What's the worst thing that can happen if you put your bike into the water?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What's the worst thing that can happen if you put your bike into the water?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:32 Quote
I was thinking of jumping my p.2 into the water to learn flips and shit but will affect the bike performance iin the future. Whats the worst thing that can happen?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:36 Quote
i heard it can be bad for the forks... but im not sure...

otherwise make sure you dry everything properly... if not you get rust...

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
it will wash out all the grease in your wheel bearings. you would then need a new bearings unless greased immediatly

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
water in the tires, can leek inside your frame , lets just say i can get into places you dont want it to

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
Buy a really cheap bike to do it on instead, I can't imagine submersing a bike in water for any length of time will be good.

Things will rust, chain, bolts, bearings, etc etc

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
me and my buddies use crap-cycles to do water jumps.. such as supercycles
rather have that busted than my good bike.. plus if you can do things on a 50 lb. super cycle into water, you can easily do it on your 30lb dj bike

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
just raid dumps etc till you get a load of sofa cushions and dig a big ass pit

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:43 Quote
so pretty much just get a shitty bike and try it?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:54 Quote
angus05 wrote:
it will wash out all the grease in your wheel bearings. you would then need a new bearings unless greased immediatly
grease is waterproof

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
bud22 wrote:
I was thinking of jumping my p.2 into the water to learn flips and shit but will affect the bike performance iin the future. Whats the worst thing that can happen?

worst that can happen?? shark attack IMO

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
i would jump into a lake not a ocean

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 11:07 Quote
bud22 wrote:
i would jump into a lake not a ocean

lake shark duh

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
if you use a cheap beater bike for lake / swimming pool / whatever water jumping..it will handle differently to your DJ bike

you probably won't do too much damage to your DJ bike if you're going jumping into a swimming pool or lake...certainly not as much damage as jetwashing your bike which will actually push water past your hub, bottom bracket and suspension fork / shock seals and start flushing grease out...

if you are jumping into water on your only bike, make sure you leave it somewhere warm and dry after your session, and keep an eye on it...if you notice it starts squeaking then get it sorted by a competent mechanic

most bikes have gas-ports holes on the frame tubing to allow welding gases to escape during manufacturing of the bike frame, these will normally allow water to drain out of the frame, if its an alloy frame then no problem as aluminium alloy does not really corrode (*salts can develop) but 4130 cromoly steel frames do not enjoy "water treatment"!!

if you are not a pro rider or wealthy, chances are you won't have a "spare" bike for water trickery and so you need to keep your bike healthy, give you local mechanic some beer when you drop your bike in for a "post-water" service Wink

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 16:08 Quote
lolfrizlolcake wrote:
grease is waterproof

Have you ever got grease on your hands? Is it permanently there?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010667
Mobile Version of Website