Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
I think the best way to go is to check out Trailforks for the most popular trails on Fromme and Seymour and start there. People around here have overdosed on trails like Expresso and John Deer, but I’d say those trails are must-rides if you’re from out of town. Just riding the main descents on each of those two mountains will keep you busy for a few days. More old school must-rides are Ladies Only and Boogieman, which are shore classics but see active maintenance.

If you check out Cypress, start with some of the east side DH trails like Mystery, Jersey Shore, Meat Sweats, or on the west side, start with Slippery Canoe-Pull Tab-Upper Tall Cans-Wutang. Cypress does not see any official maintenance and lacks anything resembling features of a manicured trail network like trail signs and ride-arounds on some hard features. If you go there, ride with caution.

There’s a lot of really hard stuff out there that may or may not be a lot of walking depending what you’re used to and what you’re comfortable committing to, even as a very good rider. 5th Horsemen is one example of a trail where you might walk most of it. It wouldn’t exactly be my first recommendation to an out of towner.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
I appreciate all the tips! Really looking forward to this trip.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 0:18 Quote
Good recommendations so far... For me in order of must ride to good:

Seymour: Boogieman, John Deer, Dales, Pangor, Severed
Fromme: Ladies Only, 7th Secret, Expresso, Upper/Lower Oilcan. If you want true old school NS jank: Bookus to Grannies or Upper Crippler
Cypress: 5th Horseman (gnarly), east side DH tracks Jersey Shore, Mystery DH, Meat Sweats (you'll want a 160mm+ enduro bike for those, if you have short travel trail bike skip them as they are fast and rough).

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Good recommendations so far... For me in order of must ride to good:

Seymour: Boogieman, John Deer, Dales, Pangor, Severed
Fromme: Ladies Only, 7th Secret, Expresso, Upper/Lower Oilcan. If you want true old school NS jank: Bookus to Grannies or Upper Crippler
Cypress: 5th Horseman (gnarly), east side DH tracks Jersey Shore, Mystery DH, Meat Sweats (you'll want a 160mm+ enduro bike for those, if you have short travel trail bike skip them as they are fast and rough).

To add to your cypress list, tall cans, wutang and roach clips/hits are my favourite on that side. Love the new work on wutang. Fun smaller gap jumps and a nice rock drop. For east side finding a local to guide you is best for the trails not on trail forks (not secret, just not listed on any map)

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 19:25 Quote
Unsure if this is the right spot to ask, but does anyone know the story behind the J.B. memorial (2nd switchback) and the watertower stickers? Heard a few legends but couldn't find anything on the internet.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 17:16 Quote
5th Horseman is a horror show Big Grin

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
Any more detail on whatcha talkin’ ‘bout?

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
DMal wrote:
I think the best way to go is to check out Trailforks for the most popular trails on Fromme and Seymour and start there. People around here have overdosed on trails like Expresso and John Deer, but I’d say those trails are must-rides if you’re from out of town. Just riding the main descents on each of those two mountains will keep you busy for a few days. More old school must-rides are Ladies Only and Boogieman, which are shore classics but see active maintenance.

If you check out Cypress, start with some of the east side DH trails like Mystery, Jersey Shore, Meat Sweats, or on the west side, start with Slippery Canoe-Pull Tab-Upper Tall Cans-Wutang. Cypress does not see any official maintenance and lacks anything resembling features of a manicured trail network like trail signs and ride-arounds on some hard features. If you go there, ride with caution.

There’s a lot of really hard stuff out there that may or may not be a lot of walking depending what you’re used to and what you’re comfortable committing to, even as a very good rider. 5th Horsemen is one example of a trail where you might walk most of it. It wouldn’t exactly be my first recommendation to an out of towner.

Looks like the weather is going to give me a one day window tomorrow after the rain lets up. Maybe Saturday morning as well as Friday afternoon. Anything hold up better than others? More fun in the wet? Most likely going to stick to Seymour since I am right here.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
[Quote="Daniel39"]
DMal wrote:
Looks like the weather is going to give me a one day window tomorrow after the rain lets up. Maybe Saturday morning as well as Friday afternoon. Anything hold up better than others? More fun in the wet? Most likely going to stick to Seymour since I am right here.

Pretty much all of the Seymour trails that are on Trailforks get ridden year-round and will be okay in the wet. Have you done any rides so far?

Some good ones to check out:
- Corkscrew/Pingu
- John Deer (one of the more flowy options)
- Pangor (a bit more old school) to Boogie Nights (flow/jump trail)
- Asian Adonis
- Severed

The other trails not mentioned are good too, but some of them are hard and others are… unique (e.g. Ned’s, which is basically a creek bed but fun).

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
[Quote="DMal"]
Daniel39 wrote:
DMal wrote:

Pretty much all of the Seymour trails that are on Trailforks get ridden year-round and will be okay in the wet. Have you done any rides so far?

Some good ones to check out:
- Corkscrew/Pingu
- John Deer (one of the more flowy options)
- Pangor (a bit more old school) to Boogie Nights (flow/jump trail)
- Asian Adonis
- Severed

The other trails not mentioned are good too, but some of them are hard and others are… unique (e.g. Ned’s, which is basically a creek bed but fun).

Took the wife shopping yesterday and watching the rain this morning, will try to get out this afternoon.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 15:44 Quote
Rode a couple laps on Seymour yesterday and went over to Fromme today for a full pull from 7th Secret down Expresso ( ran into Digger himself! ) and then out of respect down lower Digger. So stoked to run into the man himself. Humble chill dude.

Posted: Oct 2, 2021 at 6:26 Quote
Praise be to Digger!

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
Daniel39 wrote:
Rode a couple laps on Seymour yesterday and went over to Fromme today for a full pull from 7th Secret down Expresso ( ran into Digger himself! ) and then out of respect down lower Digger. So stoked to run into the man himself. Humble chill dude.

Digger always has a smile on his face and is welcome to chat with riders going by. He truly loves what he does and The Shore is so fortunate to have builders like him!

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
awhite76 wrote:
Daniel39 wrote:

Digger always has a smile on his face and is welcome to chat with riders going by. He truly loves what he does and The Shore is so fortunate to have builders like him!

Went back out there yesterday with a $100 in my pocket for him and sure enough there he was at the top of Floppy Bunny.

Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
Daniel39 wrote:
awhite76 wrote:
Daniel39 wrote:

Went back out there yesterday with a $100 in my pocket for him and sure enough there he was at the top of Floppy Bunny.

you are a class act!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013264
Mobile Version of Website