Bench Press Compared To Body Weight

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Bench Press Compared To Body Weight
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
Its how you break up body parts. You can do a whole body work out 3x per week but a lot of people find it more effective to break up your body into groups, each group takes a day. for instance arms, legs, back, chest, shoulders

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
Kadin wrote:
Ok everyone, how much can you bench compared to your bodyweight? Right now im benching 225 for a max one rep and i weigh 146.
ive had a personal trainer for 2 years now training me for my hockey career, and ive learned that your calculated one rep max will not come close to your actual one rep max, you need to find a weight you can actually do 1 time alone with no help, this calculation bullshit doesnt work, my one rep is 285, im 6 feet,17 and a half, 185lbs, but ive been body building for 2 years.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
jewfro wrote:
loach55 wrote:
dirtjumper183 wrote:
does anyone know any good workout routines, I want to get toned and gain some mass

Cant really get lean and gain mass at the same time... one or the other. For mass best bet is prolly a 5 day split, 10-12 reps per set. 6-16 sets per muscle depending on its size (proportional to your body ie do 6 sets for bi's and 16 for back, 16 for quads etc) Eat lots. Sleep lots. Squat deadlift and bench
What do you mean by splits?
actually a solid muscle mass building routine is based on shoulders and back on mondays, legs and forarms tuesday(and abs if you want) chest and traps wedmesday, thursday off, and bicepts and tricepts fridays, weekends off, include a 10 minute run before and after. To build muscle mass you want 3 sets for each workout, 10 reps first set, 8 the second and 4-6 the 3rd, making the weight heavier each set so you max out. legs need 4 sets, but on the same basis, if your going for endurance and lean muslce you dont need the heavy weight low rep, you need less weight with a higher rep and the same amount of reps each exercise with a steady weight.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
pursell wrote:
jewfro wrote:
loach55 wrote:

Cant really get lean and gain mass at the same time... one or the other. For mass best bet is prolly a 5 day split, 10-12 reps per set. 6-16 sets per muscle depending on its size (proportional to your body ie do 6 sets for bi's and 16 for back, 16 for quads etc) Eat lots. Sleep lots. Squat deadlift and bench
actually a solid muscle mass building routine is based on shoulders and back on mondays, legs and forarms tuesday(and abs if you want) chest and traps wedmesday, thursday off, and bicepts and tricepts fridays, weekends off, include a 10 minute run before and after. To build muscle mass you want 3 sets for each workout, 10 reps first set, 8 the second and 4-6 the 3rd, making the weight heavier each set so you max out. legs need 4 sets, but on the same basis, if your going for endurance and lean muslce you dont need the heavy weight low rep, you need less weight with a higher rep and the same amount of reps each exercise with a steady weight.
that looks like my workout routine execpt i dont make the weight heavier each set.just wondering what ohl team do you play for?

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 18:04 Quote
loach55 wrote:
dirtjumper183 wrote:
does anyone know any good workout routines, I want to get toned and gain some mass

ok then, any good routines for getting toned?

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 19:24 Quote
pursell wrote:
jewfro wrote:
loach55 wrote:

Its different for everyone. I speak from experience, you can make up any split you want and you can do enough with only 3 or 4 sets per muscle but you end up with a full body split 3x a week, so you end up doing the same amount of work. I've never done cardio for a warm up nor do I think its effective, just a waste of energy. Warm up for me is simply a few light sets. If your doing bench you dont want blood in your legs, so running is useless. Some pushups or a few light sets will get blood where it needs to be. A more structured program will be good for beginners, but right now I take days off when I want and figure out what I'm doing as I go, based on what I see fit at that point in time. And I'll disagree with your rep scheme. 10-12 reps with 60-90sec of rest between sets is optimal for size in my opinion. The number of sets will vary, like I said, with the muscle being worked.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
dirtjumper183 wrote:
loach55 wrote:
dirtjumper183 wrote:

ok then, any good routines for getting toned?

No such thing as getting "toned" You dont tone your muscles, they have a shape determined primarily by genetics and a little bit by your choice of exercise. You become more defined by shedding body fat, which is optimally done with a low-carb diet with lots of protein and a small calorie deficit, high intensity interval training and more of a strength rep scheme, generally below 6 reps (with a proper warm up of course).

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
I weight about 160, am 6 foot 1 and can bench press 150. However I haven't worked on my bench press in a while since my skeletal structure has left me with tiny shoulders that I've been working on.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 19:56 Quote
i am 6 ft weigh 187 lbs and i can bench... My 07 RMX, so im guessing 47 lbs plus the fact i fell and was stuck so my form was probably shit. in my school gym i could bench 55lbs... i have stick arms Frown but I can do 100 kilos (kilos not pounds) in the squat machine, not sure about now though, that was grade 10

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 20:03 Quote
Kadin wrote:
Ok everyone, how much can you bench compared to your bodyweight? Right now im benching 225 for a max one rep and i weigh 146.
i have to say i dont believe you at 6'1" 146 is so scrony and 225 is a lot for 146 pound person let alone a twig

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:
Kadin wrote:
I think we should probably include heights as well. I'm 6'1
so your 6'1 and weigh 140 somthing and you bench 225?
yeaa what a twig

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
kona-rider69 wrote:
jewfro wrote:
kona-rider69 wrote:
what would be the best to build up chest and bicepts? keep the explanation easy please i dont work out or anything so i dont understand it all
They're are like hundreds of workouts for your chest, but bicep curls work good for biceps.
like 2 or 3 that i could do with out going to the gym
Pick up some spare bike parts and use em as weights....Forks work great.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
loach55 wrote:

maybe i was benchpressing wrong, but after watching that video i tried to perform a proper set of bench presses and discovered that with good form i'm good with 115 lbs by 8 reps, 4 sets.
im not going to bench 160 anymore if it means im doing it wrong.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:50 Quote
I'm 14(15 in about a week) and my max for 1 lift is 180. And I usually do around 130 for 3 sets of 10 or like 145 for 4 sets of 6. We lift at football practice, it's very convenient because now I don't have to pay for a gym membership or anything stupid like that. tup Oh I I am 6 ft. and weigh about 230 lbs.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
Oldsouth wrote:
loach55 wrote:

maybe i was benchpressing wrong, but after watching that video i tried to perform a proper set of bench presses and discovered that with good form i'm good with 115 lbs by 8 reps, 4 sets.
im not going to bench 160 anymore if it means im doing it wrong.

Were you not touching your chest?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009578
Mobile Version of Website