Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
Suspension dudes. I've bought my first downhill sled in a few years and need some suspension tips. I'm running boxxer world cup forks and dhx rc4 on it, anyone got any tips to run it in a sweet spot? Forks are mainly the confusing bit.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:32 Quote
goytay wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

Charger damper and a 2019 air spring will be very very good and best value of the three. Don't want a single crown on a beast like a gambler. Use the rest of the cash for a bike park trip
Think I will go with the charger damper , does anyone knows if the charger damper 2 also fits?

Not absolutely sure, but i heard that the charger2,will not fit the older 35mm stanchions. the thread pitch is different.

Correct the new one is for 2019+, the old charger dampers will probably start going up in price now. I managed to get one from TF Tuned for £240 the other week (less than the trade price according to rsfsus) which I presume was a pricing error as it immediatley went up to £360 after I ordered it

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 1:42 Quote
cazzamazz wrote:
Suspension dudes. I've bought my first downhill sled in a few years and need some suspension tips. I'm running boxxer world cup forks and dhx rc4 on it, anyone got any tips to run it in a sweet spot? Forks are mainly the confusing bit.

Whack 3 tokens in the air chamber. Pump them up so you have 20% sag when standing on the bike. Adjust rebound and compression to suit

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
cazzamazz wrote:

Whack 3 tokens in the air chamber. Pump them up so you have 20% sag when standing on the bike. Adjust rebound and compression to suit

Make your air spring adjustments based on feel. If you are bottoming out the fork then sure add some tokens. If it feels like it lacks midstroke. support then tokens will just make it worse. Tell us what it feels like and what you want it to feel like and we can give you some ideas.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
cazzamazz wrote:

Make your air spring adjustments based on feel. If you are bottoming out the fork then sure add some tokens. If it feels like it lacks midstroke. support then tokens will just make it worse. Tell us what it feels like and what you want it to feel like and we can give you some ideas.

Rockshox has an app called Trailhead gives you a base line based on the info you input, after that you can adjust for your liking.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
Thanks guys, just off to the local hill to play about with it.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
Need help please! I have a 2015 boxxer wc.
Did a full service yesterday , went to ride this morning everything fine , but coming home realized that the suspension is sitting very high , at 215mm More precisely.
Removed the fork from bike and looks like that the air side is very hard to compress and seems stuck!
Going to race this weekend and need this suspension!

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
Did a full service yesterday , went to ride this morning everything fine , but coming home realized that the suspension is sitting very high , at 215mm More precisely.
Removed the fork from bike and looks like that the air side is very hard to compress and seems stuck!
Sounds more like troubleshooting than setup, assuming you used the same settings.
Have you tried letting out the air to see if the fork will compress, then air back up?
Does the Boxxer WC have Solo Air? Did you clean/lube the air spring? If so, could there be grease plugging the Neg air equalizer tube?

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
brianl wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Sounds more like troubleshooting than setup, assuming you used the same settings.
Have you tried letting out the air to see if the fork will compress, then air back up?
Does the Boxxer WC have Solo Air? Did you clean/lube the air spring? If so, could there be grease plugging the Neg air equalizer tube?
Sorry if it was the wrong place
Opened up and found out that a piece of grease plugging like you said and also there air leaking through the bottom leg screw. Let's see if it will hold up

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Getting a squelching sound when my boxxer WC is being compressed, is it just paranoia?

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
Are factory settings the best option for the average rider? Most of the times I find them too harsh.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
cazzamazz wrote:
Getting a squelching sound when my boxxer WC is being compressed, is it just paranoia?

It's probably just oil being pushed thru the damper my lyrik makes some weird noises too.. as long as it doesn't sound like grinding and everything works good you should be fine

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
Are factory settings the best option for the average rider? Most of the times I find them too harsh.

only if you are exactly the definition of average, which brings up the question what is average??

or in fewer words

no

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 4:02 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:

I always found suggested settings too harsh, and I think the less your weight the harsher you find those settings.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
Hmm, brown oil outta my domain 180mms, don't think previous owner used suspension oil

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011107
Mobile Version of Website