Vee Dub Club!

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Vee Dub Club!
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
Is this a Mod only except Bonfire thread lol

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
How many miles do you have on yours Gibby?

Hoping mine is an easy sensor to replace as their is nothing wrong with the car performance wise. Everything is running as smoothly.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 9:55 Quote
geezir wrote:

Hoping mine is an easy sensor to replace as their is nothing wrong with the car performance wise. Everything is running as smoothly.

A heck of a lot... 110,000... Basically all highway miles... but still a lot... I'm guessing its the O2 sensor on my car as those are typically the first to go... Which reminds me I need to call the stealership soon...

and ya mines preforming just fine... I was just cruising along the highway and the light came on... Although I haven't been driving it hard since I got the light just in case

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
geezir wrote:

A heck of a lot... 110,000... Basically all highway miles... but still a lot... I'm guessing its the O2 sensor on my car as those are typically the first to go... Which reminds me I need to call the stealership soon...

and ya mines preforming just fine... I was just cruising along the highway and the light came on... Although I haven't been driving it hard since I got the light just in case

Unless it's a specific code being thrown, you're likely looking at either (a) PCV valve, (b) O2 sensor, (c) cat, (d) clogged fuel filter or injectors, or (e) MAF sensor.

I'm sitting at 70,000 miles with no CEL, but am already saving for my timing chain. I was thinking about doing some performance mods in the near future, but think I'll get more benefit out of installing new wheels and tires, a hitch mount bike rack, paying down my principle, and doing my preventative maintenance in advance. Once all of those ducks are in a row, it's chip and exhaust time...

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
robholio wrote:

Unless it's a specific code being thrown, you're likely looking at either (a) PCV valve, (b) O2 sensor, (c) cat, (d) clogged fuel filter or injectors, or (e) MAF sensor.

I'm sitting at 70,000 miles with no CEL, but am already saving for my timing chain. I was thinking about doing some performance mods in the near future, but think I'll get more benefit out of installing new wheels and tires, a hitch mount bike rack, paying down my principle, and doing my preventative maintenance in advance. Once all of those ducks are in a row, it's chip and exhaust time...

Likewise... It'll probably be a while for me though... I'm not getting a specific codes its just the engine malfunction light thing...

What chip are you looking at... APR??

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 10:59 Quote
gibson19 wrote:

Yep. APR 93 octane, or a GIAC. The shop I go to (Matrix Integrated) is an authorized GIAC shop and can custom tune the chip to the after-market exhaust of choice (will do both at the same time), but I like the idea of the cruise control toggle feature for the engine programs if I decide to turn it off to drive up to the hill to snowboard, etc.

I haven't driven either to compare yet, but am not really in a rush at this point. My car is plenty fast already bone-stock.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
What mileage should the timing chain be done on VW's? I'm sitting at 94,000 miles right now.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
robholio wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

Yep. APR 93 octane, or a GIAC. The shop I go to (Matrix Integrated) is an authorized GIAC shop and can custom tune the chip to the after-market exhaust of choice (will do both at the same time), but I like the idea of the cruise control toggle feature for the engine programs if I decide to turn it off to drive up to the hill to snowboard, etc.

I haven't driven either to compare yet, but am not really in a rush at this point. My car is plenty fast already bone-stock.

Ya most of the shops here do APR and you can do like 6 hour trials with them... I'd like to get one of the programmable ones too.. Run a 93 octane chipped setting and a stock one so I'm not wasting gas mileage when I'm just puttin around

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
geezir wrote:
What mileage should the timing chain be done on VW's? I'm sitting at 94,000 miles right now.
Between 90,000 and 110,000 miles. You're due.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 11:57 Quote
So I'll have to look into it and see if it's been done already. Fingers crossed on this one.

What kind of price tag are you looking at for a timing chain?

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
geezir wrote:

Not sure, but I'd guess in the $1,200-$1,400 range including labor.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
geezir wrote:
Went out for a drive last night and now my check engine light is on. Hurray!

Mine too!! Frown

teheheheheh Mk4's.

If you dollars to spare picking up a VAGCOM is a handy tool to have in the garage.

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
robholio wrote:
geezir wrote:

Not sure, but I'd guess in the $1,200-$1,400 range including labor.

Sounds about right. It is critical. Mk4's are interference motors, therefor your chain snaps and all hell breaks loose.

As pointed out, it is almost like if you are a decent user and you own a VW you should be a mod...

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 15:50 Quote
$1200-$1400? Good christ! I hope she holds on till May when I'm working again and can afford such a steep bill.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021428
Mobile Version of Website