How to strip, raw, paint, and coat your bike!

PB Forum :: Tutorials
How to strip, raw, paint, and coat your bike!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 17:57 Quote
Well. Took some pictures when I recently did my bike. All the pictures will have a caption under them. Follow the caption to know what to do!

photo

First thing's first. Get your idea. Next, buy the paint and stripper for it. Clear coat is advised, but optional. It's best to settle with a well known company, as they're well known for a reason.

photo

Make sure you have the tools for the job. You've gotta be able to take the bike apart to get it ready. Buy tools where needed.

photo

Get your bike prepped. This includes removing all the parts. Take it all off. Protip, put music on.

photo

Once it's stripped, clean it down. Any dirt or stickers on it should be removed now.

photo

Yet again, take all the stickers off.

photo

Pour your stripped into an easily accessed container, and get your brushes ready. Put what you're stripping on some cardboard. Start applying!

photo

This is where the fun starts. After 3/4 or more is off, you'll need to start scraping, and sandpapering the rest off. Get to work, and don't be afraid to put some elbow grease into it.

photo

This is the frusterating part. Get yourself some steel wool, and start to get rid of anything on the welds. It'll take some time, so keep at it.

photo

Relax and listen to some music, or go chill for a bit. You've done a lot.

photo

Size it up. This is where you'll get your first real glimpse of how it'll all look later on. Savor the moment, you've earned it.

photo

Start to paint. Many layers, but thin layers. Keep at it, and make sure not to pause, as you'll start to drip. Same deal for the clear coat.

photo

Give it time to dry. Go watch a movie, get some food, or do whatever you do. Don't be impatient, as it'll only hurt later.

photo

Put the bike together tenderly. Don't wanna scratch it. Guess what? You're done! Put the bike up for a pose, and show it to the world!

Mod
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
When did you find the rat? Was that in the chilling or listening to music stage?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
Looks REALLY good. Gives me some ideas for my dj bike.

thank you! ive been nedding to know how to do this

and guess what im doing this week..

I want to paint, but Specialized doesn't want me to. Frown

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
When did you find the rat? Was that in the chilling or listening to music stage?

Chillin' stage.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
What's the rubber mallet for?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
thanks sherb' i've gotta do that to my soon sunday frame the guy did a crappy paint job!
and what color would be sick for it and what year decals and model from the year 07-09 what decals and color i unno yet?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
At some point I might use this, but for now I'm happy with my bike looking close to stock. Good how-to and your pedaling tool looks prime.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
unicornsteak wrote:

Spindle work. Takes it out, puts it in.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
sherbet wrote:
unicornsteak wrote:

I just put my other crank arm in my helmet and use that.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
sherbet wrote:
unicornsteak wrote:

Ah. Mine must be different. I take the non-drive side crank arm off, take off the lock nuts and whatever else is there before the bearings and I can slide my spindle right out. Actually I think mine is attached to my other crank arm, but I haven't tried to take it off either.

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
unicornsteak wrote:
sherbet wrote:
unicornsteak wrote:

Ah. Mine must be different. I take the non-drive side crank arm off, take off the lock nuts and whatever else is there before the bearings and I can slide my spindle right out. Actually I think mine is attached to my other crank arm, but I haven't tried to take it off either.

My tolerances are too tight to do that.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018174
Mobile Version of Website