Your Spray Painted Stuff?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Your Spray Painted Stuff?
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 14:57 Quote
sounds like its orange peeling. applying a clear coat can be as challenging a process as high realism airbrushing.

i look at clear coating like i regard dry wall installation. you do it perfectly, everybody says shit like "well thats what drywall is supposed to look like". you do it just a little wrong, f*cked up walls becomes all the dinner party discusses.

go look up orange peeling. if it sounds like a pain in the ass.
its a paint in the ass.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
You look at oranges peeing online?? Canadians be cray!!

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

meanwhile heely pops in his R. kelly videos once the family falls asleep.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 15:05 Quote
obee1 wrote:
sounds like its orange peeling. applying a clear coat can be as challenging a process as high realism airbrushing.

i look at clear coating like i regard dry wall installation. you do it perfectly, everybody says shit like "well thats what drywall is supposed to look like". you do it just a little wrong, f*cked up walls becomes all the dinner party discusses.

go look up orange peeling. if it sounds like a pain in the ass.
its a paint in the ass.

That's the bugger.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
obee1 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

A little skeet skeet for all!

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 21:06 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
obee1 wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

A little skeet skeet for all!

there should be a betting pool on when skeet becomes offensive to say. theres a shooting range by my house and its impossible for me not to giggle when the old codgers start yappin about how much fun the skeet shootin is.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
Been looking up orange peel tips online, keeps reminding me of this sketch:

Been doing some more today, having more success, keeping the can pretty close to the tubes seems to be key with the stuff I'm using.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
So what you're getting is called dry-spray. Literally the droplets of clearcoat are drying before they land on the panel. Cheap, fast air dry clearcoats are really prone to this, but it can happen on all clearcoats if done improperly. There is a fine dancing balance between temp, airflow, speed of hand movement, amount of material flow and distance to panel. You were having issues with the last one. Decrease your distance to about 6-8 inches away, slowing down your hand speed a little,, and keep your airflow at a MILD rate going across the panel and that should really help. I have to troubleshoot professional bodyshop painters through all the same issues every day since I run an automotive paint store.

Also if you ever decide to up your rattle can game, look at auto paint stores that mix paint into Spray max brand rattle cans. Their 2 part primers and clearcoats are top-shelf product into a rattle can form. The big thing on those is you'll have to use a cartridge respirator or it's a one-way ticket to the hospital because they're the good nasty deadly chemicals. So good, but not to be overlooked.

We always joke, worst case scenario is sand it down and do it again.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 5:19 Quote
"one-way ticket to the hospital because they're the good nasty deadly chemicals"

Yeh, probably why they wouldn't conventional post them 2k Spray max brand rattle cans
to Scotland, they would only do special courier delivery when I tried to order them.

Posted: Aug 12, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
photo
photo

2010 Specialized P2

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
bike I painted last year.

Painted this at work last year, got more pics on PC somewhere.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
Oh the joys of rainbow glitter pearl. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Between that and old-school flake it is the herpes of the paint world. So much fun though.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
But you get all the nostalgia points...and infect any other projects in the spray booth lol

Posted: Sep 1, 2020 at 4:00 Quote
Rattle can job with purple to cyan flip paint, turned out pretty good imo

photo
photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020429
Mobile Version of Website