Wheel truing

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
i need some help-i can get a wheel straight-but-it can bob up and down it does not run perfectly round...

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:16 Quote
its called dishing do you have a proper truing stand or are you just kinda wingin it?

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
tighten the spokes opposite to the bob, and loosen the spokes closest to the bob.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:23 Quote
AirForceOne wrote:
tighten the spokes opposite to the bob, and loosen the spokes closest to the bob.

never loosen spokes.

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
Really? why is that?

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
yea im pretty sure if your spokes are about to snap because you dont know what your doin and over tighten them that you should loosen them a tad so they dont break your stomach

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
Ive been truing my wheels for ages but I taught myself so... I just do what works and adjust them until they feel like they are tensioned properly to me.

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
ha me too every once and a while i take them into the shop and borrow there tension scale then finger test to get kinda the same tension feel and my wheels have been straight as an l since i can remember

Posted: Nov 25, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
Never used a tension scale... I know that if i do them stupidly tight then theyll break; I just true them now and then when I can be bothered to. I dont think that I'm that bad at it but I do weigh nearly 200lbs and i can be a bit of a hack at times so they kinda need it after a few weeks of abuse lol.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:56 Quote
carnell wrote:
AirForceOne wrote:

never loosen spokes.

There's a genious for you....

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:18 Quote
hope you don't mind me writing here-this was the best reply and answered all i needed to know -thanks everbody.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 11:23 Quote
carnell wrote:
AirForceOne wrote:

never loosen spokes.

Loosening spokes is perfectly fine. If you only tightened to get the rim to run true, you would eventually end up with a horrendously over tensioned wheel.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
carnell wrote:
AirForceOne wrote:

never loosen spokes.

What are you talking about? We loosen spokes all the time at our shop, other wise you have uneven tension throughout the wheel.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 23:06 Quote
ABout the never loosening spokes, From every mechanic i've been taught by i have been reminded never loosen spokes, if spokes are near the point of breaking from tension then of course you should loosen them it also means you have tightened them further than they should have been. Of course there are some times when you are required to loosen spokes becouse you cannot tighten the other ones in case of breaking, but as a rule you should never start or try to loosen spokes unless it is imparitive.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009615
Mobile Version of Website