Are avid codes worth getting?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are avid codes worth getting?
O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 11:22 Quote
I just got a paid of Codes and after installation and test rides I noticed that the rear caliper is a little messed up. When looking at the back of the bike, the outside pad (left) is moving away from the rotor and not towards it. The inside pad (right) is doing fine. I have bled the brakes with no change in the way the pistons are moving. Does anyone know how I can go about fixing the issue, or am I just screwed with a faulty caliper? Any advice is appreciated.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
I just got a paid of Codes and after installation and test rides I noticed that the rear caliper is a little messed up. When looking at the back of the bike, the outside pad (left) is moving away from the rotor and not towards it. The inside pad (right) is doing fine. I have bled the brakes with no change in the way the pistons are moving. Does anyone know how I can go about fixing the issue, or am I just screwed with a faulty caliper? Any advice is appreciated.

Hold the rotor against the pad that is moving with your fingers and pump the lever this should move the other piston.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:20 Quote
marquis wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

Hold the rotor against the pad that is moving with your fingers and pump the lever this should move the other piston.

I read that the DOT fluid is good for lubing the stuck piston, is that true or is there something else that would do better? Love the brakes, just not the issue that comes with it. Thanks again.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:22 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
marquis wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

I read that the DOT fluid is good for lubing the stuck piston, is that true or is there something else that would do better? Love the brakes, just not the issue that comes with it. Thanks again.

Ok not code related but hope had that tip i posted for there brakes,according to them it forced the dot fluid into and around the piston giving the lubrication it needed.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:27 Quote
Hold the rotor against the pad that is moving with your fingers and pump the lever this should move the other piston.[/Quote]

I read that the DOT fluid is good for lubing the stuck piston, is that true or is there something else that would do better? Love the brakes, just not the issue that comes with it. Thanks again.[/Quote]

Ok not code related but hope had that tip i posted for there brakes,according to them it forced the dot fluid into and around the piston giving the lubrication it needed.[/Quote]

Thanks man. I am gonna give this a try and hope for the best.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:33 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:

I read that the DOT fluid is good for lubing the stuck piston, is that true or is there something else that would do better? Love the brakes, just not the issue that comes with it. Thanks again.[/Quote]

Ok not code related but hope had that tip i posted for there brakes,according to them it forced the dot fluid into and around the piston giving the lubrication it needed.[/Quote]

Thanks man. I am gonna give this a try and hope for the best.[/Quote]

Hope it works,if not it will need a bleed.Salute

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:45 Quote
marquis wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

Hope it works,if not it will need a bleed.Salute [/Quote]

I bled them before this to see if that solved the issue. The piston didn't move because I never tried to get it going. When bled the brakes feel great, however the vibration is terrible. If I get the piston moving fine then I am gonna rebleed anyway (really easy with the kit). Hopefully this saves me some money.

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 13:51 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
marquis wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:

Ok not code related but hope had that tip i posted for there brakes,according to them it forced the dot fluid into and around the piston giving the lubrication it needed.

Hope it works,if not it will need a bleed.Salute [/Quote]

I bled them before this to see if that solved the issue. The piston didn't move because I never tried to get it going. When bled the brakes feel great, however the vibration is terrible. If I get the piston moving fine then I am gonna rebleed anyway (really easy with the kit). Hopefully this saves me some money.[/Quote]

Salute

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 16:31 Quote
marquis wrote:

Salute

I got the pistons moving, but they didn't stay moving unless the other side was held in place. Is Sram any good with customer service?

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 6:10 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
marquis wrote:

Salute

I got the pistons moving, but they didn't stay moving unless the other side was held in place. Is Sram any good with customer service?
where'd ya purchase them?

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 6:17 Quote
blueeyedbiker68 wrote:
cake1dlx wrote:
marquis wrote:

Salute

where'd ya purchase them?

Pricepoint.com about a year ago.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 6:25 Quote
My friend has had codes and I thought they were pretty powerfull, but my elixir have the same power, better modulation and alot lighter

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 6:37 Quote
I bought these because of the power. I weigh 225 (trying to lose some weight now) so I wanted a stronger brake. The power is there, the problem is that vibrations are too. I called SRAM and had to leave a message, no one answered during business hours. Hopefully they get back to me with an answer on this one. Thanks for all the help I hope it ends well.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 7:09 Quote
cake1dlx wrote:
I bought these because of the power. I weigh 225 (trying to lose some weight now) so I wanted a stronger brake. The power is there, the problem is that vibrations are too. I called SRAM and had to leave a message, no one answered during business hours. Hopefully they get back to me with an answer on this one. Thanks for all the help I hope it ends well.
Im not sure how theyd handle your problem given where you purchased them, (not an actual bike shop) and when (they'll be able to tell how old they are by the production serial numbers)they were made and they could be out of warranty,.dunno? Sounds like there might be particulate in the brake fluid making the pistons stick? You may have to completely flush out all of the old fluid along with whatever crap is in 'em makin them stick like that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013363
Mobile Version of Website