What's the worst thing that can happen if you put your bike into the water?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What's the worst thing that can happen if you put your bike into the water?
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
Just the other day, me and some mates went around to the council pickup thing and got a couple of cheap bikes that people were throwing out. We fixed them up and got them going and built a jump into my dam, and it was mad fun hers the link for some of the dumb stuff we did:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2762926/#top

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2762876/#top

these were probably the weirdest photos. So i reckon its heaps worth just doing it for fun, not nessecarily for training

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
photo

heres your pic

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
photo

and the other one

FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 6:10 Quote
If you dont attach something to make it float then it sinks!

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
lolfrizlolcake wrote:
angus05 wrote:
it will wash out all the grease in your wheel bearings. you would then need a new bearings unless greased immediatly
grease is waterproof

yeah... against rain and whatever. completly submersing it is a bit different. and not all grease is waterproof

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 16:05 Quote
rickrolled wrote:
photo

and the other one

OMG he's riding on the water!!!!11

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
but on the topic of water jumping;
as long as you have maintained your bike properly and its all greased up you should be good to go. you could always leave your bike and nice warm room to dry afterwards.

I think you can get water proofing from your LBS as well.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 19:58 Quote
You will not be doing it any favours. You will have more problems than if you didn't. Plain and simple. You would have to rip the whole bike down and regrease everything, what a pain. It can be done but you're better off getting some old sled that you don't have to worry about.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 20:16 Quote
Filrox wrote:
me and my buddies use crap-cycles to do water jumps.. such as supercycles
rather have that busted than my good bike.. plus if you can do things on a 50 lb. super cycle into water, you can easily do it on your 30lb dj bike

i heard that the huffy sassy works very nicely for jumping into lakes too

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
[Quote="rossgirvan"]
lolfrizlolcake wrote:
grease is waterproof

you have to use a cloth

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
photo

sharks man. they'll eat your bike. happens in australia all the time.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
If your bike is in cromoly don't worry it won't get rusty. Exept, if u jump ur bike into the lake, the water might penetrate in your fork and F*** totally up(sorry for the expression)... Be careful.. Also, the chain should be washed and re-oiled after, you should dry up your discs and check out the tubing and cables because it could F*** your brakes.. and that would suck.. so thats pretty much what I think.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:38 Quote
me and my friends built a jump into a lake nearby and we just ride our dj bikes. when you're done, take your tires off cause there will be water in there and it could damage your rims if it stays in there. like the other guy said theres holes in your frame for water to drain out. when you get home, take your bike INSIDE. if you've got a decent garage it should be good, sheds usually not good enough. you want it in the warmest/dryest place you can get it. oil up your chain before your next ride Smile

I've had at least 3 good full-day sessions jumping into the lake and I haven't had a single problem with my bike from it. I would not suggest salt water.

someone said tie something to it to float it..dont bother theres air in your tires and your frame wont FILL with water. your bike will float. my p3 is aluminum and it floats flat on its side. my buddy's got a cro-mo frame and I guess its a little less bouyant so it floats upside down, the tires stay on the surface though.

only other suggestion is wear your gear. the water's softer than dirt but your bike's still just as hard if you land on it Smile

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
DHR4C3R wrote:
If your bike is in cromoly don't worry it won't get rusty. Exept, if u jump ur bike into the lake, the water might penetrate in your fork and F*** totally up(sorry for the expression)... Be careful.. Also, the chain should be washed and re-oiled after, you should dry up your discs and check out the tubing and cables because it could F*** your brakes.. and that would suck.. so thats pretty much what I think.

if you're running hydro's you should be perfectly fine. its a sealed unit from lever to caliper your fluid cant get out, water cant get in.

mechs may have some troubles from water getting into the housing and rusting out your cables

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018595
Mobile Version of Website