Why did they stop making the OLD JACKALS!

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Why did they stop making the OLD JACKALS!
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:51 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
mattdgray wrote:
so if not a jackal wats a good frame for around the same money?

i myself love my STP as do every other STP owner i've come across... they're very lightweight, wicked geometry, and crazy tough... it was the "little" things that giant does that persuaded me to buy one...

ie, lack of headtube gusset:

you'll find on most DJ/FR/DH bikes, they weld a lil gusset plate in under the headtube... the problem is, when you're welding metal, the weld becomes the weakest point, and tends to be the first part to crack...

giant integrates their "gusset" right into the downtube through cold forging, thus completely eliminating the gusset weld, making it stronger AND lighter...

it's the little things... tup

shame they cant figure out horizontal dropouts

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
stryke wrote:

true... they used to make horizontal dropout SS XC bikes, but nothing nowadays which is too bad... but it's a small price to pay... they make an STP specific tensioner, which works unbelievably well...

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:56 Quote
iambike4lyf wrote:
my mate used to take the piss outa its weight untill he stripped his p2 cr mo which was actually heavier LOL

that's really not saying much... that's like claiming my car is light because a military tank is heavier...

p2's are retarded heavy...

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
iambike4lyf wrote:
the old ones were BUFF
i had one (for three weeks) untill it was stolen... i actually cryed that day

yeh they were heavily based on looks and that is why i bought 1 but it is an amazing bike
and not that haevy
my mate used to take the piss outa its weight
untill he stripped his p2 cr mo which was actually heavier LOL
lol alot of them get niked im hearing thats y mine with be well insured

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
I'm so relieved that some clown with an STP has brought clarity to this thread.. You of all people shouldn't talking about the Jackal's aesthetic.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
b0cephus wrote:
I'm so relieved that some clown with an STP has brought clarity to this thread.. You of all people shouldn't talking about the Jackal's aesthetic.
wat?

FL
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:51 Quote
im gonna miss the old jackals, not gonna part with mine though even if i do change frames to something different as i know it will become a rare frame just like the old evil imperials and spooky metals heads etc
long live the humpbacked jackal

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
it wont become a rare frame because theres nothing all that special about it

it will just be a frame, with a strange hump

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:53 Quote
stryke wrote:

wtf, the jackel is the coolest frame ever made

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:56 Quote
stryke wrote:

It's funny, there's these people that have ridden one, and love it, and people that have seen pictures, and hate it.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
a) who are you to make the assumption that we've never ridden a jackal?

b) since you're such an advocate of the frame, explain to me the superiority of having an ugly-ass hump vs. not having one...

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:25 Quote
lilwalters wrote:

b) since you're such an advocate of the frame, explain to me the superiority of having an ugly-ass hump vs. not having one...
The hump serves as the main gusset between the head, top, and downtubes. Strong, stiff, unbreakable. Look at the measurements of the two Jackals, and you're not going to see much difference, less chainstay length. That length difference is negligible if you are running the horizontal dropouts, though. The weight is about a pound difference, but for a dirt jumper wearing jeans, skate shoes, and a full face, does it really matter? Unless you're out and about in a spandex kit, I doubt it. The new Jackal frame is great, don't get me wrong... It just looks like any old riot, TOP, etc... frame out there.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
stryke wrote:
lilwalters wrote:
mattdgray wrote:
so if not a jackal wats a good frame for around the same money?

i myself love my STP as do every other STP owner i've come across... they're very lightweight, wicked geometry, and crazy tough... it was the "little" things that giant does that persuaded me to buy one...

ie, lack of headtube gusset:

you'll find on most DJ/FR/DH bikes, they weld a lil gusset plate in under the headtube... the problem is, when you're welding metal, the weld becomes the weakest point, and tends to be the first part to crack...

giant integrates their "gusset" right into the downtube through cold forging, thus completely eliminating the gusset weld, making it stronger AND lighter...

it's the little things... tup

The STP is amazing!!!. I don't even know why you would pay twice as much money and get the santa cruz. Giant also has amazing warranty service too. Highly recommend the STP to anyone. Who cares about horizontal dropouts, just get a rennen tensioner.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:29 Quote
b0cephus wrote:
lilwalters wrote:

The hump serves as the main gusset between the head, top, and downtubes. Strong, stiff, unbreakable. Look at the measurements of the two Jackals, and you're not going to see much difference, less chainstay length. That length difference is negligible if you are running the horizontal dropouts, though. The weight is about a pound difference, but for a dirt jumper wearing jeans, skate shoes, and a full face, does it really matter? Unless you're out and about in a spandex kit, I doubt it. The new Jackal frame is great, don't get me wrong... It just looks like any old riot, TOP, etc... frame out there.

the weight is going to be more than one pound. you could notice the old jackals weight so much. the old jackals rode really nicely but it was way to overbuilt unless you are a hacker. weight to a dirt jumper is just as important as weight to XC rider. the less weight, the easier it is to throw around and to tricks especially like tailwhips.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 14:29 Quote
Yeah man.. Why did they stopped!!? That totally sucks..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009311
Mobile Version of Website