Good Hubs

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 17:29 Quote
I held a true precision hub at the bike show last week. It didn't seem unreasonably heavy. It did inspire the most gear lust i've had in years.
the president of the company was out meeting the people. He seemed alright.

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 17:35 Quote
crap, i had no idea they were at the toronto show... i'da searched long and wide to find that booth...

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
Warning: True Precision "Stealth" Hub rant below:

Ok, so when I went to the bike show, I came by the TruePrecision booth, and having previously heard of them (visited website) but had no idea how they worked, I spent around half an hour or more talking to the representative there. This is what I gathered:

Weight: He claimed it to be 1 lb (for the mtb version) so without QR, it would be 454g or so. I've also held it and in my non-professional opinion it is not much different than one of those Shimano Deore M475 hubs that I have. I've weighed that Shimano just now, it came to be 442g (just take my word for it). But hey, why take my word for it when you can see the weights on their website Sub 500g for rear Smile

Price: He said currently there are no Canadian distributers and since this was the first time TruePrecision has even come to a Canadian bike show, he couldn't give a MRSP. However, he said in the US, it is the same price range as Chris King, and this should stay the same if they distribute here.

Why it's special: This hub was so interesting to me because of 2 things. First it makes no noise at all, which led me to believe it does not use pawls. Second, it has infinite engagement points. I took a look at their sample, took it apart (no special tools needed) and also played around with their display showing a blown up version of the drive mechanism. I'm going to try and duplicate that display:

photo

It might take a few moments to understand that picture, but basically what is happening is that the bearings are only allowed to rotate in one direction (coasting). As soon as it rotates clock-wise, the bearings become pinched into their respected "bearing block". This isn't the real term, I just made it up for referencing, but the whole drive mechanism is actually a special type of cartridge bearing. It's NOT anything new. In fact the representative said you can easily buy such replacement bearing cartridges(in essence the drive mechanism) almost anywhere.

Reason why it weighs what it does: If you think about where the stress of pedaling is dissipated in this hub, you will realize that it goes straight to the outer axle and inner axle. The outer axle is being stressed outwards and the inner axle is being stressed inwards. Therefore, these two axles have to be a certain thickness so they do not collapse during heavy loads. This is why it weighs so much!

/rant over. Congrats for reading all that. Smile

Edit: lol I mixed up the drive and coast directions, now fixed.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 20:27 Quote
awesome writeup. thanks, it would've been 100x awesomer with an animated diagram though Razz

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
cobra20 wrote:
I am trying to figure out what would be the best hub to get between a Chris King, a Hope, or a DT Swiss 440. What do you guys think would be best?

DT 240 no doubt.

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 22:23 Quote
iggz wrote:
cobra20 wrote:
I am trying to figure out what would be the best hub to get between a Chris King, a Hope, or a DT Swiss 440. What do you guys think would be best?

DT 240 no doubt.
interesting u tell him to buy that but ur picture is of a king lol

Posted: Mar 29, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
King front hubs are coo but front hubs don't really matter. I like my 240 front as much as I like my King 20mm ISO.

But for Rear hubs, it's all about DT 240's.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 3:10 Quote
I wanted 240s or 340s laced to 721s. Shame my wallet won't allow it.

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
iggz wrote:
cobra20 wrote:

DT 240 no doubt.

Hell yeah, 240's are sick!

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
photo
Hopefully one of these makes it on mah bicycle as well

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
iggz wrote:
photo
Hopefully one of these makes it on mah bicycle as well
lol...i has a set of those...:P high maintnence Big Grin
mine thread into the hub tho and not the rim

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
They shouldn't be high maintenance at all, and you have the 150mm rear J-bend? gnarly...

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:22 Quote
iggz wrote:
They shouldn't be high maintenance at all, and you have the 150mm rear J-bend? gnarly...
no no...i have the 135 and their straight spoke...there not like the one in the pic above

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
I had a hope pro 2 rear hub and it was gr8! nice and loud aswel. would recommend them!

Posted: Mar 30, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
Ah, the straight spoke ones are legit

I'd be re-lacing my rear 1750 rim/spokes to the J-bend 150mm rear as I want to keep my Aerolite spokes :]

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024948
Mobile Version of Website