Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 at 22:19 Quote
Any and all input towards the following bikes: Specialized Enduro SL Expert, Giant Reign X2 or Trek Remedy 8. They are all roughly in the same category both price wise and weight wise. Other constructive suggestions are welcome too.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 at 1:58 Quote
oh my god, i had to make this exact choice two months ago-my m8 has the reign and its great, but its basically a downhill/heavy duty all-mountain bike and he thinks its pretty heavy, i've never ridden the enduro but a guy at a bike shop told me it wasn't as great as everyone rates it but i bought the remedy 8 and i swear to god i've never once thought about how good a decision it was, its light (not sure exactly how much) comes with really good quality kit and can be chucked around and used literally anywhere and it cimbs really well as well.
hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
Never rode an enduro or reign, but the remedy pedals great, almost as good as the lighter ex8, it seems to hide the extra pounds well on the trail..

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 0:40 Quote
alexthealmighty wrote:
oh my god, i had to make this exact choice two months ago-my m8 has the reign and its great, but its basically a downhill/heavy duty all-mountain bike and he thinks its pretty heavy, i've never ridden the enduro but a guy at a bike shop told me it wasn't as great as everyone rates it but i bought the remedy 8 and i swear to god i've never once thought about how good a decision it was, its light (not sure exactly how much) comes with really good quality kit and can be chucked around and used literally anywhere and it cimbs really well as well.
hope this helps.

Interesting comparison. I looked at a Remedy 8 and 7, however I have to say that my heart is set on the Enduro (Comp) for now. The Reign X0 was heavy (about 34 lbs), the Remedy seems like a great bike, however I thought the value could be better, and they're hard to track down used. It weight about 30 pounds. The Enduro, when I tried the suspension, was SUPER plush (felt expensive) and even with the double crowned fork it weighed under 30 pounds. The part spec, even on the comp, is great as well. Both the Remedy and Enduro are great bikes, and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
i have a reign and love it it is a reign 3 06 but i have a 55 ETA on it now and it is great even with my tora on it i took it off 5'ers and it was fine. i do have to say my opinion is with never riding the other two hard (i have ridden both in a parking lot lol)
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/501/medium/bike_001.jpg

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 1:24 Quote
Well with my experience in the bicycle industry, id go with the specialized enduro or the less expencive specialized pitch as they are best value for money,pedal the best,look the best,and have the best warrenty both frame and suspension..

p.s do not buy a 07 enduro sl , they did have somewhat a surplus of problems with the fork, all owners with this 07 fork were replaced with a 08 internal which has been quite great.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 13:51 Quote
What do you think of a Scott Ransom 40. Interesting, although somewhat heavier and slightly more expensive. Also, the shock (Scott Equalizer) is a little different that anything I've seen. Anyway, it's been an interesting thread, and I'd like to see where it continues.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
I ride an 09' Reign and a buddy I ride with has an Enduro (not sure of the year), and we both love it. The Reign has been awesome for me, plush suspension and flickable in the air. It pedals pretty freaking awesome as well. I'm not much of a xc rider but when I have to it rides a lot better than my big hit did. All in all I think it comes down to what you like and what suites your price range. They are all awesome bikes.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 11:08 Quote
Enduro, thats what im getting next anyhow. Number 1 riding buddy had a reign and wasnt too impressed with it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
ha.. if i didn't see this post I would have started it myself!

I haven't ridden any of the bikes mentioned, but I'll be picking up an AM bike for the girlfriend sometime over the winter. I was honing in on the Trek and the Specialized.. i'd forgotten about the Giant, but i'll check it out too. I'm leaning towards the Specialized because a) i prefer the part spec b) i have a good dealer c) i have a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and love it. The trek looks beauty though.

If you wanted to consider a single pivot, the Santa Cruz Heckler is a tempting option and super versatile.

I'm anxious to do some test rides and to hear more from the folks here.. except i'm sure everyone will love their own ride!!

Most importantly, I'm even more anxious that my girlfriend's AM bike will probably be easily set-up for a nice 4X/jump/play bike for me tup

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 23:00 Quote
if you have the money go for a nomad.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 23:32 Quote
reign x's are rad except for the stroker ryde's on the X2, worst brake going, zero modulation......
i really like the remedy though, nice looking bike... can be built up very light...
different catagories though, a reign would be more similar to a remedy than a reign x. the 09 reign has slightly different geometry (more slack) and is lighter than the 08. I've heard from people that the 08 reign is more of a cross country bike. a reign x is more of a freeride bike. I had one and i would get one again for sure. but, again, i am drawn to the remedy... so many possibilities to build a really light all mountain bike

Posted: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
matthew10 wrote:

Nomad is definately a strong choice in this range, but it's also definately a jump in price. I have two friends in love with their nomads... everything from pure XC to ripping the machine built trails at Silverstar/Whistler.

Another option is the Norco 6 (i think that's the model).. one guy I ride with has a top model (XTR/XO/Crossmax SX) and it is sweet for sure... uses the FSR linkage.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
w-e-w wrote:
matthew10 wrote:

Nomad is definately a strong choice in this range, but it's also definately a jump in price. I have two friends in love with their nomads... everything from pure XC to ripping the machine built trails at Silverstar/Whistler.

Another option is the Norco 6 (i think that's the model).. one guy I ride with has a top model (XTR/XO/Crossmax SX) and it is sweet for sure... uses the FSR linkage.

The Santa Cruz Nomad, as well as the Blur LT and Heckler, for that matter, are all good bikes. However, they become very expensive once you build them up with parts that are comparable to the other mentioned bikes, and while they may be beautiful bikes, all the dealers who sell SC (along with other bikes, of course) say that they sell them because people come looking for a Santa Cruz with nothing else in mind. They say that they perform well, but for what it's worth, look at something else.

Posted: Dec 15, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
I was thinkin along the lines of the enduro and the reign. My mate has a reign and loves it. He even sold his dh rig as he has more fun on the reign. My new reign frame will be here on thursday so i will let you know how i get on with it..

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022694
Mobile Version of Website