Whats the difference between triple/double/and single crown forks?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Whats the difference between triple/double/and single crown forks?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
Okay I know this is a stupid question but what is the difference between the three?

Thanks Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
theres no such thing as a triple crown, just a triple clamp. and the other two are kind of self explanatory.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 12:16 Quote
willbike4food wrote:
theres no such thing as a triple crown, just a triple clamp. and the other two are kind of self explanatory.

haha okay thanks

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
iamtheman3 wrote:
willbike4food wrote:

haha okay thanks

Yeah triple clamps are the same as double crowns, the proper name being double crown.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
is this a serious forum?

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:14 Quote
1) there is no such thing as a triple crown fork. the only way you might be able to count three is because there is three tubes connected to the bike (the two stantions and the steerer tube).

2) a double crown fork is mounted on the bottom of the head tube, and the top. this makes it have less flex, but it makes a fork weigh more and you can't turn the fork as much (the stantions will hit the frame). the lowest travel you will see a double crown is about 170mm. you might see some old old XC bikes with 100mm dual crown, but that's because there old. the two connection spots are the bottom clamp and top clamp, but you might here a few people call the bottom clamp a "triple tree" because it has three connections on it (the two stantions and the steerer tube).

3) a single crown only is attached once, the two stantions come to a crown, which has the steerer tube connected to it. single crown forks tend to be lighter, more maneuverable, but the more travel there is the more flexy they will be. its like holding a Popsicle stick with two fingers in the same spot 1/4th down, then pushing the bottom of the stick, the stick will move. but if you put another two fingers at the very top then it won't move. its pretty much the same idea with forks, except not to that extend of flex.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
odin333 wrote:
1) there is no such thing as a triple crown fork. the only way you might be able to count three is because there is three tubes connected to the bike (the two stantions and the steerer tube).

2) a double crown fork is mounted on the bottom of the head tube, and the top. this makes it have less flex, but it makes a fork weigh more and you can't turn the fork as much (the stantions will hit the frame). the lowest travel you will see a double crown is about 170mm. you might see some old old XC bikes with 100mm dual crown, but that's because there old. the two connection spots are the bottom clamp and top clamp, but you might here a few people call the bottom clamp a "triple tree" because it has three connections on it (the two stantions and the steerer tube).

3) a single crown only is attached once, the two stantions come to a crown, which has the steerer tube connected to it. single crown forks tend to be lighter, more maneuverable, but the more travel there is the more flexy they will be. its like holding a Popsicle stick with two fingers in the same spot 1/4th down, then pushing the bottom of the stick, the stick will move. but if you put another two fingers at the very top then it won't move. its pretty much the same idea with forks, except not to that extend of flex.

okay i got it thanks :-)

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
seanyboy760 wrote:
is this a serious forum?

Yes it is...

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
seanyboy760 wrote:
is this a serious forum?

Everyone has to learn the difference at some point.

The crowns are the horizontal piece that hold the stantions onto the bike. double crown forks have a crown above and below the frame (boxxers), single crown only below (totems).

Edit: Odin beat me to it, and did a better job anyways.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
honestly guys, i think he got it when i told him, we can probably stop now

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
CaptainBLT wrote:
seanyboy760 wrote:
is this a serious forum?

Everyone has to learn the difference at some point.

The crowns are the horizontal piece that hold the stantions onto the bike. double crown forks have a crown above and below the frame (boxxers), single crown only below (totems).

Edit: Odin beat me to it, and did a better job anyways.

Thanks yeah and I know it was a stupid question but I was searching and couldn't find much on it.... Thanks tho 4 the answers :-) very helpful....

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 13:27 Quote
willbike4food wrote:

All you did was eliminate one part, the other guys answered the question you couldn't be bothered to.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
Double crown and triple clamp are both acceptable terms. Double crown is referring to the fact that there are two crowns connecting the stantions to the steerer tube. Tripple clamp refers to the fact that there are three clamping points on each crown, two on the stantions and one on the steerer for each crown.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
dirtjumpur wrote:
willbike4food wrote:

All you did was eliminate one part, the other guys answered the question you couldn't be bothered to.

ya i know, i just figured he got it after what i said cause thats usually the part people are confused about. i could be wrong

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 19:41 Quote
Being someone who google searched this question Odin33's answer is what I was looking for I do think the difference between double and single is a bit simple however, the advantages and technical differences are a little more nuanced.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010933
Mobile Version of Website