Is the Shimano XTR M965 good for downhilling?

PB Forum :: Downhill
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
wt do u guys think?

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 7:34 Quote
which part? xtr derailleur? cranks? etc?

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 7:55 Quote
tschan0120 wrote:
brake
no dont get, a xtr brake for downhill, it has not power enough.
I yo want shimano, then get the saint, 4 pistons, so it has much power has a longer living time. other then look on Avid, Formula and Hope.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
depends how light he is,if your a skinny fella then it will work no worries,if your a bigger fella then look at a 4 pot.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
you are prolly better off with avids in my opinion...
elixir or codes...

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
then which model of hope is good for downhill?

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
marquis wrote:
depends how light he is,if your a skinny fella then it will work no worries,if your a bigger fella then look at a 4 pot.
i was ridding to XTR brakes 2 or 3 weaks ago, on a sample-bike, in the bikeshop where i work, and they were so soft, and did not have much power.
on a 4 piston brake the brake pats and oil do not get as hot, and better for downhill, where you ofcause brake a lot..

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 8:10 Quote
I use the XTR for my bikes, but I am lightweight, and I am more of an XC geek. I would say no for DH, I would go with the Saint, or the Hopes. I hear a lot of good things about the Hopes, and Shimano is always reliable. The 4 piston is better for the DH , but stay away from the Avids. Every one of my friends who are bike techs, say they are shyte. The rotors are easily bent, and always needing adjustment. The clearance inside the caliper is so minute, that they rub all the time and the springs are weak and are easily damaged. Go with Hopes or Saint.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 8:24 Quote
which model of Hope's brake is better for downhilling?

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
I think you can use most breaks for DH. In my opinion you should try to keep breaking to the very minimum as the point of DH is to reach the bottom as fast as possible. My HFX 9 brakes are naff, yet i have no intention of changing them because though they lack the stopping power, i try to avoid braking (i also have my brakes set to slow my wheels not lock).
So what im trying to say is that if you really whant to the XTR brakes are usable, but there are certainly MILES better alternatives you could buy. And they will proberbly over-heat on heavy runs.

Jp

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
I have ridden the XTR brakes for the past 2 years on my DH bike. They work great they have awesome lever feel and plenty of power. I use 8" up front and a 6" on the rear. Im 175 lbs. No over heating issues. I ride Whistler all day long.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 11:28 Quote
tschan0120 wrote:
which model of Hope's brake is better for downhilling?
im running m4's there brilliant, but you can get m6's or v2's all have pleantly of power, m6 beeing most powerful and m4/v2 about the same

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 11:35 Quote
Really don't go with XTR i rode them for xc and hated them. I now have avid juicy 7's and they are so good.

As for your question hope moto brakes would be good.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010832
Mobile Version of Website