Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
shadow-flier wrote:
Just taken delivery of a new bike with Fox 36 Performance fork, and when I opened up the top cap to remove the pre-installed air token, there was oil in the chamber (and lightly covering the token). Is this normal/ok, or should there be no oil in that part of the fork?

I believe it's normal, if you look at the service manual they call for oil up top can't rember what weight though

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=987

Says 3cc of fox gold 20wt in the air chamber

Excellent. Many thanks (makes mental note to read the whole manual next time Confused )

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 19:09 Quote
shadow-flier wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

I believe it's normal, if you look at the service manual they call for oil up top can't rember what weight though

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=987

Says 3cc of fox gold 20wt in the air chamber

Excellent. Many thanks (makes mental note to read the whole manual next time Confused )

Not worries man.

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
Hi
Do you know the meaning of this rock shox custom tune [ML1 HVI DB]

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
Hi guys, I understand how the HSC and LSC work but when I close or open the HSC I can feel the fork stiffen up ( just compressing with hands/body ), I’m finding it hard to notice an difference with the LSC when closing and opening.
Is it posible the cartridge needs a bleed ? What possible issues could cause the LSC not to work??

Any sus nerds around here ? ????

Fork - 2016 fo 36 rc2

Thanks !

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 22:18 Quote
You shouldn’t notice it bouncing on the fork. It’s more of a supportive type compression that should blow off when an impact happens. Try leaning on the front end slowly and see if you notice a difference

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
Good day y'all,
probably this question was asked many times, but I can not find a solution so here it goes:
Will a rockshox rct coil which is for a Transition Patrol fit my Yt Capra if 230x60 measurements are identical? What does it mean [shockname] for [certain bike name]? Is it a tuning? Can I use my existing rockshox super deluxe r mounting hardware for the swap?
Cheers guyys

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
Peeps

So i have an evil offering and they recommend a Low compression low rebound tune on air shocks.

But i can get a good deal on a med tuned coil

Will it make a difference ???? Not the coil the tune

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Peeps

So i have an evil offering and they recommend a Low compression low rebound tune on air shocks.

Yes

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 22:31 Quote
davehwa wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:
Peeps

Yes

In what way i have heard people say it makes no difference

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
davehwa wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:
Peeps

Yes

In what way i have heard people say it makes no difference

You may end up in a situation where the shock feels over damped even though you have the rebound or compression knobs all the way open.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
shadow-flier wrote:
Just taken delivery of a new bike with Fox 36 Performance fork, and when I opened up the top cap to remove the pre-installed air token, there was oil in the chamber (and lightly covering the token). Is this normal/ok, or should there be no oil in that part of the fork?

There is supposed to be oil in there but there are numerous reports of current model fox forks having way more oil than there should be. I purchased the Marz Z1 (which is basically a budget 36) and I have had real issues where one ride it will be super plush and the next the air spring is harsh and ramps up super aggressively. I'm thinking this likely has something to do with the assembly and despite the fact it should only need an oil change am planning on sending it out for a full rebuild in the off season.

I know zero about where that air spring oil ends up but it has me wondering if it could contaminate the port that neutralizes pressure between the positive and negative spring. Would love someone's input on that who has more knowledge on how the internals of these forks work.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 20:37 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:

As others have said, yes, it makes a difference. Think of the damper "base tune" as the counterpart to the spring. If your bike was supposed to have a Medium spring and someone used a Soft, the bike will probably have too little support.

The good news is the Offering has a 2.55:1 average leverage ratio. This is ideal for a Medium damper tune, assuming you're an average-sized rider.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
I've just bought a used MRP Ribbon coil 29". 140mm on a hardtail. I weigh 85 kg/187 pounds, medium spring. Any set up suggestions?

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
metaam wrote:
I've just bought a used MRP Ribbon coil 29". 140mm on a hardtail. I weigh 85 kg/187 pounds, medium spring. Any set up suggestions?

Lube the lowers very frequently. It's easy to do and the fork has issues with friction. No need to clean it too carefully when you're servicing frequently.

Use thicker than recommended suspension fluid in warm weather (ex. 15 wt) and recommended fluid in cold weather (5 wt).

Start with minimal Ramp Control and increase as necessary.

Minimal rebound damping.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
Thanks. Slick honey for the lowers? Also what's your idea of very frequently?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015172
Mobile Version of Website