My First Bike! need your expert opinion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
My First Bike! need your expert opinion
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
I went to my local dealer and they offer me a Specialized FSR XC for $ 1500 cnd. tax lncluded; seem to me like a great deal but I decide to ask you if this is a good XC bike or I should spend more money and go for a different brand.
I really like the YETI bikes, I hear good things about the but I dont know if is a better option.
To many names and models, I would like to hear something like.... go with this brand and model because is the best option out there.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 13:33 Quote
Spesh makes good bikes overall people suggest a lot of Spesh bikes for first bikes or norco but i haven't seen and FXC XC and i dont do any XC so i dunno

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
what year is it and what model eg. pro expert or comp.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
great xc bike with enough suspension to fly back down the hill

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
you could either get the fsr xc or look on pinkbike buysell and geta bighit or a sx trail for the same price but it's your money and preference

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:06 Quote
specialized-rocks wrote:
you could either get the fsr xc or look on pinkbike buysell and geta bighit or a sx trail for the same price but it's your money and preference
Why on earth would you suggest freeride bikes to someone who isn't freeriding? Besides I wouldn't recommend getting a used bike for your first ride, as you could end up buying a lemon pretty easily. If you're just starting out it'll be important to be able to take your bike back into the shop to ask questions and get small fixes, until you can learn about that stuff yourself.

An FSR XC is a really good choice for a beginner. It's very well priced, and reasonably capable. You'll likely find components on it that you'll want to change eventually, but if you're just starting out you won't know the difference either way. Just make sure you learn about maintenance, and it should last you a fair while.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:40 Quote
might help with a little more information. do you know what FSR XC it was? because there is a Pro, Expert, and Comp version of the bike. which means they have the same frame, but they have different parts. the pro has medium level parts end parts while the Comp has more low/mid level parts on it.

the FSR is a good bike for a beginner overall. Yeti makes some nice bikes, but they aren't known for making amazing XC bikes. they aren't crap bikes, but your not going to see professional XC riders using them. they also come with a pretty heavy price tag for what you get. the last thing about Yeti is that in 2009 they started building there bikes in Taiwan like most companies instead of being hand built in Canada like they were in 2008 and down.

another good Alternative to the FSR xc is a Trek EX 5.5. the Trek site says they sell for about $1600 Canadian, but I'm almost sure you'll be able to find the 08's for around $1300. the EX 5.5 has better suspension technology on there frames then the Specialized and you won't have a problem with it.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:43 Quote
Look into a Norco Fluid, The frame is an awesome low, but XC feeling design. The rear end is nice and stiff but still takes bumps like a babe. The was a slight bit of pedal bob is the granny gears.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:43 Quote
get a v10 there great tup

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 7:45 Quote
RADBRAD721 wrote:

atleast read the first post before you come into the Cross-Country & All-Mountain section and decide to tell someone to get a hardcore downhill bike.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
odin333 wrote:
might help with a little more information. do you know what FSR XC it was? because there is a Pro, Expert, and Comp version of the bike. which means they have the same frame, but they have different parts. the pro has medium level parts end parts while the Comp has more low/mid level parts on it.

the FSR is a good bike for a beginner overall. Yeti makes some nice bikes, but they aren't known for making amazing XC bikes. they aren't crap bikes, but your not going to see professional XC riders using them. they also come with a pretty heavy price tag for what you get. the last thing about Yeti is that in 2009 they started building there bikes in Taiwan like most companies instead of being hand built in Canada like they were in 2008 and down.

another good Alternative to the FSR xc is a Trek EX 5.5. the Trek site says they sell for about $1600 Canadian, but I'm almost sure you'll be able to find the 08's for around $1300. the EX 5.5 has better suspension technology on there frames then the Specialized and you won't have a problem with it.

I think you're confusing Canada and Colorado, where Yeti's were made. Anyways, I totally agree that for your first bike, if you can afford it, buy a new bike from a respected and "friendly feeling" shop. They'll do a lot to help you out down the road. And a Specialized is generally a safe bet.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
odin333 wrote:
RADBRAD721 wrote:

atleast read the first post before you come into the Cross-Country & All-Mountain section and decide to tell someone to get a hardcore downhill bike.
sry it was on the last posted section at the start but still

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
RADBRAD721 wrote:
odin333 wrote:
RADBRAD721 wrote:

sry it was on the last posted section at the start but still
But still what? You really think he should buy a V10 for XC riding? Seriously, don't even bother to post if you aren't going to add anything useful to the discussion.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 9:46 Quote
arkkitekktura wrote:
I went to my local dealer and they offer me a Specialized FSR XC for $ 1500 cnd. tax lncluded; seem to me like a great deal but I decide to ask you if this is a good XC bike or I should spend more money and go for a different brand.
I really like the YETI bikes, I hear good things about the but I dont know if is a better option.
To many names and models, I would like to hear something like.... go with this brand and model because is the best option out there.

For $1500 taxes included I would suggest the FSR XC. As others have posted its good value and capable, and easy to upgrade later if that's what you want to do.What's their price like on the Stumpjumper Comp FSR?

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009050
Mobile Version of Website