Is the KHE mac 2 the lightest 24" tire?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Is the KHE mac 2 the lightest 24" tire?
Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
many guys use xc tires, like sb8's, which are even lighter and therefore thinner
I havent had any problems with my sb8's, its just that they dont grip very well in park and street situations, but the toughness of them is fine for most people

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 12:13 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
I don't know any serious BMX riders still using Mac...too light, too thin, no durability

they either burst, split or tear under heavy use

everyone here in London dumped them and went back to use heavier, tougher tires

would be even worse in 24" or 26".....

i've had my mac2 on the rear for about 4 months now. its been fine, no rips, random burts, bangs, or anyhtink lol.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
im guessing its 24 judging by your name, but do you know of anyone who has weighed a 26 dirt version?

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
brandonf wrote:
im guessing its 24 judging by your name, but do you know of anyone who has weighed a 26 dirt version?

oh, no, sorry

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
there are definitly lighter options, but are not nearly as wide.

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
i've had my mac2 on the rear for about 4 months now. its been fine, no rips, random burts, bangs, or anyhtink lol.

that good news...you have been lucky

I had both mine literally explode whilst riding, the tire carcass could not contain the pressure and tore open

front tire blew out riding a pocket bowl in skatepark = nasty slam

back tire blew out riding down street = not so nasty

the big problem with the KHE is glass penetration when riding street, as the carcass and rubber layers are extremely thin (which is why its so light, Kevlar bead usually makes only 30-50gm weight difference on bmx tire)

I tried using Panaracer Kevlar strips inside to stop glass penetration but after literally 10 punctures in 1 week it was getting silly and then it blew Frown

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:24 Quote
ahhh man.

i have mine pumped to 80psi because thats what feels right to me really.

what did you rub yours at?

i didn't get any punctures for about 3 months with it but then i got like 2 punctures because of stones n glass n shti so i use this protective layer of plastic thing and its fine now, although it does add like 80g more which dimoinats the fact that i have a light tire now because i've added weight to it

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:31 Quote
if you look at the packaging that the tire comes in, KHE state you MUST run them at minimum 100psi to provide enough support for the tire

the reason you have to run them so high pressure is because the tire is so thin, its actually relying on the air pressure to provide the support

with a heavier tire, the carcass and rubber layers are thicker, to provide support and so you can run them around 80psi without problems

of course, running the KHE at the recommend 100psi+ pressure with its inherently thin casing means as soon as a piece of broken glass or flint comes into contact with the tire..its BANG or tears the casing, allow the tire to burst

its a shame, because it was an awesome "weight saving" measure, but durability is always more important than weight savings Wink

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
haha yeah man i totally agree with the durability bit. although, i am kinda running a few silly light things Big Grin

howcome my tires has been fine at 80psi then, even some tiems it was 70 lol.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 6:40 Quote
the 26" specialized rhythm lights are actualy a tiny bit lighter than mac2 dirt :O

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 6:43 Quote
good to know for if a went 26 Wink

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
nah, there are obviously better options than the khe mac 2 tire, such as small block 8s in a 1.95, 435 grams, and u dont have to run rediculous pressures to provide the stability they need.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
I hated my small blocks. My racekings have been alot better. As soon as those wear out thouh, I'm going to give macs a try now that they are available in Canada in 26" through lambertI

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 19:05 Quote
brandonf wrote:
I hated my small blocks. My racekings have been alot better. As soon as those wear out thouh, I'm going to give macs a try now that they are available in Canada in 26" through lambertI

curious, why didnt you like them?

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 1:04 Quote
Well I had 1.95s and they were just too narrow. The grip on dirt was good but they didn't feel grippy on concrete and just felt really unstable

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006448
Mobile Version of Website