Year Round Training program.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Year Round Training program.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 at 22:34 Quote
Keeping your body in shape is one of the major aspects in riding fast, safely and wining races, Hopefully the info i have listed here will help you out with your training and racing.

This is what my winter workouts are, Ill post my weekly workout plan.

Core: Medicine Ball Woodchoppers, Exercise Ball Abdominal Russian Twists, Twisting Crunches, Ball Crunches, Bridge, Side Bridge, High to Low Woodchoppers, Ball Rollout, Pelvic Thrust, V-up, Jack knife, Snatch, Knee Crunches. Yoga works great too.

Legs: Calf Raises, Straight Leg Deadlifts, Deadlifts, Exercise Ball Leg Lifts, Squats, Lunges, Leg press, Push Press, step ups.

Back: Straight Arm Pulldowns, Good Mornings, Back Hyperextentions, Back Extensions, Ball Back Hyperextensions (Lower Back), Exercise Ball Lower Back Extensions

Pectoralis Major: Medicine Ball Chest Pushups, Upward Cable Crossovers, Cable Crossovers, Incline Flyes, Decline Flyes, close grip bench press.

Arms: Close Grip Pulldowns, Bent-over Barbell Rows, One Arm Row, T-bar row, Lat Pulldown, Seated Row, Dumbell Flys Dips, Incline Dumbbell Press, Wrist Curls, Tricep Pulldowns, Tricep Kickback, Overhead Tricep Extentions

Glutes: Clean and Jerk, Jump squats, Calisthenics Elbow Instep Lunge, Wide stance squats.

Shoulder: Wall Push Up, Upright Row, Shoulder / Deltoid Extensions, and rotator cuff exorcises.

Also a huge aspect in riding that most people overlook is our eyes. There are different types of exercises for the improvement of different perception skill and clear vision of the eyes. Some of the important types of eye exercises are listed below.

Palming

To rest and relax your eyes, sit comfortably in front of a table, resting your elbows on a stack of cushions high enough to bring your palms easily to your eyes without stooping forward or looking up. Close your eyes and cover them with your cupped palms to exclude light, avoiding pressure on the sockets. Breathe slowly and evenly, relaxing and imagining deep blackness. Begin by doing this for 10 minutes, two or three times a day.

Swinging
Relax and keep the eyes mobile. Stand up and focus on a distant point, swaying gently from side to side. Repeat 100 times daily, blinking as you sway. Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

Color Day
You may be asked to have a ‘color day'. Choose a color and look out for it throughout the day. When you see it, be aware of the color rather than the form.

See Clearly Method
The See Clearly Method is another popular series of exercises and training to help with vision correction. Similarly to the Bates' method, you are required to do 30 minutes of eye exercises a day to strengthen and enhance the flexibility of the eye's muscles.

Some other simple eye exercise methods are

1. Close your eyes tightly for 3-5 seconds, then open them for 3-5 seconds. Repeat this 7 or 8 times.
2. Close your eyes and massage them with circular movements of your fingers for 1-2 minutes. Make sure you press very lightly; otherwise, you could hurt your eyes.
3. Press three fingers of each hand against your upper eyelids, and hold them there for 1-2 seconds, then release. Repeat 5 times.
4. Sit and relax. Roll your eyes clockwise, then counter-clockwise. Repeat 5 times, and blink in between each time.
5. Sit about 6 inches (200 mm) from the window. Make a mark on the glass at your eye level (a small sticker, black or red, would be perfect). Look through this mark and focus on something far away for 10-15 seconds; then focus on the mark again.
6. Hold a pencil in front of you at arm's length. Move your arm slowly to your nose, and follow the pencil with your eyes until you can keep it in focus. Repeat 10 times.
7. Look in front of you at the opposite wall and pretend that you are writing with your eyes, without turning your head. It may seem difficult at first, but with a bit of practice it is really fun. The bigger the letters, the better the effect.
8. Imagine that you are standing in front of a really big clock. Look at the middle of the clock. Then look at any hour mark, without turning your head. Look back at the center. Then look at another hour mark. Do this at least 12 times. You can also do this exercise with your eyes closed.
9. Focus on a distant object (over 150 feet or 50 m away) for several seconds and slowly refocus your eyes on a nearby object (less than 30 feet or 10 m away) that's in the same direction. Focus for several seconds and go back to the distant object. Do this 5 times.
10. Focus on an object in the distance (as far as possible) with a low contrasting background. Do this for a few minutes every half hour or so. This does not improve your vision, nor does any other technique. It can, however, maintain your best eyesight level during the day and prevent significant further vision deterioration

Day 1
Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
Day 2
Rest or Cardio (25-45 min)
Day 3
Legs, Lower Back and Abs
Day 4
Day 5
Back, Traps and Biceps
Day 6
Day 7
Rest

I try to do cardio a minimum of 2 times a week and 3 most. For cardio i usually swim, run or hop on my stationary.

Also for supplements I am taking,

CELL FX - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3927.html
Vitamin C - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product4964.html
Vitamin E - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3813.html
Vitamin D - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3860.html
Liv52 (livercare) - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product4626.html
EGCG (green tea extract) - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product4246.html
BCAA - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product4958.html
Whey Isolate - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3512.html

Those are also the same products i use.

For food, Pre race, High Protein High Carb is always good, Go pretty low for sugar and go even lower on salt, preferably the day of and the day previous. Also Dont eat bad carbs,

Whole wheat pastas, grains and legumes (including, peas, peanuts, soy bean)are good, also a good protein are Chicken breast, Turkey, Salmon, Tuna, Egg whites. Also stock up on liquids, drink lots of water at the race and before. KEEP YOURSELF HYDRATED!!!! Drink a minimum of 2L of water per day. The brain is 77% water and is surrounded in liquid, so keep hydrated or your reaction timing will drop dramatically.

For the race day, IF YOU CAN, bring your stationary, or hook your bike up to a trainer and pedal lightly, keep your legs moving. If you cannot, pedal your bike around the base in between runs.

Follow a good diet and follow a strict workout/training program. also the one thing all racers shouldn't forget. RIDE YOUR BIKE.

This is all you should need to know for getting your body ready for racing and in shape for the next season.

Note: Before a race stretch so you do not pull something or injure yourself mid race.

(i also posted this in the DH 4x forum)

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 1:50 Quote
Some good healthy meals for pre-race are
(this will go to the day before the race till after race snack)

WHEN SEASONING LOOK FOR LESS SODIUM

Day 1

Breakfast-
5egg whites (Optional: with pepper)
1 Glass Soy Milk
1 Serving Unsweetened Oatmeal
1 apple
1 glass orange juice watered down

Mid morning snack
1 apple
handfull of almonds
1 bottle water (500ml)

Lunch:
1 can tuna (Optional: 1 tbsp mayo)
1/2 cup Brown rice or Whole Wheat pasta
1 cup broccoli
1 cup milk (2% or less)
1/2 cup yogurt (lowfat low sugar)

Mid day snack
protein shake OR Protein bar
1 bottle water (500ml)

Dinner
1 Large Chicken breast (Optional: Seasoned) (grilled, poached, baked)
1 cup brown rice
2 Cup Assorted veggies
1 serving Beans/peas/or other legume
1 bottle water (500ml)

Bedtime Snack
1 orange
handfull unsalted nuts
1 bottle water (500ml)

Day 2.

Breakfast:
Egg white omlett
- 4 egg whites
- onion
- garlic
- peppers

1 glass soy milk or watered down juice
1 orange
1 serving unsweetened oatmeal
handfull unsalted nuts
2 tbsp peanut butter (for oatmeal)

mid morning snack:
handfull nuts
bottle of water:

Lunch:
NO DAIRY PRE RACE!

1 can tuna
1 protein bar
1 bottle water

After race (snack)
1 bottle water
1 orange
1 apple

Making a meal plan is easy for racing,

1. No dairy on the day of the race until the race is over (you will barf if your riding hard)
2. High protein (lean meat) High carb (good carbs) Low sodium (you will dehydrate quicker with higher sodium)
3. Eat healthy, but eat food you like.
4. Dont over eat on race day, Have a good high protein breakfast.
5. spread out your food over 6-7 meals in the day, this will keep your body metabolizing food better thus giving you more energy.

A GOOD WEBSITE TO MAKE MEAL PLANS ON IS http://www.fitday.com IT IS A FREE ONLINE MEAL PLANNER IT TELLS YOU THE CALORIES, FAT, PROTEIN, CARBS.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 2:34 Quote
Excellent, thanks for posting that up. tup

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 at 2:46 Quote
gabor wrote:
Excellent, thanks for posting that up. tup
No problem, I just noticed a lot of threads here asking how to train for racing and getting in shape and stuff and some of the info was good and then some of the info was missing from it, SO i decided to write a huge thing about it for anyone who is trying to get in better shape for racing.

Also if anyone has any questions, You can post them here or write on my NoteBoard.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
thanks for this!

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 9:17 Quote
problem for me is i dont know what half those excersizes are ....

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:47 Quote
kikker800 wrote:

Search on youtube.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
MathiasROlsen wrote:
kikker800 wrote:

Search on youtube.

good idea

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
kikker800 wrote:
MathiasROlsen wrote:
kikker800 wrote:

Search on youtube.

good idea

or google them

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:58 Quote
Good guide good workout, not too much emphasis on 'the guns' I like that.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 23:34 Quote
wonder-kid wrote:
Good guide good workout, not too much emphasis on 'the guns' I like that.

well if you wanna be a turnip boy, Biking not your sport haha

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 3:54 Quote
Can i just ask why do you say no dairy pre-race?

Before my roller hockey club shut down i played with an ex-german international player who I saw drinking semi-skimmed milk before a tournament. Whilst not as rough as something like downhill racing its still a very intense and rough game.

edit: just read the little bit at the bottom (im a muppet yes) but my point still stands...ive seen and also myself drunk milk then done highly active things where your bouncing around and never got sick as long as ive given it 15-20 minutes before hand.

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 23:21 Quote
awesome post very helpful

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 0:29 Quote
Milk makes you bloated, and makes you feel bloated

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
Deadlift is a back exercise. Why don't you have any row exercise? Like seated row, dumbell row, t-bar row etc? Don't forget the lats mate Smile

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014191
Mobile Version of Website