Can I replace a 1.5 Steerer tube with a 1 1/8th?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can I replace a 1.5 Steerer tube with a 1 1/8th?
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 8:53 Quote
Hi guys,
First of all I'd like to apologise if this has already been answered, but I have had a look and could'nt see another.
Now, onto the business, I have a 2007 cove g-spot which has a 1 1/8th headtube. And have been offered a swap for my 888 with a pair of 2007 66rc2. These particular forks have a 1.5 steerer tube, and want to know if it is possible to change the steerer on the 66 to a 1 1/8th tube so i can fit them on my frame....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
edit: Sorry the steerer, I re-read it (me = idiot), you can but it'll have to go to marz for proper fitting. They will most likely replace the steer, crown and stanchions. Only because it's the easiest thing to do. Not a cheap route to go.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
edit: Sorry the steerer, I re-read it (me = idiot), you can but it'll have to go to marz for proper fitting. They will most likely replace the steer, crown and stanchions. Only because it's the easiest thing to do. Not a cheap route to go.

I agree the only way to do that, that i know of is to replace the crown/stantion assembly. Unless they are the 07 66 in witch case you can just change the bolt on crown.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:04 Quote
They are 2007, so this is possible??
Thanks for your help by the way!

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
BobEvans wrote:
They are 2007, so this is possible??
Thanks for your help by the way!

Yes i don't see why not, the 07 were made with bolt on crown for quick replacement in mind.

Im not sure where you would get one from for a 66, have a look on CRC if not then drop marzocchi a e-mail ask them were to get one from. Or ask you LBS to get one in for you.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:40 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=487

There you go buddy thats what you will need, but they dont have one for a 66, so just get one that has the same mm stantion as the 66, or contact LBS or Marzocchi

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
yeh i was looking at that, but then when i went to have a look at the pics of 66 i couldnt see that they are bolt on crowns....
Are they definatly bolt on??
Cheers

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:46 Quote
webber123 wrote:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=487

There you go buddy thats what you will need, but they dont have one for a 66, so just get one that has the same mm stantion as the 66, or contact LBS or Marzocchi
are you stupid?
those are not strong enough for a 66
those are for double crowns so need the top crown to create the strength

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
He didnt mean THEM, he meant thats the sort of thing im going to need, and that it is possible to buy them....
although, i've just read that 07 66 are not bolt on crown.....damn.....so new stantions crown and the lot ???

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:21 Quote
BobEvans wrote:
He didnt mean THEM, he meant thats the sort of thing im going to need, and that it is possible to buy them....
although, i've just read that 07 66 are not bolt on crown.....damn.....so new stantions crown and the lot ???

Really?im sure the whole range of 07 forks were bolt on

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
Dam man your right:/ sorry about that.

So ye your other option is a new stantion/crown assembly, they are not that expensive i think a MAX of about £100, but you can proberly pic some up of e-bay for cheap.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
ive just had a look and z1's were. but not 66's Frown
i think it will be a case of new crown and stantions...
or just not swap at all

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:27 Quote
posted at the same time sorry....yeh, i think i'll have a look. What about the adjusters etc....I'm shit with forks....

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:35 Quote
BobEvans wrote:
posted at the same time sorry....yeh, i think i'll have a look. What about the adjusters etc....I'm shit with forks....

once you have the forks, then all you will need is a new stantion/crown assembaly, the ajusters will all fit because the crown will be exsact same exsept for the steerer.

Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
If you can get a new headtube, headset, steerer tube and forks crowns then yes.

But it might come to like $4000 including labour and getting your headtube welds burned out and a smaller headtube re-welded inplace.

my bad - you said 1 1/4 down to 1 1/8, not the other way round.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012190
Mobile Version of Website