How to mount disk brackes on a bike without disk brakes holes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How to mount disk brackes on a bike without disk brakes holes
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
Dudes help me! PLZ! i have a SChwinn Kicker Pro 2007 (i`m starting pro biking for start i didnt choose a bike with very high price that bike`s 250$ LOL!) and the front disk brake is mounted.So i decited to put a rear dik brake too.Not so fast!!! there is no holes for disk brakes,yeah i have a rear wheel with disk brake and caliper too but how to mount it? PS there are two little hores down there but not for disk brake!

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:09 Quote
look on the net you can buy adapters

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
You can buy adapters, but they would cost nearly as much as your entire bike.

Before you start adding disks, take a look at more important parts of the bike, like frame, fork, wheels.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
just get some aluminum from a hardware store and make some brackets with a hawk saw, tablevice/vicegrips and a drill

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
ya don't worry about discs, specially in the back

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
on a Schwinn kicker u should upgrade the fork first

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
Ride the Schwinn till it dies, then toss it and then buy a bike from a BIKE store. Do not start putting a half decent fork onto a POS frame with POS parts. Ride it till it dies and then start over.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
i'm willing to bet that you can't mount a rear disc do to the lack of rear frame mount....ie, it's not disc compatible.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:41 Quote
andrew-mcintosh wrote:
i'm willing to bet that you can't mount a rear disc do to the lack of rear frame mount....ie, it's not disc compatible.

You can, but you need someone REAL GOOD to weld them up, maybe you can buy adapters. There's a place down in Aus where they can practically weld up anything your mind can conjure

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:45 Quote
In theory you could weld a car to a tree, but in practice, the disc tab would shear off due to the fact that the frame is in no way designed to have a disc tab on there.....and then theres heat treating.

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
http://www.jerseycycles.com/Product-Pages/A2ZProducts.html

$30 for this one

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
A reputable frame manufacturer, sure....
A schwinn? No way...

Posted: Nov 2, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
andrew-mcintosh wrote:
In theory you could weld a car to a tree, but in practice, the disc tab would shear off due to the fact that the frame is in no way designed to have a disc tab on there.....and then theres heat treating.

I don't think you could weld a car to a tree..... Anyway, they make a living out of this stuff, I'm pretty sure it would stay on. But it would cost $195 AUD inc postage whatever (so that what... about $3 USD now?). But yeah, the process is worth much more than your frame so just save up for a new bike.

And if you want to see, here it is. Check the photo albums for photo's of finished products http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?part=products

Posted: Jun 4, 2010 at 11:24 Quote
Hey I've got the same problem! I have heard of clip on ones but can't find them on the net.. please leave link if you find any cheap ones

Hotrock Specailized arw the best!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011510
Mobile Version of Website