Dirt Jump Etiquette

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Dirt Jump Etiquette
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
Dirt Jump Etiquette

Compiled from farkin.net/ilmtb.com

1. The first rule of dirt jumping is dig, dig and dig some more. Dirt jumps only exist because people build them, they don't just magically grow out of the ground. Regardless of where they are built, the people who build jumps own them while they exist, end of story.

Helping out with digging is the only way you can earn the right to ride their spot and the only way you will conceivably earn the right to have input on the way the trails progress in the future.

If you ride a spot frequently you are at the very least obligated to spend some time before or after you ride repairing take-offs and landings. If you case a landing or blow through a lip it is your responsibility to fix it. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule for visitors from out of town and so on. Apply it at your discretion.

2. Don’t assume that because you have discovered a wicked set of hidden trails that you immediately inherit the right to broadcast their location. Unless jumps are on council land assume that they are meant to be secret unless someone who is obviously a local tells you otherwise.

3. Take out what you take in. The ground around the trails is not the place to throw your empty chip packets, coke cans, busted inner tubes and used syringes. If the jumps are on private land the owners probably don’t want you using the place as a rubbish dump. Take a plastic bag with you and carry out any rubbish you accumulate during the day.

4. Don’t ride trails when it’s wet unless you have permission from the owners to do so. During dry months limit skidding as much as possible as dry conditions make maintaining jumps more difficult.

5. If you can’t ride a set of trails either go and find a set you can ride or ask the owners for pemission to build a smaller set. Do not under any circumstances assume you have the right to modify any set of trails that are obviously in use to make them easier for you to do.

6. Don't be a snake. If you cut in front of the line waiting to roll-in or cut someone off mid-run you are liable to be abused, threatened, pelted with debris, beaten and buried semi-concious in the middle of a jump. You have been warned.

7. If you are a minor and you have injured yourself doing something you're not supposed to do (say riding a set of secret trails out in the bush when you were supposed to be going to the shop to get mummy some milk) then for the love of all that is holy don't disclose the location of the trails or the details of your accident to your litigation-happy guardians.

Trails in Australia dand all over the worl HAVE been plowed after parents chased down the diggers / land owners for public liability when their precious little darlings injured themselves taking a calculated risk. Be the kid who gets your local trails plowed and I guarantee broken bones will be the least of your worries.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
Nicely put. Couldn't agree more with that. Especially 3 and 5.
During the summer my buddies and I built this nice slopestyle trail which was ruined by some little kids who destroyed the lips on all of the jumps, and forced us to move the stepup back almost 10 feet.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
a video my buddy vish and mike made:

Views: 2,831    Faves: 57    Comments: 21

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
joefrommonroe wrote:

nice.....

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
oh....keep in mind, vish is a kiwi, and mike has lived in hawaii his whole life. not bad accents considering lol!

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
zhersh wrote:
joefrommonroe wrote:

nice.....

Lol thats funny and true

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
another 1 for the rules should be always make sure that if you find a wicked set of jumps noone else is building there becasue if they are you dont have a clue what they want

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
yh hopefully alot of people will read what you have written mate, cause not many people i ride with help out with digging, repair lips when they break them ect

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 11:36 Quote
yer im pressing invite because this needs to be read

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
Sweet guys im glad you like it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
I agree completely.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
AMEN TO THAT SET OF RULES

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
This should be make a law!

I hate when I spend time making jumps and people case them and wreck the landing and dont bother fixing it

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 16:16 Quote
Should it be a stiky,

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
hardtail100 wrote:
another 1 for the rules should be always make sure that if you find a wicked set of jumps noone else is building there becasue if they are you dont have a clue what they want

Not always true, if what your doing is acceptable and helpful to the others using the area then there should be no problems. (i.e. fixing lips, removing weeds, etc)

This is NOT an excuse to go and hack up your local jumps...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013280
Mobile Version of Website