The morzine-les gets thread

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
The morzine-les gets thread
Author Message
Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
I don't plan on foin anything wer I peddal ???????? I think the commencal is ideal but as said my concern is killing it tryin to stay with the rest of lads on big bikes just didn't wanna get ther n b overbooked sort of thing

Wer pritty much all sorted now just transfers insurance to sort now

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
roberts3389 wrote:
I don't plan on foin anything wer I peddal ???????? I think the commencal is ideal but as said my concern is killing it tryin to stay with the rest of lads on big bikes just didn't wanna get ther n b overbooked sort of thing

Wer pritty much all sorted now just transfers insurance to sort now
If you don't plan on pedalling then take a DH bike, it's the ideal place to use it.

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
I did this season on my enduro, I preferred it to last year which I did on a DH. So long as it's reasonably modern and has a solid build (brakes, suspension, wheels) you're better off on a 160/170ish bike. Your meta is perfect, you see loads of them there
I didn't do much pedalling but definitely had a lot more fun in the park, wasn't held back on the steeps and natural stuff.

Yellow jersey insurance were great when I got helicoptered from Pila. Don't go with dogtag as they don't cover this (4 minutes in a helicopter = €2k)

I've always used skiidy for transfers, never had a problem.

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 10:54 Quote
I've got transition tr500...I can switch it around..diff forks etc so it can be enduro or DH mode but tend to just have it full on DH in morzine

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
I've always used Alpy for transfers and have used dogtag for insurance but never claimed...best value is a annual one but make sure it covers extreme stuff...but I do full season plus some time in states

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 11:18 Quote
andydd wrote:
I've always used Alpy for transfers and have used dogtag for insurance but never claimed...best value is a annual one but make sure it covers extreme stuff...but I do full season plus some time in states
Wouldn't recommend Dogtag. Been using them for years but never claimed, this year I fell off and I wanted an x-ray, Dogtag wanted me to travel 85 miles to a hospital that they deal with, only had 1 star reviews and waiting time was 6-7 hrs. I had 3 clinics within walking distance but Dogtag would not authorise. Finally went to private clinic to have 3 xrays, cost me €125 which I knew I wouldn't get back but worth it. Cut my holiday short as I fractured my elbow in 2 places, had to drive home.
Will use yellow jersey next time.

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
andydd wrote:
I've always used Alpy for transfers and have used dogtag for insurance but never claimed...best value is a annual one but make sure it covers extreme stuff...but I do full season plus some time in states
Wouldn't recommend Dogtag. Been using them for years but never claimed, this year I fell off and I wanted an x-ray, Dogtag wanted me to travel 85 miles to a hospital that they deal with, only had 1 star reviews and waiting time was 6-7 hrs. I had 3 clinics within walking distance but Dogtag would not authorise. Finally went to private clinic to have 3 xrays, cost me €125 which I knew I wouldn't get back but worth it. Cut my holiday short as I fractured my elbow in 2 places, had to drive home.
Will use yellow jersey next time.

I usually go with a company called 'Topdog', they were good with me (Tore my ACL whilst skiing). They covered the rescue fees by providing me with a claims number which I could hand over and gave me back £275 of the £400 medical bills I had to pay (£125 excess) but I went with the 'bronze' cover as you never expect these things to happen and it seemed to cover enough medical bill wise. I didn't get my money back for a few months but that was partly my fault as I had never claimed before so didn't know how long it would take, I started a claim then left it a month before asking about it because I assumed it would take a while.

Bike wise, I went on my MK3 nomad last year and it was fine, only other experience I've had is being on a downhill bike. The enduro bike was more than capable.

Can also vouch for Alpy bus, cheap and reliable

TL;DR - Topdog are good from past experience, enduro bike will be fine

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 0:42 Quote
Snowcard for insurance, we had to use it big time few years ago, including air ambulance home. They were very good. Enduros can do it but I'd get half as much done as fatigue would set in. 2 weeks on DH bike with 3 rest days and I can't hold bars anymore...

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 9:13 Quote
You can be absolutely fine on 170 mm bike, however dh bike will allow you have more fun and less fatigue, there are plenty of stuff to squizz your balls even on dh bike

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
This is why I love my Rose Soul Fire. 180 front 190 rear, pedals well, takes hits like dh bike and amazing over the jumps.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
Hi guys, so been riding lets gets/morzine for the past few years, looking at trying somewhere different that will keep you interested for a weeks riding, Been looking at tignes but not sure on how good it is there for DH, I’ve ridden les 2 alps and wasn’t to impressed, thanks for any advance

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
OoB4K3RoO wrote:
Hi guys, so been riding lets gets/morzine for the past few years, looking at trying somewhere different that will keep you interested for a weeks riding, Been looking at tignes but not sure on how good it is there for DH, I’ve ridden les 2 alps and wasn’t to impressed, thanks for any advance
I spent a day in Tignes a few years ago, I loved it, not as busy as the PDS area, trails are more natural and lots of exploring especially if you over to to Val D'siere side (not sure I spelled that right). I didn't manage to go everywhere i wanted to as it was a 4 hour drive from Morzine. You will need a lift pass, it was free and you got it from the tourist office. It is a bit higher in the mountains so it was a bit cooler than Morzine (about 5-10 degrees lower) If it wasn't so far away from Morzine I would definitely go again.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
Riding a uplift system only ever take the dh bike, faster more fun dont regret it Wink .. Snowcard +1

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 23:58 Quote
OoB4K3RoO wrote:
Hi guys, so been riding lets gets/morzine for the past few years, looking at trying somewhere different that will keep you interested for a weeks riding, Been looking at tignes but not sure on how good it is there for DH, I’ve ridden les 2 alps and wasn’t to impressed, thanks for any advance

yup, Tignes is defo worth a look. Different to Morzine etc in my opinion, more open, more rocks, less trees. Plenty to ride.

I went years ago and they had something like a 13km green route! great for the family, then plenty of blue, red and black runs!

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
Hi guys went to morzine last year and there's still loads I haven't done! Going again this year and read about the Tour de Plateau de Loex in les gets. Is this worth doing? Looks a bit out of the way so don't want to pedal over and it not be worth it? On a nomad so don't mind pedalling for a decent track!
Thanks


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018592
Mobile Version of Website