Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
Granda wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

Yeah but i have hit some features pretty hard and it's still 15mm off full bottom out.

air springs are hyper non linear at bottom out, so you may be able to just set air presure 2,3,4 psi less than current to soften enough to get full travel, from where you are at.

I run next to no hsc,lsc all the time. 1 or 2 clicks max, there was a story recently about wc riders, most had very little lsc,hsc i think the highest was 7 clicks (from full upon)

also i don't bottom out my fork on virtually any rides i do these days, there is normally an inch or more left, but i'm not doing mad drops and huuuuge shit lol. i get about 150-160 of the 180

I am using 50% HSC for an X2 and 36 for the big drops and little LSC for better corner traction. Bottomed out badly last week which is why I went with the high values for HSC

X2 settings are a bit wierd. HSC is more of a blow off threshold than actual HSC, and there is a huge amount of crossover between high and low, so adding hsc with lsc wide open probably won't make a lot of difference. Setting up X2s can be a real pain as every time you add any low or high, you will then need to make changes to the other in order to keep them feeling the same. If that makes any sense at all...

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Granda wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

air springs are hyper non linear at bottom out, so you may be able to just set air presure 2,3,4 psi less than current to soften enough to get full travel, from where you are at.

I run next to no hsc,lsc all the time. 1 or 2 clicks max, there was a story recently about wc riders, most had very little lsc,hsc i think the highest was 7 clicks (from full upon)

also i don't bottom out my fork on virtually any rides i do these days, there is normally an inch or more left, but i'm not doing mad drops and huuuuge shit lol. i get about 150-160 of the 180

I am using 50% HSC for an X2 and 36 for the big drops and little LSC for better corner traction. Bottomed out badly last week which is why I went with the high values for HSC

X2 settings are a bit wierd. HSC is more of a blow off threshold than actual HSC, and there is a huge amount of crossover between high and low, so adding hsc with lsc wide open probably won't make a lot of difference. Setting up X2s can be a real pain as every time you add any low or high, you will then need to make changes to the other in order to keep them feeling the same. If that makes any sense at all...

Didn’t realise that. More fiddling to do then Book

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
just installed latest debonair shaft on my 160 pike

almost 10 psi less than before to make 25% sag, 6 click rebound, and 3 clicks lsc from fast, and one token.

first ride was great, the second ride on really fast rocky trails and the suspension feels very stiff like it did not absorb the bigger rocks, kicks, and ramps to fast and not in control (before was buttery smooth)

any suggestions

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
just installed latest debonair shaft on my 160 pike

almost 10 psi less than before to make 25% sag, 6 click rebound, and 3 clicks lsc from fast, and one token.

first ride was great, the second ride on really fast rocky trails and the suspension feels very stiff like it did not absorb the bigger rocks, kicks, and ramps to fast and not in control (before was buttery smooth)

any suggestions

Do you have HSC adjustability? If not, sounds like it could do with another token and less pressure. Also - did you have the compression settings open when setting sag.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
I’d take out the token. As you’re going deeper into the travel on the big hits the air spring is ramping up too hard.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I’d take out the token. As you’re going deeper into the travel on the big hits the air spring is ramping up too hard.

Second removing the token. From what you describe the fork is harsh on big hits, i.e. ramping up too much. Adding tokens adds end stroke ramp up. Sounds like you want less of that.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
ramps to fast

Reducers (tokens) create ramp. Too much ramp = too little positive volume. Remove a token.

If that doesn't solve it, reduce high-speed compression damping.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
R-M-R how do you feel about coil shocks on the Marin Alpine trail?

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
Mildly progressive, so not a top candidate, but not so flat that it's a terrible idea.

Options to improve the compatibility:

• Progressive spring and/or longer bumper
• More compression damping
• Less sag

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
i think the guide is good, but in light of it being more for rookies i would recomend opening up compression circuit all the way to avoid having lsc,hsc partially interfering with the straight spring rate. if the spring rate is correct, tuning the lsc,hsc becomes a no brainer. just my 2 bits
'you cant tune around an incorrect spring rate'

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
lifted-d wrote:

You can't tune around incorrect anything, though there is a tolerance range and a range of user preferences.

lifted-d wrote:
i would recomend opening up compression circuit all the way to avoid having lsc,hsc partially interfering with the straight spring rate.

To clarify, do you mean this in the context of testing spring rate in a workshop or during normal riding? Sag can still be evaluated with compression damping and some damping is needed during normal riding.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
Any alternatives for the fox bleeding syringe?

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 18:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

You can't tune around incorrect anything, though there is a tolerance range and a range of user preferences.

lifted-d wrote:
i would recomend opening up compression circuit all the way to avoid having lsc,hsc partially interfering with the straight spring rate.

To clarify, do you mean this in the context of testing spring rate in a workshop or during normal riding? Sag can still be evaluated with compression damping and some damping is needed during normal riding.

i'm saying as it pertains to newbies, get the compression out of the equation as much as possible to make correct spring rate selection/ air pressure right first, then later once it has been determined to be quite good, then proceed to adjust compression tune. experienced suspension pros don't need this thread at all

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 19:52 Quote
So I want to do one of these single pivot bikes but keep hesitating on pulling the trigger because I can’t decide where to go with the shock. I’m looking at 130mm of rear travel. I was looking at using a 2” stroke with a small air can. Would a larger volume air can still give me a lively ride? I ask because I’m over 90kg in riding kit and I wonder if I’d want something like the CCDB or the X2 or if the DB in-line would suffice? Would I be ok with a longer stroke, say 2.5” or would it feel mushy and unresponsive with that much stroke?
Admittedly, I’m not much of a suspension connoisseur so any help would be appreciated.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023590
Mobile Version of Website