Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
Read the manual of your fork and it will literally tell you everything you need to know.

But, to answer your questions, MOST fork manufacturers recommend every 50 hours for a lower leg service

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
metaam wrote:
Thanks. Slick honey for the lowers? Also what's your idea of very frequently?

Grease

Almost any thin grease is fine - non-webbing is best. Many "fork greases" are just repackaged Slickoleum - not because Slickoleum is best, it's just cheap and it's decent. Rock n Roll products are particularly good.

Service interval

The recommended interval for servicing the lowers is max. 50 hours in good conditions and max. 30 in poor conditions. My fork feels immensely better - night-and-day difference - for about one hour after a service, so it's clear why World Cup downhillers get their products serviced every few hours. 10 - 20 hours seems like a reasonable compromise and you'll soon be able to do it in under ten minutes.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
Primo123 wrote:
Read the manual of your fork and it will literally tell you everything you need to know.

But, to answer your questions, MOST fork manufacturers recommend every 50 hours for a lower leg service

Yes, but it's also useful to talk to owners, as R-M-R has kindly demonstrated.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
My fork feels immensely better - night-and-day difference - for about one hour after a service, so it's clear why World Cup downhillers get their products serviced every few hours. 10 - 20 hours seems like a reasonable compromise and you'll soon be able to do it in under ten minutes.

^^^ yes

After servicing my fork - Oh man my bike feels so smooth. I'm a badass for doing this myself
After 2 rides - Ah man, all that dust is in there so much stiction! I've spoiled myself!
After a while - Meh, bike is good enough - I don't really want to get all messy again. I'm not good enough that it matters anyway.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
serveace wrote:
After servicing my fork - Oh man my bike feels so smooth. I'm a badass for doing this myself
After 2 rides - Ah man, all that dust is in there so much stiction! I've spoiled myself!
After a while - Meh, bike is good enough - I don't really want to get all messy again. I'm not good enough that it matters anyway.

Exactly. The first half-hour of riding is incredible - frictionless bliss. As you said, it's empowering to know you can do it yourself and it's not a hard job.

I would add a fourth tier to your schedule:

• After about 100 hours: Dang, why are my hands so sore? My hands are killing me. Maybe I need new grips. Those Rev grips look interesting. Or how about that Fasst Flexx bar? Have I checked my tire pressure, lately? Maybe those weirdos on 3.25" tires are on to something. I'll try 12 psi, that should help. Wait ... when was the last time I did my fork ... Eek

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
Hi guys. What is better for cornering? Faster or slower rebound?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
metaam wrote:
Thanks. Slick honey for the lowers? Also what's your idea of very frequently?

Grease

Almost any thin grease is fine - non-webbing is best. Many "fork greases" are just repackaged Slickoleum - not because Slickoleum is best, it's just cheap and it's decent. Rock n Roll products are particularly good.

Service interval

The recommended interval for servicing the lowers is max. 50 hours in good conditions and max. 30 in poor conditions. My fork feels immensely better - night-and-day difference - for about one hour after a service, so it's clear why World Cup downhillers get their products serviced every few hours. 10 - 20 hours seems like a reasonable compromise and you'll soon be able to do it in under ten minutes.
as you stated, slickoleum/ slick honey/ SRAM butter are all the same exact product. It's readily available and does a great job IMO.

I don't know how accurate it is, but SRAM told me that they use it because it dissolves when mixed with fork oil. Because it dissolves it can be used when assembling dampers without risk of blocking any ports or shims.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
Hi guys. What is better for cornering? Faster or slower rebound?

Faster, within reason.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 22:40 Quote
Hello! I have a problem with the Fox 32 fit RL, in the end she shoots and knocks, does not stop. what could be?
adjustments work, rebound is configured and lock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMSO42B8s4

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Hey
not a suspension setup but problem

Have a monarch RL (XV can) with 0 rides and 5 years old
today I opened to do maintenance, just clean, put 3 or 4 ml of RS 0/30 oil and RS grease
Now cant close again the air can!
this is my billion monarch maintenance, never happened this to me

any tips

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
Hey
not a suspension setup but problem

Have a monarch RL (XV can) with 0 rides and 5 years old
today I opened to do maintenance, just clean, put 3 or 4 ml of RS 0/30 oil and RS grease
Now cant close again the air can!
this is my billion monarch maintenance, never happened this to me

any tips
Set the rebound full turtle compress the shock then slide the canister on, with such a small negative spring there can be a lot of push back.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
I have a fox float sv shock. I find that the rebound isn't slow enough with it at max slow.

Should I get fox to put heavier weigh oil in it or get them to shim the stack? Its still under warranty, so I'm not touching it yet.

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
talkingspoon wrote:
I have a fox float sv shock. I find that the rebound isn't slow enough with it at max slow.

Should I get fox to put heavier weigh oil in it or get them to shim the stack? Its still under warranty, so I'm not touching it yet.

Most shocks can be slowed down to the point they're locked down. I'm concerned your damper is blown. Either way, it needs to be opened up. Have a shop look at it while it's still under warranty.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 5:17 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
talkingspoon wrote:

Most shocks can be slowed down to the point they're locked down. I'm concerned your damper is blown. Either way, it needs to be opened up. Have a shop look at it while it's still under warranty.

I don't think its blown as everything works as it should. I have 280 psi in the shock ( on a slope bike) i m just not sure if I should have different oil put in.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 at 5:58 Quote
talkingspoon wrote:
I don't think its blown as everything works as it should. I have 280 psi in the shock ( on a slope bike) i m just not sure if I should have different oil put in.

The pressure is on the high side of average and you probably want the rebound slower than average to handle landings, not rock gardens. There's little you can do to change the low-speed rebound, other than to change the oil, so yes, you'll want thicker oil. Keep in mind this will also affect the compression.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006561
Mobile Version of Website