Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 7:14 Quote
The wife and I are coming back to Deep Cove for a week and the end of this month so I am looking for more advice. She will be working so I have all day to explore. Thinking about heading up to Squamish for a ride. Worth it? Different enough from the Shore to justify the drive? Must ride trails?

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
Daniel39 wrote:
The wife and I are coming back to Deep Cove for a week and the end of this month so I am looking for more advice. She will be working so I have all day to explore. Thinking about heading up to Squamish for a ride. Worth it? Different enough from the Shore to justify the drive? Must ride trails?

Squamish is totally different from the shore. If I'm bringing someone new to Squamish I want them to ride some slabs so I usually go with the following route:

- park at Alice Lake then ride up 50 shades of Green and 50 more shades, down Rupert then back up tracks from Hell and 50 more shades. Pedal over to Entrail, Boney Elbows, then Highway to Hell / Hueso. If you still have energy I would do another lap and hit Pomplemouse before heading back to the parking lot.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Daniel39 wrote:

Squamish is totally different from the shore. If I'm bringing someone new to Squamish I want them to ride some slabs so I usually go with the following route:

- park at Alice Lake then ride up 50 shades of Green and 50 more shades, down Rupert then back up tracks from Hell and 50 more shades. Pedal over to Entrail, Boney Elbows, then Highway to Hell / Hueso. If you still have energy I would do another lap and hit Pomplemouse before heading back to the parking lot.

You also have two good jump trails in Miki's Magic and Slippery Salmon in the general vicinity. Agreed that slabs get top billing.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 0:39 Quote
Hey. Looking for some advice please.
I'm at a conference on Vancouver Island soon and I've got Saturday 14th May to myself so as a life long mtber I obviously want to take a ride on the North Shore.
I'm staying in Lonsdale so will probably hire a bike from Endless Biking (unless anyone has any better suggestions).
I won't have a car so intend to ride from the store. I ride everything from xc to dh, but really don't like skinnies, so would want to avoid those. Also as I'm in BC on a work thing it would be really frowned upon if I completely spannered myself on a crash, so should probably keep it fun/flowy rather than too high risk features.
What do people suggest? Is it worth going for a guide? It is crazy expensive, and the kids might have to go without food for a week or two, but would it be worth the cost of a guide to get the best from my limited time available?
I'm fit enough to ride all day so had considered a half day guide, then repeat some or all of the route again in the afternoon.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Damian.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
yetidamo wrote:
Hey. Looking for some advice please.
I'm at a conference on Vancouver Island soon and I've got Saturday 14th May to myself so as a life long mtber I obviously want to take a ride on the North Shore.
I'm staying in Lonsdale so will probably hire a bike from Endless Biking (unless anyone has any better suggestions).
I won't have a car so intend to ride from the store. I ride everything from xc to dh, but really don't like skinnies, so would want to avoid those. Also as I'm in BC on a work thing it would be really frowned upon if I completely spannered myself on a crash, so should probably keep it fun/flowy rather than too high risk features.
What do people suggest? Is it worth going for a guide? It is crazy expensive, and the kids might have to go without food for a week or two, but would it be worth the cost of a guide to get the best from my limited time available?
I'm fit enough to ride all day so had considered a half day guide, then repeat some or all of the route again in the afternoon.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, Damian.

Endless is a somewhat short road ride from Seymour.
To keep it ‘PG’ aim for trails like John Deer, Corkscrew, Pingu, Pangor.
If it’s reopen and you’re a jumper, hit Boogie Nights for sure. Lower Boogie Man if you’re confident on steep tech.
Take the Good Sir Martin climb

Maybe join Vancouver trail shredders on Facebook and see if anyone is around with a rack and can show you the ropes over on Fromme or Cypress (for shuttling)
You could bus to Fromme but keep a super close eye on the bike on the front rack.
If you do, take the No Quarter climb, rather than the fire road.
Cypress can be pedalled but apparently it’s not fun or lappable by any means.

And lastly, work can’t tell you what to do on your own time, so shred hard haha

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 15:32 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
Endless is a somewhat short road ride from Seymour.
To keep it ‘PG’ aim for trails like John Deer, Corkscrew, Pingu, Pangor.
If it’s reopen and you’re a jumper, hit Boogie Nights for sure. Lower Boogie Man if you’re confident on steep tech.
Take the Good Sir Martin climb

Maybe join Vancouver trail shredders on Facebook and see if anyone is around with a rack and can show you the ropes over on Fromme or Cypress (for shuttling)
You could bus to Fromme but keep a super close eye on the bike on the front rack.
If you do, take the No Quarter climb, rather than the fire road.
Cypress can be pedalled but apparently it’s not fun or lappable by any means.

And lastly, work can’t tell you what to do on your own time, so shred hard haha

Thanks for the great advice. I'll probably just ride out from the store and try to hook up a loop that takes in the trails you suggest.

Ha yeah I should probably tell work to do one. But it's still best to avoid injury when so far from home and riding solo, so let's hope I don't have to have that conversation with them Smile

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
If you've got the fitness and ambition, hit Seymour via Hyannis for John Deer and back up to Ned's then Bottletop, then up the valley and across to Fromme where you could lap Bobsled a few times and then up to Espresso and Lower Espresso and then a long paved descent back to Endless. Guessing that would be close to 55 km and 1500 m of elevation.

Big gaps on the new Boogie Nights so def look before you leap.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 22:07 Quote
> I won't have a car so intend to ride from the store

I moved to Vancouver from the UK last year and you can sign up for the local Evo car rental scheme with a UK driving licence. The cars have roof bike racks, my first ride on the shore was renting a bike from Endless, putting it on the Evo and driving to Fromme.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
The DNV has a survey up to help develop a strategy for planning and management of natural area recreational trails.

https://dnv.civilspace.io/en/projects/public-engagement-surveys/engagements/trails-strategy/sections/1

This is on the heels of the builder on Pipeline on Fromme being forced to stop all work as they don't have liability insurance to the tune of $5 million to protect against potential injury litigation. So, when completing the survey - please put in a good word for independent builders (edit - especially those on Pipeline)!

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 20:11 Quote
Thank you for sharing that. Just filled out the survey.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
djyosh wrote:
The DNV has a survey up to help develop a strategy for planning and management of natural area recreational trails.

https://dnv.civilspace.io/en/projects/public-engagement-surveys/engagements/trails-strategy/sections/1

This is on the heels of the builder on Pipeline on Fromme being forced to stop all work as they don't have liability insurance to the tune of $5 million to protect against potential injury litigation. So, when completing the survey - please put in a good word for independent builders!

Had read over on NSMB that the DNV reaction also mentioned that unauthorized building on Seymour is causing them to change tack against authorized builders/NSMBA? Seems like a knee jerk reaction, not surprising. Everyone should complete the survey.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
gramboh wrote:

Had read over on NSMB that the DNV reaction also mentioned that unauthorized building on Seymour is causing them to change tack against authorized builders/NSMBA? Seems like a knee jerk reaction, not surprising. Everyone should complete the survey.

that is really crappy. people don't always realize the backlash from this stuff. I'm not from the area, but we are facing similar issues here in Edmonton and are at risk of losing about 90% of our trails.

i filled out the survey and put in a good word and tossed NSMBA a donation. I absolutely love riding out there and would hate for the trails to go away.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
In brighter news (tongue in cheek with the current weather) it looks like CBC is now reopened after the Dream Wizards worked their magic.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdeMrhcjOR9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 16:48 Quote
Rode it yesterday. They did a great job, but a lot of fresh dirt needs to bed in, which seems like it could take a long long while.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
Saw some videos/pics and it looks absolutely trashed due to being way too wet with the new dirt work, looks like rock armouring coming loose in places. Sucks for Dream Wizards (although I guess this was a contract job), dumbass Metro opening it way too soon, should've waited a couple weeks for some warm weather to set it up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006701
Mobile Version of Website