Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
Author Message
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Saw some videos/pics and it looks absolutely trashed due to being way too wet with the new dirt work, looks like rock armouring coming loose in places. Sucks for Dream Wizards (although I guess this was a contract job), dumbass Metro opening it way too soon, should've waited a couple weeks for some warm weather to set it up.

Most videos were from Friday. It was waaay worse on Saturday... Sad

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
Some heads up by the top of Corkscrew were saying that about 50 feet or so on CBC was really bad, bad enough they walked around, the rest was $. I took advantage of the good weather and finally ( a goal for me since the last trip ) connected Seymour to Fromme and back. So shelled now. Ate all the fish and chips at Deepwater and making a dent in a 6'r of Honey Brown. Really digging into the Canadian experience with non stop playoff hockey and an endless bowl of All Dressed chips!

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 8:19 Quote
Daniel39 wrote:
Some heads up by the top of Corkscrew were saying that about 50 feet or so on CBC was really bad, bad enough they walked around, the rest was $. I took advantage of the good weather and finally ( a goal for me since the last trip ) connected Seymour to Fromme and back. So shelled now. Ate all the fish and chips at Deepwater and making a dent in a 6'r of Honey Brown. Really digging into the Canadian experience with non stop playoff hockey and an endless bowl of All Dressed chips!

Good weather for you. Enjoy

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
Rode CBC last night after the nice weather recently. Daniel39 is right, it's really just a few sections that are near a spring which are very muddy and beaten up. Most of the trail has dried out unfortunately with some ruts and damage to rock work. It's definitely heads up hockey though, the mud (clay type?) dragged onto the rocks is super slippery.

Awesome work by Dream Wizards, kept the feel of the trail while having to work under constraints of land manager (I'm guessing). The rock work by Ken Melamed is very impressive. Not sure why Metro required heli dropping in a full metal bridge for the alt line crossing by the millennium log, seems excessive but I guess they have the budget.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:31 Quote
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

The bridge cost and transport alone was more than the trailwork. But safety regulations....

It was the only way to save that millennium log

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 10:47 Quote
leelau wrote:
jaydawg69 wrote:
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

The bridge cost and transport alone was more than the trailwork. But safety regulations....

It was the only way to save that millennium log

Had heard that re: millennium log, so props to Metro for ponying up the cash to make it happen! Looks like a nice stretch of weather coming after the rain tonight, hope things dry out and firm up more.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

Does this not apply to Boogieman then? Or is that log just wide enough to render it less risky?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 16:16 Quote
djyosh wrote:
jaydawg69 wrote:
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

Does this not apply to Boogieman then? Or is that log just wide enough to render it less risky?

It doesn't apply to Boogieman because Boogieman is a double black and CBC is a black. I'm guessing the millennium log was determined to be a double black feature.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 17:20 Quote
djbuilder wrote:
djyosh wrote:
jaydawg69 wrote:
if there is a big enough span, there has to be metal bridge (Metro policies) so that's why it was put in. I heard the price for the project was 280k.

Does this not apply to Boogieman then? Or is that log just wide enough to render it less risky?

It doesn't apply to Boogieman because Boogieman is a double black and CBC is a black. I'm guessing the millennium log was determined to be a double black feature.

It's confusing. Boogieman is in the jurisdiction of the CMHC which was/is laissez-faire. CBC is in the jurisdiction of Metro which is a bit more risk-management constrained. So it's just a different land-manager approach and not related to trail rating

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
Good info - thanks. It led me to this photo which is also attributed to you, Lee:

Trailforks overlay of the CMHC lands - trails in orange

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 16:04 Quote
djyosh wrote:
Good info - thanks. It led me to this photo which is also attributed to you, Lee:

Trailforks overlay of the CMHC lands - trails in orange

Yah. It's confusing af in there. That's why so many of us who built and maintained trails in Seymour never bothered getting permission. I built rogue, the NSMBA built rogue, lots of others did too. Boogieman, Adonis, C-Buster, Scrotum, , JD - all the trails I've worked on and/or maintained- all rogue.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 23:11 Quote
I think the new riparian area regulation applies, which is really strict for new bridges. And I believe old bridges over water are fine, but when it comes time to replace they have to be built to a much higher standard. I'm curious so I'll ask a biologist I work with who is an expert.

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
what are those electric unicycles (i don't even know how to call that) on the trails now (specially Fromme)? I don't mind sharing the space with other modals, but they were just standing in the middle of trails, and not caring about other riders.

I've spoke with a couple of other guys on saturday that were also complaining a bit about them.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 10:25 Quote
does anyone have any info on when the washout on Fishermans is going to get repaired or even started?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008110
Mobile Version of Website