Mechanic book

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanic book
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 6:59 Quote
i was looking to do some more repairs at home and was just wondering if there were any books that would teach me how to do it Smile

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance - worked for me!!

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:23 Quote
My choise:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26894

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
The Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair is pretty extensive, and they just came out with a new edition. Zinn is good too.

what are you looking to do?

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:27 Quote
i taught myself how to do everything except bleed brakes and lace wheels

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
corey-dh wrote:

Lacing wheels is an art. Relatively simple procedure behind it, but very difficult to master. Anybody can lace a rim, but will it hold up well? that's the crazy hard part. I can't do it...

Bleeding brakes is actually pretty easy, pick up a bleed kit for your particular brake, and they usually come with instructions. if not, the brake manufacturers usually provide a good guide to bleeding, I know that Sram does for sure, as I've used it, but I imagine the rest do as well.

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
phobospwns wrote:
corey-dh wrote:

Lacing wheels is an art. Relatively simple procedure behind it, but very difficult to master. Anybody can lace a rim, but will it hold up well? that's the crazy hard part. I can't do it...

Bleeding brakes is actually pretty easy, pick up a bleed kit for your particular brake, and they usually come with instructions. if not, the brake manufacturers usually provide a good guide to bleeding, I know that Sram does for sure, as I've used it, but I imagine the rest do as well.
ya i can lace a wheel now just i bring it to my lbs to true it..
i had a friend walk me through bleeding brakes and it was easier than i thought..but i think it's one of the only things i follow the instructions for

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 15:44 Quote

This is the best website. EVER!

Aside from that, the park tool book is pretty good. If I had the money I'd get myself one.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 5:40 Quote
phobospwns wrote:
The Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair is pretty extensive, and they just came out with a new edition. Zinn is good too.

what are you looking to do?

pretty much everything:P

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 14:34 Quote
I prefer Mountain Bike Maintenance: The Illustrated Manual.

You can find it at Amazon and you can even look inside the book and see actual pages. I like it because it is pretty thorough, and all of the pictures and photographs of actual parts, not illustrations (though they are used when needed.)

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
Barnett's manual is pretty decent as well.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
the big blue park tool book or the haynes cycle maintainance book . or enrol on a course cytec are the best and cycle shops recognise there standard so if you wish to work in the industry it will be easier with this .

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008910
Mobile Version of Website