Which is better for Dirt jumping? A Dirt Jump Mountain Bike or a Dirt jump BMX?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Which is better for Dirt jumping? A Dirt Jump Mountain Bike or a Dirt jump BMX?
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 at 10:09 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
BMX is not easy, and that is why people that say they have "tried" both will usually prefer riding an MTB for Dirt Jumping

we have seen a lot of kids in our local scene try BMX and give up after a few months, sell their BMX and go back to riding MTB's on the dirt jumps

often they will buy a cheap BMX (that will ride like sh*t) and then compare that to a MTB DJ bike 2 or 3 times the price

BMX is like skateboarding in that its less forgiving and takes more hard work to get good at it

you need precision, control and skill to ride a BMX properly, and that takes time...sometimes years!

You need to ride a bmx on the right jumps. riding bmx on a trail built for a mountain bike is very difficult, if a jump has a reasonably flat landing, with no pump at the bottom, BMx'ers will find it difficult, therefore lose confidence. The same with MTB on bmx trails. etc.

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
timlake wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
BMX is not easy, and that is why people that say they have "tried" both will usually prefer riding an MTB for Dirt Jumping

we have seen a lot of kids in our local scene try BMX and give up after a few months, sell their BMX and go back to riding MTB's on the dirt jumps

often they will buy a cheap BMX (that will ride like sh*t) and then compare that to a MTB DJ bike 2 or 3 times the price

BMX is like skateboarding in that its less forgiving and takes more hard work to get good at it

you need precision, control and skill to ride a BMX properly, and that takes time...sometimes years!

You need to ride a bmx on the right jumps. riding bmx on a trail built for a mountain bike is very difficult, if a jump has a reasonably flat landing, with no pump at the bottom, BMx'ers will find it difficult, therefore lose confidence. The same with MTB on bmx trails. etc.

Well id rather ride bmx trails on my 24s than just flat landing mtb jumps. But it depends on how tight they are.

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 at 12:40 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

I agree with you 110%. Like I've said is this thread before...I rode 20"s for over 25 years and yes I was a pretty good racer but on the street and trails I was only O.K. BMX riding takes alot of skill and dicipline to achieve really good results. That plus my age is what made me hang up my 20" days and go with building a new 26" DJ...but I will never forget my roots and how it all started!!!

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
24s are genius. A perfect mix. You can ride pretty much anythingSmile

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
My vote goes to BMX because it's way lighter to hit jumps and easier to do tricks.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 17:56 Quote
mtb all the way!!! bmx belongs in parks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008075
Mobile Version of Website