Help needed on on steerer and stem problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help needed on on steerer and stem problems
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
hi Guys and girls

basicly i bought some or dirt jam pros and i found out the steerer is to short and only comes half way up the stem but i maneged to get the headset and what not on and did they bolts up really tight and what i need to know is this safe to ride and jump orr is it well sketchy i think it is a bit sketch but if the bolts are done mega tight what can go wrong can i know the view of the people thanks alot

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
Did you buy the fork new or used? you NEED to have the steer tube come up at least 3/4 into the stem and past all pinch bolts on the stem. If the steer tube is lower than the pinch bolts it won't have a secure enough clamp to hold it and might cause issues. You may want to take it over to your local shop and show it to them. If you bought it new, you may need to take it back.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
oh the awnser to the thread....the bolt that screws on can snap and i witnessed it, it ended up in a broken jaw =s

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
No they were bought second hand and the stem is quite large would you suggest a smaller one?

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
would need to see a pic. a shorter stack height stem may work but you might still come up too short.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
well it comes just over half way so would you suggest a new fork? or would a smaller stem do it

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:56 Quote
you can try the stem first but honestly for proper stem/fork security, you need the steer tube to pass totally through the stem and have spacers above and below the stem. This will give the front end enough stiffness and security to handle anything. To me it sounds like you may need to sell that fork and get a new one and have it installed by a shop to make sure the steer is long enough (with spacers above and below the stem)

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 12:59 Quote
yeah ill get the new fork i think

FL
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
oneghost wrote:
you can try the stem first but honestly for proper stem/fork security, you need the steer tube to pass totally through the stem and have spacers above and below the stem. This will give the front end enough stiffness and security to handle anything. To me it sounds like you may need to sell that fork and get a new one and have it installed by a shop to make sure the steer is long enough (with spacers above and below the stem)

A new fork installed by a bike shop...? HAHA, your joking right?

And you dont need spacers above the stem at all.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 15:02 Quote
oneghost wrote:

the steerer tube does not need to pass through the stem totally....the steerer does need to come high enough so that there's about a 3mm gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer allowing proper compression....if there isn't u need to find a low stack stem...if u still won't have enough u need a new fork with the proper steerer tube length

<Deleted photo>

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
What stem are you using?

I suggest searching "dangerboy AK47" on the buysell. Really short stem without sacrificing strength

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 6:19 Quote
I got a small stem if you want it. Its off a BMX but will fit the 24.8?

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 7:06 Quote
Mtbdean wrote:

umm not sure id have to check and the gaps a bit more than 3 mm i think ill get a new forks would that be wise because it comes a little over half way and im running a tioga stem its quite chunky and id rather not take the risk

is this wise or am i just worrying to much?

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
jakebuckland wrote:
Mtbdean wrote:

umm not sure id have to check and the gaps a bit more than 3 mm i think ill get a new forks would that be wise because it comes a little over half way and im running a tioga stem its quite chunky and id rather not take the risk

is this wise or am i just worrying to much?

I would say that is wise. If its one thing you don't want slipping off, its your stem.

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 14:45 Quote
well you could get a new steerer tube pressed in but thats a sketchy thing to do and could end up costing more than your forks worth

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013792
Mobile Version of Website