategic-plan-development/

The strategic plan itself seems well thought out, and likely to drive growth and sustainability in the NSMBA. My concern is more about the NSMBA's long-term priorities, and specifically what new trails are brought into life, and what trails are taken away from us.

Does anyone else have concerns about the gradual loss of the old-school character trails on Fromme? Since the heights of old-school we've lost: Pink Starfish, Upper & Lower Bitches Brew, Executioner, old-school Lower Digger, and old-school Expresso. We see flagging around Upper Digger and it's hard not to assume that's next, as there is a need for something easier to connect from the BP to new-school Lower Digger.

With the rotation of volunteer board members (I know, each making the best decisions they could at the time), my concern is that resources will continue to be directed essentially entirely into green and blue trails. This will only increase the divide between the legitimate and rogue networks. It just seems self-defeating to not be investing in challenging trails and keeping the ones we already have. What happens when all the new people who are brought into the sport by the vastly improved green/blue network want to seek out more challenging experiences?

If you agree, please tell the NSMBA that you think they should commit to keep ALL existing old school trails on Fromme and Seymour, including Upper Digger. No more trail loss.

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
grumpybuilder wrote:
I encourage everyone to provide input on the NSMBA's Strategic Plan. Looks like this will be thru Jan & Feb? https://nsmba.ca/strategic-plan-development/

The strategic plan itself seems well thought out, and likely to drive growth and sustainability in the NSMBA. My concern is more about the NSMBA's long-term priorities, and specifically what new trails are brought into life, and what trails are taken away from us.

Does anyone else have concerns about the gradual loss of the old-school character trails on Fromme? Since the heights of old-school we've lost: Pink Starfish, Upper & Lower Bitches Brew, Executioner, old-school Lower Digger, and old-school Expresso. We see flagging around Upper Digger and it's hard not to assume that's next, as there is a need for something easier to connect from the BP to new-school Lower Digger.

With the rotation of volunteer board members (I know, each making the best decisions they could at the time), my concern is that resources will continue to be directed essentially entirely into green and blue trails. This will only increase the divide between the legitimate and rogue networks. It just seems self-defeating to not be investing in challenging trails and keeping the ones we already have. What happens when all the new people who are brought into the sport by the vastly improved green/blue network want to seek out more challenging experiences?

If you agree, please tell the NSMBA that you think they should commit to keep ALL existing old school trails on Fromme and Seymour, including Upper Digger. No more trail loss.

Thanks.

Expressing those thoughts to NSMBA is worthwhile, but what is likely more worthwhile is an email to DNV Council since DNV ultimately decides what gets done.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
DNV staff do not want new trails as it was very clear in the presentation (DNV council) back in December and if anything new that gets built, it will be very neutered. SORCA and WORCA are light years ahead on trail progression.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
My god, I don’t know if I was lucky on the dates but you guys have some amazing biking for January. Did an afternoon at Seymour, another at fromme and a finale at eagle mountain and got to hit a good selection of the layman’s gnar (single black limit) and even then got thrown otb on pipeline. I will be back!

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
My god, I don’t know if I was lucky on the dates but you guys have some amazing biking for January. Did an afternoon at Seymour, another at fromme and a finale at eagle mountain and got to hit a good selection of the layman’s gnar (single black limit) and even then got thrown otb on pipeline. I will be back!

Same time last year would have been a different story!

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 22:51 Quote
I was hoping someone here could help by find a full day ride (at least 15km) that's more XC (a challenge but nothing crazy technical) in the lower mainland.

Most preferably back country and not an urban trail.

I'd even be open to taking a tent and/or staying in a hut and realize that it's still Feb.

Mountain Highway and Fishermen's Trail look like a couple options?

Would love some tips!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012994
Mobile Version of Website