Canadian brands

| Next Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
get-hucked666 wrote:
While i do see your point as valid I fail to see how it makes any sense.

Taiwan have the ability to, and a lot of the time do, make much better frames than ones made in America or Canada etc. Their welders are highly skilled and have most likely been welding for the most part of their life.

The only time you get problems is when the company itself specify's the manufacturer to make the frames as cheap as possible. So the parts made aren't as precisely machined, the welds get less time and attention to detail put into them etc.

It's entirely up to the company to choose their quality. But profit margins will always be the deciding factor.

A made in Taiwan frame is something to have pride in, when it's built to a high standard. More so than an American/Canadian made frame, built to low quality.

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
get-hucked666 wrote:
While i do see your point as valid I fail to see how it makes any sense.

Taiwan have the ability to, and a lot of the time do, make much better frames than ones made in America or Canada etc. Their welders are highly skilled and have most likely been welding for the most part of their life.

The only time you get problems is when the company itself specify's the manufacturer to make the frames as cheap as possible. So the parts made aren't as precisely machined, the welds get less time and attention to detail put into them etc.

It's entirely up to the company to choose their quality. But profit margins will always be the deciding factor.

A made in Taiwan frame is something to have pride in, when it's built to a high standard. More so than an American/Canadian made frame, built to low quality.

Yeah that would make sense.. But banshee as the example never was poor at welding frames so they essentially went to Taiwan to save money, not that the quality is any different i just had more for the company when they were Canadian made.

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:38 Quote
Personally, I think the Best small compagny is Cycles Appalache from Quebec (old Balfa company was bought by a big company then closed...) They started the new company in 2005!!! It's 100% Canada brains and handmade here... Check it out, the Appalache Réal is a World cup worthy DH bike... Devinci makes good bikes too but the design is really similar to other brands...

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 14:58 Quote
the only things that matters with bike frame production is actually the amount of money put aside to produce each frame (as this determines the materials, production techniques, quality control) and the actual plant (factory) that its being made in

companies like Devinci actually make A1 quality frames in Canada, which will equal anything the Taiwanese can make

but on the other hand, I have seen USA made frames from companies like Intense that have had poor welding, poor alignment and finish compared to a Taiwanese production frame produced for Specialized or Giant

and then I have seen other Intense frames that have been A1 quality, their consistency is perhaps dubious from time to time?

a good plant, no matter where its located, is key to the quality, and paying enough money to the plant, to produce the frame design as the design engineer intended, without cutting corners to save money

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
and regarding Banshee...they have NEVER been made in Canada

even the Sideshow Bob made for Bow Cycles (the pre-runner to the Scream) was Taiwan made

Banshee looked at producing in Canada and it was not logistically possible, they would have spent all their time taking the tubing from the tubing shop to the mitre shop, to the welding shop, to the heat treating shop, to the alignment shop, to the painters, getting bearings from a supplier, bolts from another, to the assemblers, etc.

in Taiwan, you can find plants that can do this in-house, or have the tubing people down the road, and the paint shop next door, it makes it cost effective which means more money spent on tubing technology, fitting production (ie. forged head tubes), better quality control (better QC actually costs more...)

you either go to TW to allow you to make good stuff at an affordable price with good quality, or in rare circumstances you have someone like Devinci that have their own plant in Canada and can do it all "in house", but that is a rarity these days

brands like Cove and Evil are made by SAPA in Canada, not "in house"

there is no shame in being proud about frames made in Taiwan, they are good people and work very hard, and most of the plants out there are family owned by guys who put a huge amount of their money into the latest machinery, trained their workers to the highest standard, they take pride in their work, and have earned a great reputation worldwide

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 at 11:04 Quote
Mr. Hampstead Bandit gets a cheroot. His post is dead-nuts on the money.

The rest of this thread is really something else again. Chris King is in the States. Of course. Norco makes very little in Canada except marketing. Race Face is combo - much is made in and around Vancouver, and much is farmed out overseas.

I don't know much more about it, so I won't say much more about it.

Thanks Hampstead. For reason.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
erik74 wrote:
Xprezo

Now there is a true Canadian bike company.
Their bikes are designed, welded and hand built in Quebec. Can't wait for my Furax!

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 20:17 Quote
beer-breath wrote:
erik74 wrote:
Xprezo

Their bikes are designed, welded and hand built in Quebec. Can't wait for my Furax!
sweet, be sure to come on here and tell us how she rides!

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 20:37 Quote
erik74 wrote:
beer-breath wrote:
erik74 wrote:
Xprezo

sweet, be sure to come on here and tell us how she rides!

Mono-pivot... not single-pivot, those frames suck... this is new Mono pivot! (lulcoptra!)
And what is the e2e length on that shock? Ridiculous!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 20:54 Quote
wonder-kid wrote:
Where are Cove bikes made?

It's an old thread but this question didn't get answered.

Cove might be a Canadian company but not all of their frames are made in Canada.

* Aluminum frames are made in Canada

* Steel frames are made in Taiwan

* Titanium frames are made in the USA

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011040
Mobile Version of Website