Changing my GT chucker into single speed, HELP!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Changing my GT chucker into single speed, HELP!
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 11:53 Quote
hi my friend has done this to his chucker and he used the stock chainring, removed the outer ring and brought a hope hub with a dmr ss kit, it runs smooth and you dont need to spend alot aswell, if you buy the hub from chainreaction flood sale you can get a spin doctor for £20, or you could just buy a halo DJD hub thats on for £45

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
timbercombe wrote:
It'll cost a load to get it laced up, whereas tensioners/ss conversions are relatively cheap, depends if you want it as a fix kinda thing or really want to do it properly spending more cash.

do you know how they replace the old gears?
because it looks like complex taking everything off etc Smile

ill get just one of the tensioners tbh i think Smile

Ali

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
To replace gears, you take off shifters, take off a chainring, take off front and rear mechs, and cables attached. Then you take off the cassette, put the conversion kit on where cassette was. Get correct chain length, with the tensioner on, adjust tensioner. That's the overall outline.

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 4:56 Quote
awsome, thats for messaging back guys. im now gunna get:

DJD hub ( halo i think)
SAS rim
and a full wheel build Big Grin

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 10:27 Quote
alistair14 wrote:

DJD hub ( halo i think)
SAS rim
you want to get a halo freedom they are much better and lighter that the SAS and with the DJD hub you gt the ultimate ss wheel

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 11:57 Quote
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:

DJD hub ( halo i think)
SAS rim
you want to get a halo freedom they are much better and lighter that the SAS and with the DJD hub you gt the ultimate ss wheel

hmm, my mate has the halo freedom, but i want strenght, not really bothered about weight(dont shout at me!!)

i need something good and strongSmile

i might go with ur idea tbh! Big Grin

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 12:04 Quote
alistair14 wrote:
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:

DJD hub ( halo i think)
SAS rim

hmm, my mate has the halo freedom, but i want strenght, not really bothered about weight(dont shout at me!!)

Big Grin wow ul need to get a chain tenstioner because you got vertical dropouts but still its down to what you can afford at the end but tbh GET THEM NOW!!!!! before all the parts go and im talking about on chain reaction lol

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:

Big Grin wow ul need to get a chain tenstioner because you got vertical dropouts but still its down to what you can afford at the end but tbh GET THEM NOW!!!!! before all the parts go and im talking about on chain reaction lol

ill get them ordered in at the place i work it easiler, plus they can fit it when it comes Smile
im now on the look for a chain tensioner, and a chain

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 12:34 Quote
alistair14 wrote:
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:

ill get them ordered in at the place i work it easiler, plus they can fit it when it comes Smile
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27578 Da Bomb RL-4 Chain tensioner
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28374
or you could use a half link

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27578 Da Bomb RL-4 Chain tensioner
i cant do anything till after x-mas tbh Frown
im getting lists of things to get, then geting the best ones out of it Smile

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
alistair14 wrote:
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
alistair14 wrote:

i cant do anything till after x-mas tbh Frown
im getting lists of things to get, then geting the best ones out of it Smile

ok well its your decision in the end and what your happy with soo good luck with the conversion Salute

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 at 11:59 Quote
NEWS:

i have ordered the SAS rim and the DJD hub, and will start the transformation soon Big Grin

cheeres for the freeback etc guys

Ali

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 at 12:16 Quote
Big Grin when you get it on your bike you will have to take update pictures of it haha

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
Hey Ali i see you need a chsin tensioner.
I have a DMR STS If you wanna make me an offer =]
Only used once!

Posted: Nov 8, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
DirtJumper2k8 wrote:
Big Grin when you get it on your bike you will have to take update pictures of it haha
i will dont you worry Big Grin
it should be here in the next week or two, im gunna get it built up, and leave it till ive got everything else sorted, ive got a nice list Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014945
Mobile Version of Website