The morzine-les gets thread

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
The morzine-les gets thread
Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
theriches09 wrote:
SkiidyGonzales with MTBBEDS discount code is €70 max return, can be down to €58 return if you have 6 plus people in your group.

I've booked it for next year (just to get as many payments done and dusted) and it came to 82 euros with discount, still seems a fair price to me

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
I'm still taking the van down to the Alps, it's so much easier.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
Booked up for July boys, 3rd time!

I've been trying to explore for some enduro type runs. Love all the bikepark stuff but I don't mind a decent pedal with some good single track/natural stuff. Any recommendations on some routes or a good guide to grab?

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
ChrisTunn wrote:

I've been trying to explore for some enduro type runs. Love all the bikepark stuff but I don't mind a decent pedal with some good single track/natural stuff. Any recommendations on some routes or a good guide to grab?

Grab the official map..that will show the whole passportes route...a decent trek is to go up super morzine/zore..follow to lindarets..then up to mossettes n do the long route down (sometimes some snow still up there), trail leads down n eventually joins up with Chatel return route..or at top of mossets you can go further afield to Le crossets, champery, morgin etc....there are other unmapped routes in that area u can find on Strava/trail forks or local guide.

You can also follow the river up towards nyon waterfall n beyond or other direction towards st Jean du Alps.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 19:50 Quote
andydd wrote:
ChrisTunn wrote:

Grab the official map..that will show the whole passportes route...a decent trek is to go up super morzine/zore..follow to lindarets..then up to mossettes n do the long route down (sometimes some snow still up there), trail leads down n eventually joins up with Chatel return route..or at top of mossets you can go further afield to Le crossets, champery, morgin etc....there are other unmapped routes in that area u can find on Strava/trail forks or local guide.

You can also follow the river up towards nyon waterfall n beyond or other direction towards st Jean du Alps.

From the top of the Mossets the Grande Conche is a really cool rocky more oldschool style trail, close to a 600m vertical descent that's totally worth checking out.

But the maps..... I half wonder if the reason the french didn't end up with a bigger empire is that they kept getting lost as their maps were so shit!
Seriously the Portes maps are terrible! (and the winter skiing ones are even worse I'm told).

Side note has anyone stayed at St Jean Du Aulps?
What's it like to ride from there?
Is it best to head up to the Super morzine or head left at Montriond and up to Ardent?
Looks like I'm heading back up there in August for 3 weeks and have a place at SJD.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 2:25 Quote
I stayed there one year with wife n kids, it's a long way down valley. We drove up and it was good 10 mins in car. Steep climb up too to Montriond village. Its a right bit up to Ardent lift too but if for Chatel or Switzerland might work as you'll miss the morning super Morzine lift queues.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
Yeah I’ve done the run in to Lindarets and it’s pretty good, but the Mosettes lift was closed last time.

Keen on the Grand Conche, the videos look amazing.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
ChrisTunn wrote:
Yeah I’ve done the run in to Lindarets and it’s pretty good, but the Mosettes lift was closed last time.

Grand Conche (or Swiss National as others call it) is mint. Feels like proper exposed Alpine switchbacks at the top and then speed picks up further down.
Best run in that area though is the Crosets red. It's jumpy and flowy with a couple of rooty bits thrown in the mix. I loved it. Best part is where you can gap over a berm. Makes you feel pro without needing much skill Fab lol

Me and the lads I ride with are booked in for first week of August. Just got a new DH bike too so I'm super buzzing!

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
Not really advisable to stay in SJD it's a bit of a trek..I've done a couple of rides to/from there and occasionally pop to the big Carrefour but wouldn't want to do it everyday.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 1:13 Quote
andydd wrote:
Not really advisable to stay in SJD it's a bit of a trek..I've done a couple of rides to/from there and occasionally pop to the big Carrefour but wouldn't want to do it everyday.

Yep but free accom is free accom, and to be honest I'm used to a 10km pedal to the trailhead (I'll be taking an Enduro bike not a DH rig).

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 1:32 Quote
haroman666 wrote:
ChrisTunn wrote:

Grand Conche (or Swiss National as others call it) is mint. Feels like proper exposed Alpine switchbacks at the top and then speed picks up further down.
Best run in that area though is the Crosets red. It's jumpy and flowy with a couple of rooty bits thrown in the mix. I loved it. Best part is where you can gap over a berm. Makes you feel pro without needing much skill Fab lol

Me and the lads I ride with are booked in for first week of August. Just got a new DH bike too so I'm super buzzing!

Fav trails in 2019 up there for me were;
Morzine Noir on Pleney & the super fun pirate trails off the side of it!!!!!
Poridge below the Zore lift
Grande Conche
Panorama into serpentine and then sometimes either Bike Patrol or Che Nada

The Coupe du Monde was also pretty high up on the list of faves

I'll be getting up there from August 9th until the 29th this year.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
mudcycles wrote:
andydd wrote:

Yep but free accom is free accom, and to be honest I'm used to a 10km pedal to the trailhead (I'll be taking an Enduro bike not a DH rig).
Just check the elevation change as it's all uphill, riding up beside river to swimming pool to get lift up to chairlift would be best, would forget about ardent as some steep climbs up to it. You be done before you start.. going home be feet on bars the whole way mind you lol

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
bat-fastard wrote:
mudcycles wrote:
andydd wrote:

Just check the elevation change as it's all uphill, riding up beside river to swimming pool to get lift up to chairlift would be best, would forget about ardent as some steep climbs up to it. You be done before you start.. going home be feet on bars the whole way mind you lol

Very true..I've done the ride down following the river..it's not bad.....certainly get you fit ????

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
SJD wouldn't be ideal, but it's only 10-15 minutes into morzine along the river at the same time. Path comes right out at the bottom of the Super morzine elavator.

Also heard that the lift was running in SJD last summer and there was a red run underneath but I can't say for sure as I didn't check it out.

I might be wrong but does the ardent lift run during the summer? Also means pedaling upto it from montriond.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 2:02 Quote
Ardent lift usually doesn't run but was talk of it running this year to take traffic away from goat village.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007263
Mobile Version of Website