Changing my GT chucker into single speed, HELP!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Changing my GT chucker into single speed, HELP!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
Right, i have had my Gt chucker for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and i want to change it to single speed after christmas, have you got any ideas and names of gears etc i could use?
would be used for 4X and jumps.

thank you

ali !!

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:22 Quote
Get a bmx drivetrain a sprocket/freewheel and a chain get a shop to fit the freewheel on and the sprocket should be easy. Depends what speed you want to go because if it comes to hill and your on a high gear your f*cked.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:23 Quote
get a dmr or gusset single speed kit and run
28 tooth front and 12 tooth back
or 28 front 13 back
or 32 front 16 back
there all fairly good gears to ride dj/4x on Beer

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
i have a kona scrap (i know its not the same but the smae basic idea)
when i did it i took off the rear mech and front mech
removed the rear sprocket and bought a gusset singlespeed kit
just whack it on and your good to go
however its probably a good idea to buy a chain tensioner that fits where your rear mech goes
and a singlespeed chain because i stretched my normal chain in a few weeks

its vertical dropouts if so u will need a chain tensioner dmr gusset etc and a single speed kit if its horizontal then its easy or u could use a halflink chain Salute

iCloudz wrote:
Get a bmx drivetrain a sprocket/freewheel and a chain get a shop to fit the freewheel on and the sprocket should be easy. Depends what speed you want to go because if it comes to hill and your on a high gear your f*cked.

theres genraly no uphills in dj/4x

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:26 Quote
awwsommee!!!

thanks guys, i might wait to see what others think but i might go for the 28 front and 12 rear set up, thanks you!

ali

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
Basically if you do what everyone's said (get a conversion kit/chain/tensioner, take off your granny (smaller) ring, take off your front mech and shifter) you'll do fine, and ignore Icloudz.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:31 Quote
timbercombe wrote:
Basically if you do what everyone's said (get a conversion kit/chain/tensioner, take off your granny (smaller) ring, take off your front mech and shifter) you'll do fine, and ignore Icloudz.

i agree Salute
but if he wants to run 28 front he will be running on the grannyring tup

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
Yep sorry ye, although looking at spec he'll have 32T prob (I had a chucker can't remember what size rings were though) guess it'll depend on what model/year, but you can prob find a good ratio whatever ring you have to work from, or replace the ring.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
its the 2008 XC1 model so i think it will have the 32 teeth as well

once ive got the parts ill take it to my local bike shop and see if they can do it for mee Smile

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
if you run a 32 fornt and a 14 back that is exactly the same ratio as a 28 fornt and 12 back
but i run a 32 front and 18 back because it gives me a low ratio which i find easier for messing around and street

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
tobias-live2ride wrote:
its vertical dropouts if so u will need a chain tensioner dmr gusset etc and a single speed kit if its horizontal then its easy or u could use a halflink chain Salute

i think you can use a chainguide as a tentioner my friend uses one for his bike

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
ok, fair enough Big Grin

i was looking at this hub but i dunno if to get it or not...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16489

i might try and get it while the sale is on, but i wanna know if it any point getting this one or not

Ali

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
It'll cost a load to get it laced up, whereas tensioners/ss conversions are relatively cheap, depends if you want it as a fix kinda thing or really want to do it properly spending more cash.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008928
Mobile Version of Website